WineBoard
2008 Le Sughere di Frassinello - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 2008 Le Sughere di Frassinello (/thread-21825.html)

- Drew - 07-25-2011

Maremma Toscana.
The second label of Rocca di Frassinello.
A blend of 50% Sangioveto, 25% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon. Served with Bucatini all'Amatriciana this wine sang. Elegant and opulant it showed sweet cherry, raspberry, blackberry with hints of coffee, mineral and chocolate. It shows a juiciness which lifts the palate. We all loved this wine with the dish. 13.5% Alc/vol. $15

Drew

- winoweenie - 07-25-2011

Can't even begin to pronounce the wines' name but would like to know what the blazes the dish was you served it with consists of. Is it hard to make or something Guido could whip up in 30 minutes? WW

- Drew - 07-25-2011

I used pancetta in the recipe. Take your 1/2 lb slice of pancetta and do a medium dice (1/4") before frying. I also used my fresh, frozen sauce I made last year,(4 cups).

Bucatini all'Amatriciana
By Eric Guido

I beg you to look for guanciale. Could you substitute it with pancetta and still enjoy this
dish? Sure, but I assure you that it is pale in comparison to guanciale. I was able to find
guanciale after only stopping at two Italian butchers. It’s certainly not something that
you’ll find at the local supermarket but, with just a little digging, it’s very possible to
source.
Also, I found that using a combination of both fresh and canned tomatoes gave this dish a
gorgeous contrast on the palate and my tasting panel agreed wholeheartedly. You could
just use the canned tomatoes but it would take away from the recipe, in my opinion.

Makes 4 – 5 servings
½ pound slice guanciale
1 pound Bucatini (pasta)
5-6 cloves of Garlic (rough chop)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (you can double this if you prefer a good amount of heat)
28oz of canned San Marzano tomatoes
1 cup of plum or grape tomatoes cut in half (must be fresh and ripe)
¾ cup of grated pecorino Romano cheese
½ cup red wine (preferably the same wine you plan to pair with the dish)
Olive oil (as needed)
Bunch of fresh basil (for garnish)
Place a large pot of salted water on a burner on high to bring to a boil.
Strain the juice from the canned tomatoes and, over a strainer, try to remove as many
seeds as possible. When you’re done, you should have a bowl of strained and deseeded
tomatoes and a bowl of tomato juice.
Place a medium to large sauté pan (or sauce pan) over a medium flame. Add olive oil to
just barley coat the pan. Before the oil gets too hot, add the guanciale. Think about
making Sunday bacon, but with the intention of pulling the meat before it gets crispy.
Add the pasta to the water and set the timer for one minute short of its recommended
cooking time.
Remove the guanciale from the pan onto a paper towel to drain, and pour the rendered fat
from the pan through a fine mesh strainer. (This is not 100% necessary, but those small
bits you can’t scoop out with a spoon may burn if you leave them in the pan.) Wipe any
burnt bits from the pan and pour two tbls of the rendered pork fat back into the pan.
Add the rep pepper flakes, the garlic and the fresh tomatoes. Allow to cook over
medium-low flame for two minutes. Then (with the pan removed from the burner) add
the red wine.

Once the wine has begun to reduce, add the strained San Marzano tomatoes and a cup of
the strained tomato juice that came from the can. Bring this entire mixture to a simmer
and allow to reduce for 3 – 5 minutes.
Around this time, the pasta should be done. Strain the pasta and pour back into the pot.
Now pour the sauce over the pasta and stir until combined. Sprinkle half of the cheese
into the pot as well as half of the cooked guanciale. Over a low flame, stir until
completely combined. Allow this mixture to cook for one minute on low flame.
Check for seasoning, but remember that the guanciale can add a good amount of
seasoning on its own.
Chiffonade the basil.
To plate, place a mound of pasta on a heated plate and sprinkle with pecorino Romano,
then guanciale, and finally the basil chiffonade. Clean the rim of you plate and serve

- winoweenie - 07-25-2011

Tankee dere noble fren! Will do this as soon as I find that Guana-Buana-Cially stuff. WW

- Drew - 07-25-2011

The guanciale (pig's jowl) can be very hard to find so try it the first time with pancetta. Sometimes the Bucatini is also tough to find unless you go to an Italian deli.