WineBoard
Fox Run - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Fox Run (/thread-22588.html)

Fox Run - Innkeeper - 03-28-2013

Over the weekend we realized that there was no Pinot Noir in the house. We are having ham for Easter and really didn't have a lot of time for shopping. I found that I could get two bottles of Estate Grown from Fox Run with tax and shipping for what it would have cost for one decent bottle down town.

I ordered them and then called to be sure they would get here in time. They assured me that they would go out with regular FedEx shipping on Monday, and should be here on time. They arrived yesterday and are resting in our cellar until Sunday. Will let you know how they turned out.

RE: Fox Run - TheEngineer - 03-28-2013

Nice. I had actually planned on opening up a Ravines for my friends on Easter too.

When I saw the posting, I thought it was referencing Terry Fox, my hero growing up. (from Wikipedia..editted)

He was a Canadian athlete who in 1980, with one leg having been amputated, embarked on a cross-Canada run to raise money and awareness for cancer research, the Marathon of Hope . Fox hoped to raise one dollar for each of Canada's 24 million people. He began with little fanfare from St. John's, Newfoundland, in April and ran the equivalent of a full marathon every day (prosthetics way back when were nothing like what they have today). I remember the early days, he collected money in a KFC bucket.

Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi), and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research; over $500 million has been raised in his name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjgTlCTluPA

RE: Fox Run Pinot Noir - Innkeeper - 04-01-2013

OK, I challenge each and all of you to find a better Pinot for $14.99! It was wonderful. It was colored like Pinot should be, unlike the Syrah like Pinots coming from other parts these days. It gave cherries and raspberries on the nose and upfront. There was a hint of spice in the smooth middle, and it finished splendidly.

We matched it with ham, winter squash, potato salad, and cranberry cornbread. Three of us killed two bottles of it. A great Easter feast.

The front label says "Produced and Bottled", but the back label says they grew the grapes on estate.

RE: Fox Run - winoweenie - 04-01-2013

Enny chance youse mite give us dummies on the board some indication where this Fox Run stuff be from? WW

RE: Fox Run - Innkeeper - 04-01-2013

You been there WW, but for the others its on the West Bank of Lake Seneca in the Finger Lakes.

RE: Fox Run - Kcwhippet - 04-01-2013

Yep, Verne. You were there. We had lunch there together - all of us. Remember???

RE: Fox Run - winoweenie - 04-01-2013

Oh THAT Fox Run. I dint even think of the FL region whenced him said GOOD PINOT Noir. Good Food...Good Company...... Good SWs'. WW

RE: Fox Run - Thomas - 04-02-2013

[i]"The front label says "Produced and Bottled", but the back label says they grew the grapes on estate."[/i]

This information intrigues me. I will have to investigate.

My first reaction is that it might be a blend of Fox Run grapes and grapes brought in from elsewhere, so they could not give it an Estate Bottled designation, which requires 100% from the estate. I will ask Scott or Peter about it.

As WW may (or may not be learning) things have changed in the Finger Lakes. Maybe another visit is in order. My room rates are competitive with Glenora. Oh, and we did in fact finish remodeling the kitchen...

RE: Fox Run - Kcwhippet - 04-02-2013

After all these years I would think the remodel was finished.

RE: Fox Run - Thomas - 04-02-2013

It was...about three years ago.

RE: Fox Run - winoweenie - 04-02-2013

Heck fire Tomasso I loved the chute from the kitchen to the basement. WW[/i]

RE: Fox Run - Thomas - 04-03-2013

Funny you should say that, WW. I tried to persuade Anne that we should maintain a small portion of that chute so that we could spirit away composting material directly into a bin located in the root cellar underneath. She took my suggestion as proof of my potential for being crazy, pointing out that the bin would be an aroma-filled invitation to vermin of all kinds, not to mention the vapors that would come up to the kitchen.

What do women know about these things?

RE: Fox Run - Kcwhippet - 04-03-2013

According to Judy, they apparently know a lot more than men.

RE: Fox Run - Thomas - 04-04-2013

Of course, that's what a woman would think...but we know better.