WineBoard
Kidney Stones & wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Kidney Stones & wine? (/thread-21347.html)

- Jackie - 03-24-2011

I wonder if wine affects kidney stones, positively or negatively? I haven't a clue. But a week ago, I had a lithotripsy done to break up a kidney stone that is almost an inch big. I have to repeat this at least one more time, I'm told. Arghh.

My MD said that you can prevent kidney stones from forming by drinking water with a little lemon or lime squeezed in. The acid apparently helps prevent minerals from crystalizing and forming stones.

What I'm wondering is whether wine is good or bad. I should have asked the doc, and will next time I see him.

Curious...

Jackie

- winoweenie - 03-24-2011

Not really sure Jackie Love but when I drank Martinis fer lunch I had a kidney stone. 'Twere 55 yars ago when I started on me wine excursion....'Haint had nary a one since. WW

- Kcwhippet - 03-24-2011

Jackie, I've had the same procedure to "blow up" my kidney stones back in 2005. My PCP sent me to a urologist for the procedure and he told me there are two main (and one minor) causes of kidney stones - calcium and oxalic acid. I fell for the Caltrate commercials so mine were calcium based. Anyway, all that said, that was 6 years ago and the stones haven't returned, because I've refrained from taking any calcium supplements. However, I do taste 80 or more wines a week at work, as well as having my share aty dinner. So, I'd say (as my doctors have also said) the wine should present no problems.

- Thomas - 03-24-2011

I can't think of anything in wine that would cause or promote kidney stones.

- Jackie - 03-26-2011

That's good. I am thinking I need to be more religious about wine drinking... to prevent these suckers from returning. Turns out I'm going to have a full-blown kidney surgery to remove them, as the litotripsy did not work (well, it broke one stone into 3 pieces but didn't pulverize it, so it's still there darn it). Oh boy.

- Thomas - 03-26-2011

Jackie,

Do you know which kidney stones you have?

*Calcium-Oxalate:* too much calcium or vitamin D, some medicines, genetics. 

*Struvite:*  affects women more than men.  They can grow very large.

*Uric Acid:*  too much animal protein or genetics. 

*Cystine:*  rare cystinuria, a genetic kidney disease.

Find out what type of stone you have so you can adjust, but always drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day and limit sodium, meat, and eggs

- Jackie - 03-27-2011

Thanks Thomas. I guess I'll know more after the surgery, when they analyze the stones. Oh boy.

I do appreciate the tips. I wonder if wine falls into the category of water & lemon, in terms of an acid influence preventing crystalization. Any idea?

- Thomas - 03-27-2011

Jackie,

I have no idea about the acid/crystalization and wine inside our bodies. For one thing, wine's dominant acidity is not citric acid.

- Thomas - 03-27-2011

Jackie,

I have no idea about the acid/crystalization and wine inside our bodies. For one thing, wine's dominant acidity is not citric acid.