WineBoard
An inexpensive little cabinet - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Storage/Cellars/Racking (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: An inexpensive little cabinet (/thread-21685.html)

- hotwine - 12-31-2001

I checked out our new Costco yesterday, after taking advantage of their free membership offer, and noticed they had a 24-bottle Vinotemp mini-cellar for $199. Not a bad price for a little unit, if a person is cramped for storage space.

- barnesy - 01-04-2002

My beloved wife gave this little gomer to me for christmas last year. Its crammed full to the gills. It keeps the wine wonderfully at around 52 to 55, even in very warm summers, 100 plus for extended periods of time. When it gets drier, I do have to put a bowl of water in it to increase the humidity. Don't have to do that much since I moved from Idaho to Oregon...I just have to open the door and let in the good old Oregon wet air. Its quiet, attractive and most of all its mine! This will become my little immediate drinking cooler when I can afford one of the big multi hundred bottle units.<P>Barnesy

- hotwine - 01-04-2002

I'm thinking this would make a nice office unit for the self-employed, too. An MD, lawyer, CPA, real-estate agent or what-not could set it up unobtrusively in the office, so some vino would be handy at the end of the day. If I had that kind of office, you can bet I'd have this unit!

- winoweenie - 01-05-2002

Me too...if'n I ever gots work. WW

- mrdutton - 01-05-2002

Just as soon as the snow melts, I need to get myself over to Costco and check that little hummer out - if any are left by then.

- barnesy - 01-06-2002

Costco also carries a huge selection of vinotemps on their website.<P>costco.com<P>Barnesy

- txkajun - 01-08-2002

hotwine, <P>I saw the same one at the same Costco. (I live but mere miles from you!) <P>They have a decent selection of wines, I thought, but I live nearer to Lackland, and I need a weekend to go searching now that I have found this place. (no time after work-too far for my taste) plus, 1604 AND IH 10 are not much fun w/ construction. <P>I am glad you mentioned the wine cellar, b/c I was wondering if that was a worthy venture. <P>tk

- jgbivona - 01-29-2002

Just ran across this site and have been spending some time tonight researching.<P>I'm very interested in the wine storage unit mentioned on this thread but have one question. <P>How would I monitor the moisture in the unit?

- hotwine - 01-29-2002

JG, I don't recall there being a humidity monitor with the unit, although I did not inspect it closely and could be mistaken. If it has none, you could use a separate battery-powered device, such as a Radio Shack "Digital Thermo-Hygro", catalog #63-1013, which I use in one of my cabinets, that provides a display of both temperature and humidity. Cost was in the $30 range, as I remember.<P>And welcome to the board.

- barnesy - 01-30-2002

I own the unit. I does not have a humidity gauge. You can buy an inexpensive unit to play in it. Without any help, it keeps the humidity about 50-60%. I take periodic readings.<P>Barnesy