WineBoard
Plum & Goat Cheese CousCous - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Plum & Goat Cheese CousCous (/thread-22665.html)

Plum & Goat Cheese CousCous - Jackie - 06-24-2013

The plums are coming in right now. They are sweet and delicious and don't last long, so I am trying to find new plum recipes that are not loaded with sugar. Here's one that I came across the looks delicious. Haven't made it yet but I am planning to. It might be a little something different for a 4th of July get together, so I thought I'd share it.

1) Make 1 cup (uncooked) couscous -- regular or whole wheat, according to directions. Fluff with fork and transfer to medium bowl.
2) Add in 3 chopped ripe plums, 2 thinly sliced scallions, 2 oz crumbled goat cheese, 1/4 chopped fresh mint.
3) Whisk 3 Tablespoons of honey (or Agave) and 3-1/2 Tablespoons of white (or dark*) balsamic vinegar together until honey is dissolved. Pour over couscous and gently toss.
4) Season with salt and pepper to taste.

*Dark balsamic will turn the couscous mixture dark.

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Jackie

RE: Plum & Goat Cheese CousCous - Jackie - 06-24-2013

OK. So I made this tonight and it was delicious. I used whole wheat couscous and agave nectar instead of honey. At the last minute, I decided to use Rice Wine Vinegar in place of the white balsamic... for a milder flavor. I could have cut back on the agave because it was sweeter than necessary.

I'll post a picture. It was so FAST to throw together. I'll make this again for sure.

RE: Plum & Goat Cheese CousCous - TheEngineer - 06-27-2013

[quote='Jackie' pid='105373' dateline='1372127474']
OK. So I made this tonight and it was delicious. I used whole wheat couscous and agave nectar instead of honey. At the last minute, I decided to use Rice Wine Vinegar in place of the white balsamic... for a milder flavor. I could have cut back on the agave because it was sweeter than necessary.

I'll post a picture. It was so FAST to throw together. I'll make this again for sure.
[/quote]

Sounds nice Jackie. Did the Rice Wine vinegar have enough depth to cover for the White Balsamic?

RE: Plum & Goat Cheese CousCous - Jackie - 06-28-2013

Sounds nice Jackie. Did the Rice Wine vinegar have enough depth to cover for the White Balsamic?
[/quote]

For me, yes. But I haven't made it with the white, so I can't be sure. I personally don't like too much acid in anything, so it worked well for me.

I made it again tonight with Israeli couscous with a splash of Pomegranate Molasses and pomegranate seeds. That gave it a lot of crunch... and worked nicely.

I like goat cheese but, frankly, it was also very tasty before I added the goat cheese. Next time I may leave out the goat cheese and add more plums and pomegranate -- concentrating more on the fruit flavors.

Might be nice with lamb and a good ____?? wine??