WineBoard
Advise on birthday vintage cases -- 92 & 96 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Advise on birthday vintage cases -- 92 & 96 (/thread-2189.html)

- WineDad - 07-01-2000

I'm working on building "birthday vintage" cases for each of my three children. My goal is to give them each a mixed case of wonderful, properly aged wine from the birth year on their 21st birthdays.

I've started with a 96 Lynch-Bages and the St. Jean Cinc Cepages for my 4 year old. And I have a year or two before I need to start the infant's year 2000 case. But I could really use some guidance in finding wines with great aging potential for the 8 year old, born in 92.

My target budget is $600 per case. Some ideas for all three years would be great (realizing we're talking futures for 2000 <g> ), but I particularly need help with the 92's. Any thoughts about what should go into these cases? I'm quite open as to region and variety.

- Bucko - 07-01-2000

1992 was a pretty poor year worldwide. The ones faring best were Vintage Ports, White Burgundies and CA Cabs. The two former ones should be able to go the distance, doubtful on the latter.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 07-01-2000

Wine Dad Welcome to the Board. There are a few 92 Cabs from Calif that should go the distance. Unfortunately, the vintage is 5 years after release so pricing and availabilty will be a problem. Beringer " Pvt Reserve ", Caymus " Special Selection ", Dominus, Joseph Phelps " Backus",Peter Michael " Les Pavots ",Silver Oak "Napa ",Phillip Togni " Napa ", and Ridge " Monte Bello " are the wines that IMHO will go the time frame you`ve outlined. The Vintage ports Bucko reccomended will make it too. Good Luck Winoweenie

- winecollector - 07-01-2000

I agree with what Bucko said, worldwide 92' was a pretty poor year, especially in Europe. You may want to try some southern hemisphere wines. Perhaps South African Pinotage, Austrailian Cabs, New Zealand Cabs, I don't know about Chile & Argentina for 92'. Whatever you do find from 92, unless it's from a producer that your familiar with, I'd recommend opening one yourself to see if it will stand the test of time.

Also, as already mentioned, California made some decent wine in 92, but to find any that are ageworthy may be out of your budget. Just as an example, a bottle of Opus one from that year is probably fetching between $150 to $200. That's why I recommend checking out the wines from down under. You'll be able to fill a whole case with them instead of buying one or two bottles from California.

Another thought- check out winesearcher.com and see what you can find available from 92. Good luck on your search!

- WineDad - 07-01-2000

This is great. Thanks for all the helpful ideas. Starting as late as I have with the 92 and knowing it wasn't a banner year makes it tough. But it looks like my son will see something other than just port in his case in 2013!

Winoweenie: A few of the CA cabs you suggest are familiar to me and show up in searches. Thanks so much. Some budget stretching may be required, but at least I have a direction now.

Bucko: I'm not a big white fan myself (in spite of the Washingtonn Fume that's the glass next to my keyboard at the moment) -- Any particular labels you'd suggest for the Burgundies?

All: The 96 case is giving me lots more options (as I've started earlier and it is generally better years all around). Any really strong suggestions that meet my criteria?

- Bucko - 07-01-2000

I'm not much of a Burg fan either -- just know the 92s were pretty solid. Can't help with names other than the usual big name/big price ones.

Bucko

- winecollector - 07-03-2000

Oops! Went back and double checked on vintage notes, and New Zealand's 92 vintage varied considerably. Scratch New Zealand off the list for 92's.

- jock - 07-08-2000

Coche Dury and Colin Deleger both excellent and ageworthy. Also, both fairly expensive.