WineBoard
Thoughts on 2009 Bordeaux after the UGC tasting in Toronto - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on 2009 Bordeaux after the UGC tasting in Toronto (/thread-22211.html)

- TheEngineer - 03-13-2012

I was SOOOO looking forward to this tasting. I had a good tasting of the 2008's last year. took off with a bunch of friends to taste the '10's out of the barrel this summer in Bordeaux, so was looking to get my socks blown off from the '09's.So why the long face grasshopper??

Well first of all the venue moved from the nice confines of a Four Seasons to the coldness of large convention center. There were not as many people there this year... Many of the top ends who came to show their '08s that needed good homes did not come to show their highly touted 09's..Angelus amongst others.

So how's about the wines Smile.. they were tough to see behind. A lot of the winery owners told me that the weather (low pressure, etc) was the problems and the wines were not showing well. None of tem knew how long their bottles had been opened. The wines were just not all that attractive coming off the '08 tasting and the '10 tasting. I suspect that travel and them just being bottled had a lot with them being closed down super hard.

It was not just a few wines, the vast majority of the wines tasted shutdown (or at least very reserved to this junior palate). This was no doubt furthered by my cold that I carried through this winter. Having said that, they were very good wines. Lost of structure if you like that kinda stuffand the fruit is rather dense and elegant, if you could see behind that wall of tannins. Consistent tasting. Most of the wines that I tasted tonight I would have no problems owning for a while, good deals on the likes of Cantemerle,Chasse Spleen and Pougeard. I could not tell much difference between a Clerc Milon and a Duhart Milon served from the same table. The Pichon Baron performed well and my wine of the night was a bit of a bruiser, the Chateau Figeac followed by a Pomerol,Chateau Petit Village, the later being a bit ofa bargain compared to the rest of the wines. So overall, I'm glad I dropped a fortune on this vintage, they look to be at least very good wines and some great wines....but I was hoping for a five start blow my socks off night that I did not get.

- winoweenie - 03-13-2012

Dad-Burnit!!!! I hate it whenced that happens. Kina' like when, after a few bottles, you think you've scored Marilyn Monroe and wake up with Marilyn Manson. WW

- TheEngineer - 03-16-2012

hahahah.....welll it wasn't quite Manson. I'm glad I got my hands on a lot of these wines but I juste wanted to be blown away like I was with the '10 barrel samples. I still remember the '10 lynch bages......just a beauty of a wine......

- winoweenie - 03-16-2012

From the ones I've had I really think they are in that "Dumb" stage at present. Think they'll really show well in 8-10. Only bought a few as them suckex do be 'spensive. WW