WineBoard
1997 Flora Springs Trilogy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1997 Flora Springs Trilogy (/thread-21873.html)

- winoweenie - 08-29-2011

Done' get much better than this hummer! Gorgus nose, and DOTOIG. Will probably hold for another 6-10 but why the blazes wait? If youse gots 'em, drink 'em. WW

- newsguy - 08-31-2011

i had a bottle of the '97 about 3-4 years ago that was surprisingly tannic and fairly tight. glad to hear yours was peaking, WW. sure wish i had more than that one bottle of '97.

really enjoyed my last of four bottles of the '99 trilogy a month ago. it really held its own among some big dollar bottles. the lineup for that ribfest:

2005 Sine Qua Non "The Petition" White
2006 Sine Qua Non "Autrement Dit" Rosé
1999 Flora Springs Trilogy
2007 Turley Hayne Vineyard Zin
2008 Martinelli Jackass Vineyard Zin
2008 Sine Qua Non "Jinete Bajo" Vine de Paille Roussanne

man, that was a heckuva night. :-D

- winoweenie - 08-31-2011

Tankee for the invite scrooge!!!! WW

- Innkeeper - 09-01-2011

Burp!!!

- TheEngineer - 09-01-2011

Nice lineup Newsie! I've not seen that many SQN's opened at one time!

- newsguy - 09-13-2011

I should make it clear: My sole wine contribution that night was the Trilogy. The host and his wife invited me and my GF over for dinner, and he was itching to open the two zins. I said all I could offer was the Trilogy (I literally have only one other bottle of wine right now) and I offered to do all the cooking since he was opening some really nice wine. Well, I put together a pretty damn good menu, including the best rib recipe I've ever tasted, and brought the Trilogy. He opened the two zins as planned -- and the three bonus bottles, all Sin Qua Nons. As a mere newspaper journalist, SQNs are way out of my league. But as I've always found to be the case among wine lovers, people are always willing to share with their friends. I just try to reciprocate any way that I can, whether it be with wine or my culinary contributions. Wink

- Drew - 09-14-2011

Would LOVE to see that rib recipe......

- winoweenie - 09-14-2011

+ moi'............ww

- newsguy - 09-14-2011

Ask and ye shall receive, gentlemen.

So I've held onto this recipe for 17 years, since I saw it in the food section of the paper I was working for in 1994, the Press-Enterprise in Riverside, CA. It ran in a feature that asked readers to share their favorite recipes. I'm glad this guy did. Bon apetit!

George Washington Bookman's Ribs

Craig Goodwin of Riverside sent a rib recipe developed by his father-in-law, the patriotically named George Washington Bookman of Houston.
"Unfortunately, he passed away before I could get him to write it down on paper. I doubt he would have anyway," says Goodwin. "So I added a little Riverside touch of my own."
That touch is Victoria Avenue navel orange juice, but fresh-squeezed juice from any other orange will do.
The recipe comes in two parts. First is a clear marinade used to baste the ribs while grilling. After the ribs are cooked, tomato sauce and brown sugar are added and served on the side. This is done because the tomatoes and sugar would burn over the coals.

George Washington Bookman's Barbecued Spare Ribs
10 pounds pork spare ribs, medium to small bone
2 bottles (8 ounces each) liquid smoke
1/2 cup vinegar
2 cups fresh-squeezed Victoria Avenue navel orange juice
1/2 cup olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons basil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can (24 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup brown sugar
Remove excess fat from ribs. Wash thoroughly and pat dry. Combine liquid smoke, vinegar, orange juice (if you don't have access to Victoria Avenue navels substitute any fresh-squeezed juice) in a large dish for marinade. Rub meat with olive oil and crushed garlic and place in dish with marinade overnight.
Combine all dry ingredients (except cinnamon, tomato sauce and sugar).
Remove ribs from marinade, reserve. Rub spices thoroughly into meat with your hands, this is critical!
Place ribs on medium to low charcoal (gray ashes for 10 minutes or more).
Cook for 2 hours while constantly turning and basting with marinade.
Add tomato sauce and brown sugar to remaining marinade in a pot, season with any remaining dry ingredients and bring to a boil, serve at the table as barbecue sauce. Do not brush red sauce on cooking meat.

NOTE: If you have a smoker, I'd truly smoke these ribs using the wood of your choice and omit the Liquid Smoke.

- TheEngineer - 09-15-2011

Thank you thank you!