WineBoard
Terrazas de Las Andes 2003 Malbec - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: South American Wines (/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: Terrazas de Las Andes 2003 Malbec (/thread-21297.html)

- winoweenie - 12-02-2004 08:01 AM

Wonederfully aromatic Malbec fruit. Brite medium ruby. Soft, supple entry medium center and a surprisingly 3+ lapper finish. A real buy At under 10 by the box. This is the Weeners' "Xmas open for all who cometh"
bottle. Now back to the cabs!.87/91. WW

- winoweenie - 04-10-2005 05:40 PM

The 04 version just came in and I got my first box. Carbon copy of the 03. Same-ole'-same-ole'. VB

- Innkeeper - 08-30-2008 08:35 PM

We popped an '06 tonight and found it very much like it is described above. Very nice.

Matched it with grillpanned marinated loin ends, rolls, and salad. Very nice Saturday night.

- neets - 09-01-2008 08:25 AM

This Malbec is from Argentina which is nearly a redundant statement; Malbec is becoming the king of Argentinean varietals and deservedly so. This one is really austere on opening with aromas only slight with a hint of pepper.

In the mouth it is well balanced with plenty of peppery tastes and a little meatiness like fried bologna. Nothing remarkable but I suspect it just needs some air.

Indeed-with a half an hour or so, a nice bouquet is emitted with “wild” aromas, subtle chocolate and good, solid rustic flavors.

This is not a "classy" wine but it is well made and favorably balanced. This would be the perfect paring for a good, wild game dish like tagliatelle and boar—reminiscences of a past Tuscan adventure…

Subsequent to my review I checked the Wine Spectator to see if they had rated this wine; The Wine Spectator gave this wine an “88” and a “best buy” rating. At $10, I agree with the best buy but “88” is generous. None-the-less, raise a glass to Argentina!

[This message has been edited by team (edited 09-02-2008).]