WineBoard
Cellar lighting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Storage/Cellars/Racking (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Cellar lighting (/thread-21696.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winedope1 - 10-22-2002

Hal- don't forget to add the fake cobwebs across the doorway!

- hotwine - 10-22-2002

Fake?! Writing Spiders have made some very pretty webs near my cellar's entrance, but nothing beats tarantulas and scorpions for boosting the ol' heart rate. Nope, haven't found any of 'em inside yet; biggest critter found inside the cellar so far was a 10" centipede, last year..... big, bad sucker with a 1" stinger. Have no idea how he got in there, but he danged sure didn't leave in one piece. Had a nice little prairie runner dart in front of me yesterday out there ("coach-whip" or "blue racer" to some of you), one that the 'coons missed. All of God's critters need homes.

- Bucko - 10-22-2002

Ah, scorpions! The mascot of Camp Bullis! Funny how things bring back memories, good or bad........

- hotwine - 10-23-2002

Would be happy to send you a few dozen, Buckster. They're about as common as sparrows around here. Excitement, though, is putting on your britches in the morning and having one say "hello" from a very unwelcome hiding place. Had that happen a couple of years ago, when my jeans fell off the chair onto the floor in the night. WW would have been proud of my war dance as the critter nailed me twice. And Debra had one sting her on the face one night last year, when we were visiting the ranch. Would love to find a way to wipe 'em from the face of this earth!

- Hal - 10-23-2002

Winedope, the spiders in my basement are real. Again, the importance of my wine cellar will be more about effect than about wine. I am not an avid collector, nor do I expect to have a lot of ageworthy wines, except for some 2000 Bordeaux which I couldn't resist. The cellar will mostly be a nice place to keep a few cases of drinkable wine. I have some remodeling to do on the floor above before I can start on the wine cellar.

- Thomas - 10-23-2002

attaboy, Hal. Got to love a guy who understands that the best place for wine is in a glass aimed at a gullet instead of in a dank cellar awaiting some future moment that one may or may not be around to enjoy. Of course, there is the matter of the 2000 futures--you still need some training...<P>And now I shall duck the slings and arrows of my friendly collectors and futures buyers!

- winoweenie - 10-23-2002

Hotsie, this takes me back to basic training<BR>in your lovely state at Amarillo AFB during WWDuece. On bivouc, and the second morning out, I jumped into my pants and, lo, there was one of them bad dudes in there. Don' know where yours' got you, but I sat down<BR>to go for a week. Ebben hurted more than the slings and arrows I endure from Der Buckster. WW

- hotwine - 10-23-2002

I got lucky; he only nailed the upper thigh. Those suckers sure do smart!

- Hal - 10-24-2002

Foodie, I'm the first to concede my wine training is limited. Wine, as life, is a learning experience. I hope to never stop learning. In reference yet undelivered Bordeaux, you suggest I may yet need training. Since this thread is about cellar lighting, I do beseech you: enlighten me!

- Thomas - 10-24-2002

Did someone say Amarillo? That is where I did my basic and tech training during the Vietnam period. Lovely place. Locked in my fear of scorpions, tumble weed and ever-changing weather...<P>Hal. Just kidding about the futures and you needing training. But you know I am not the kind that buys wine based on what someone else (or some magazine, or a group of producers) tell us it WILL be like sometime in the future. For one, I might be around when that future arrives; for two, I do not believe anyone can predict the future with accuracy on a regular basis.

- winedope1 - 10-24-2002

guys, it was supposed to be funny...

- winoweenie - 10-24-2002

I giggled WD. WW

- Thomas - 10-25-2002

I was giggling too, until Amarillo came up--now I want to finish off a bottle of wine! What am I saying? I always want to finish off a bottle of wine...

- Hal - 10-25-2002

Foodie, I said Armadillo, not Amarillo.<BR>You already know my story. I bought the Bordeaux futures before I was priveledge to your wisdom. I don't regret it though. The current offerings of the wines I bought are already up a few bucks.<P>But screw (I mean uncork) that! Let's drink!