WineBoard
Georgetown, Washington DC Restaurants - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Georgetown, Washington DC Restaurants (/thread-21501.html)

- andrawes76 - 05-19-2011

I went to Washington D.C. for the Heart's Delight Wine Auction. If you have never been, you should definitely go. Its expensive, but you will be surrounded by EXTREMELY good wine, and foods. Famous chefs from all over and plenty of the Grand Cru Classe wines like Pontet Canet, Clinet, Coutet (Barsac), La Mission Haut Brion and the big daddy Haut Brion. The Prince of Luxembourg himself was there as well. Good times! <br>
<br>
Anyways, I went to Charlie Palmer's Restaurant on Wednesday and met Nadine Brown, the Sommelier who is not just gracious, but really knows her wine. We tasted thru some Oregon Pinots including Domaine Serene, Rex Hill, Retour along side to some vintage Burgundies from Leflaive, Domaine Compte Georges de Vogue which helped me confirm that I love Chambolle Musigny. <br>
<br>
Back to the restaurants. The Halibut was amazing at Charlie Palmers, complimented with Pinot Noir, and the salads there were hearty, but not heavy. <br>
<br>
Next night we ate at 1789 in Georgetown where the Chef prepared a five course meal put on by Retour Winery in Willamette Valley Oregon. I am a super fan of this wine. Read my Pinot Notes. Along side of Retour verticals, we tasted the Beacon Hill Chardonnay Leo's Block 07 which is a Burgundian style Chardonnay (more like a Meursault), no oak. These wines were paired with Duck breast (and a sliver of Fois Gras), followed by Turbot fish, which is not easy to find or get, then concluded with a nice selection of sirloin steaks. Great food, service was awesome. I highly recommend 1789 followed by drinks at The Tomb (below) underneath the restaurant. <br>
<br>
Saturday was Peacock Cafe in Georgetown. Two Iranian brother co-owners Maziar and Shahab Farivar, prepared a nice quinoia, salad, followed by an amazing home prepared veggie burger. The food here is simple, but full of flavor and in a nice Georgetown setting... I enjoyed D.C. so much and totally forgot it was one of the most dangerous cities to live in!

- TheEngineer - 05-19-2011

Alex, tha tdoes sound like a great time! Were you in town for just those events (enough justification frankly) or was there something else you were in town for?

- andrawes76 - 05-19-2011

I was in town as a Sponsor of the Heart's Delight... 4 days of intense wine consuming and dining. Conspicuous consumption at its finest.

- Georgie - 05-19-2011

Love DC!

- wondersofwine - 05-20-2011

I haven't been to any of the restaurants you visited but really liked Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg, CA last fall. May have to visit 1789 sometime. I did attend the California Barrel Tasting sponsored by Macarthur's twice in the past but haven't attended the Heart's Delight affair. Both are quite expensive.

- andrawes76 - 05-23-2011

WOW yes, expensive but you can tell the servers to keep the Haut Brion and La Mission Haut Brion coming. This at least gives you the upper edge in getting value. Plus I bought a 70 Cheval Blanc for $200 at the auction. So I think I won...

- wondersofwine - 05-24-2011

Sounds like it to me.

- TheEngineer - 05-26-2011

1970 CB for $200..... you are gonna hafta share that............. Smile I picked up a 1970 La Mission HB for $315 recently...in Mag. Smile

- andrawes76 - 06-17-2011

Tasted the CB 1970 last night at Brennans in Houston. It is at its peak. Soft tannins, aged fruit, morphing into a coffee like finish that had some nice cherry, raspberry accent to it. Really an awesome wine...but it needs to be consumed now cause I believe it to be at its peak. Going to double post this in Bordeaux as well.. :-P