WineBoard
Osso Bucco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Osso Bucco (/thread-223.html)

- mrjuan - 10-17-2001

I was wondering if someone could suggest a good white that would go great with Osso Bucco. Would a Fume Blanc go well with it? or a light red wine?

- Innkeeper - 10-17-2001

Hi Mr Juan, and welcome to the Wine Board. My first thoughts turn to Sangiovese. There are some nice ones being made out there in California as well as in Washington State. Look for less than 12.6% alcohol. Chianti, made mostly from the same grape is also readily available. For the lightest look for plain ole Chianti, not Classico or Riverva.

For a white, you would need a very muscular one such as a Rhone type. Terre Rouge of Fiddletown makes one called Enigma, Sierra Foothills. It has 63% Marsanne, 30% Viognier, and 7% Roussanne. It weighs in at 14.3% alcohol, and 6 grams of acidity. It would work. For others of this ilk check out www.rhonerangers.com Don't know of any Italian whites that would work. (At this point Roberto will probably weigh in).

- winoweenie - 10-17-2001

Hi there Mr. Juan and welcome to the board. A WHITE with Osso Bucco!!!! You would be drummed out of Italy with not one pinch of the cheek for such a travesty. RED......RED.....REd.... Don' kere which'un, jes red. SHEESH !!!!! WW

- Thomas - 10-17-2001

I like Dolcetto or Refosco with Osso Buco. But if you want white try Vernaccia or Greco di Tufo.

- Innkeeper - 10-17-2001

Should have said Roberto or Foodie would weigh in.

- wondersofwine - 10-18-2001

The only time I've had osso buco in the last few years was at a wine dinner in Nantucket where it was paired with a zinfandel from Jed Steele. The pairing seemed to work. I could see it with the Dolcetto also (I'm not familiar with the Refosco wine).

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2001

Wouldn't drink Vernaccia with anything stronger than simply poached pogy. And exactly what is Greco di Tufo?

- Botafogo - 10-18-2001

IK, Greco di Tufo is a nice, kind of almondy white made from Grechetto in Campania. As to the alleged heresy of white wine with Osso Bucco, there are MANY traditional preparations using white both in the preparation and served with the dish, kind of a summer version.

I'm big on Aglianico or Nero d'Avola with this dish.

Roberto

- Thomas - 10-18-2001

Actually, my version of Osso Buco does quite well either with white or red, as long as the acidity of the wine is balanced with nice fruit. But then, I am light on the tomato cooked down in the dish. Remember: this is a veal dish, primarily. I know there are other meats used--but it's veal for me.

I also do not use celery in the dish, but I haven't a clue if that helps or hinders the wine color choice--just do not like the petroleum-like power of celery in cooking.

- Botafogo - 10-18-2001

Foodie, this is half in jest and half serious:

did you have some traumatic experience re strong aromas as a child? Anyone who doesn't like both Celery and Moscato has got "issues". I personally CANNOT drink a mimosa (sparkling wine and orange juice) as it always reminds me of a violent reaction I once had to some fermenting OJ I chugged on a hot day.

Roberto

- Thomas - 10-18-2001

It is possible, Roberto, but I can't remember anything specific, unless you count the time I drank a gallon of Moscato while I ate six pounds of celery--for some reason I felt sick afterwards...

In seriousness, my palate perceives some foods as overpowering; In vegetables, I do not care for celery, sweet potatoes, zucchini, cucumber and something else but I cannot remember what it is. I Like almost all other veg and legumes, meats and cheeses. And I have a limited desire for sweets. When I was a child, I ate whole lemons for enjoyment!!!!

In wine, I also enjoy a limited number of sweets, but I especially dislike the forward nature of sweet muscats--I like dry muscats (technically, Gewurztraminer and Riesling are in the muscat family of grapes).

So there you are. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-18-2001).]

- Botafogo - 10-18-2001

just for calibration, how do you feel about:

fennel / anise / liquorice

Tangerines / apricots (it's a musk thing)

Coriander

Tumeric

Cilantro

really hoppy beer?

This is getting interesting

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 10-18-2001).]

- Thomas - 10-19-2001

They're all fine with me, except the liquorice--too much sugar. I admit, however, took me a little time to warm up to cilantro, but now I can't get enough.

Love to dip anise in vinegar--great contrasting flavors. I have an anise story:

We have a large grocery chain in NY State called Wegmans. Training at the chain leaves a lot to be desired, and with the kind of stuff we buy, my wife and frequently have to tell the checkout people the names of the foods. One day a checkout lady held up anise and proudly said to my wife, "this is anus, right?"

- winoweenie - 10-19-2001

She was referring to her companion. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] WW

- Thomas - 10-20-2001

Not possible; the checkout lady was alone...