WineBoard
Flight of three Pinot Noirs - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Flight of three Pinot Noirs (/thread-21546.html)

- wondersofwine - 06-07-2011

While staying on Sanibel Island (Florida) last week, I ventured into Fort Myers Beach for dinner one night at Bayfront Bistro. It is in an attractive setting at a yacht club and marina (second-floor level) looking over the bay as the name suggests. Nice wine list (Wine Spectator Award in 2010)and good food and service with wine-savvy servers. I went with the flight of three Pinot Noirs although I wanted to eat seafood. The server assured me that the lighter reds wouldn't clash with the crab cakes. I don't recall if I had a cocktail with the appetizer, a refreshingly tart but not too spicy ceviche. Then the house salad with Champagne vinaigrette. The server brought out the Pinots for the crab cake main course. The line up was 2009 PONZI PINOT NOIR, WILLAMETTE VALLEY, OREGON, 2007 J. LOHR FOG'S REACH PINOT NOIR, ARROYA SECO, MONTEREY COUNTY, CA and 2009 DAVIS BYNUM PINOT NOIR, RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY, CA. The server said his favorite was the Davis Bynum and the manager said he went back and forth between the Ponzi and the Davis Bynum. The wines were served room temperature where I might have preferred them a bit chilled. The 2009 Ponzi was cordovan or light mahagony in color with some transparency. Medium bodied but delivered a long finish. Savory aspects were perhaps more noticeable than the fruit. The 2007 J. Lohr Fog's Reach was a darker shade than the Ponzi, also with some transparency. I looked it up later online and the info was for the 2009 vintage but it said from Clones 777 and Pommard 4, 60% new barrels and spent eight months in French oak. Claims it has a 10-year aging potential. Alcohol volume for the 2009 is close to 15%. The wine showed viscosity. Flavor of tart or sour cherries with a hint of leather or suede. Interesting but not my favorite of the three. Another long finish. The 2009 Davis Bynum from the Russian River Valley edged out the Ponzi as my favorite. More light crimson/magenta with some transparency. Rich cherry fruit on nose and palate. Warming note on the finish. Silky smoothness to midpalate but finishes a bit hot. I believe this was my first acquaintance with J. Lohr or Davis Bynum Pinot Noir. I don't think the Davis Bynum is overpriced at $30 from the winery. My dining experience was quite pleasant and I had a bit of conversation with the couple at the next table who live in Fort Myers. The husband was originally from Germany and collects Bordeaux wines. The wife was from Connecticut but has lived in Florida for several decades.

- TheEngineer - 06-08-2011

A good friend of mine in California once showed me all the David Bynum stuff he had and recounted the stories about the man. Certainly did seem like a character!