WineBoard
Need a Suggestion for Red Please? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Need a Suggestion for Red Please? (/thread-21994.html)

- msjdk - 10-25-2011

Any suggestions for a red that is not extremely vinegary or too dry tasting either? Also, do not prefer extremely sweet.

Thanks!

- hotwine - 10-25-2011

Hi and welcome to the board.

Suggest you look for a Beaujolais. They're fruity but not sweet, inexpensive and widely available (in wine shops, but not in supermarkets).

Good luck and let us know what you chose.

- bill@wines.com - 10-26-2011

I agree with Beaujolais, just make sure it is from a Cru Village and not Nouveau which is going to be grapey and sweet!. Also take a look at Barbera and Dolcetto from Italy as well as Grenache from Australia. You should be able to locate all of them in your high end grocery stores or specialty wine retailers. All will be great for the holidays.

Bill@Wines.com

- Innkeeper - 11-02-2011

I agree with Jackie to a point. Many of the wines she recommends are out of our price range tho maybe not yours. A couple of the Merlots may be bigger than what you want to start with.

I would recommend one of the many Cru Beaujolais. These are from specific vineyards and have names other than Beaujolais on the label. Your retailer can help you but in the meantime you can look for wines (not producers) called Morgan, Moulin-a-Vent, Regnie, and Chiroubles. The last two are more structured than the first two which are lighter.

- hotwine - 11-02-2011

Jackie, you can flog that left coast juice till the cows come home..... Beaujolais is still the right answer for this question.

- winoweenie - 11-03-2011

I agree wif' alla' youse but I'll throw in a bottle I've been enjoying for the last 3 weeks the Hahn Monterrey Pinot Noir. It's 12 per by the case here so Imagine Herr In-spe-i-tor Drewski can find it for 4 bucks(jes' joshing) and it fits msjdk's criteria to a T. Long story as to how they've managed to go from 30+ per to 12 but that can be another part of the story. WW

- simko1952 - 11-05-2011

Um...duh Bill Nouveau is not sweet (it is fruity: re - difference between a taste and a flavor) and NOT AVAILABLE at this time. Nice way to confuse.

- Drew - 11-05-2011

Not a very nice way to introduce yourself to the Board on your 1st post simko. We are a friendly bunch here but don't much care for trolls.

- winoweenie - 11-05-2011

+1 simko. Novices don't seem to be able to seperate Sweet from fruity. Bill needs no Wine 101 intro as he is very knowledgeable as are quite a few dudes that frequent our lil' piece of heaven. Now that that's taken care of welcomwe to the board. WW

- Drew - 11-06-2011

I'm going in a different direction since I hate Beaujolais. I never drink it and won't...that said I like the idea of merlot blends like Fidelity by Nick Goldschmidt. Very approachable on release, soft but interesting and moderately complex for little $. The '09 is a merlot/cab blend and the '07 was a killer merlot/cab franc blend.

Drew

- winoweenie - 11-07-2011

Don't you just love it when some novice posts a question, stirs up all kind of responses and arguments and never comes back or doesn't say tankee or nuttin!! WW