WineBoard
Remembering TWC - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Jerry's Kids (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Remembering TWC (/thread-21256.html)

- Jackie - 05-20-2005

I ran across an old email message from one of Jerry's kids. With the Supreme Court decision and Bobby Darin's birthday both happening this week, I thought some might enjoy reading this tribute to the Curmudgeon...

Ed, PR Ed, and all un-Eds:

Perhaps like many of Jerry's Kids, I am at moments speechless and ot other times just ready to kick a wall over the thought of The Ultimate Curmudgeon being snatched from our physical and electronic midst.

I second the idea of all picking a day of solidarity to applaud his memory and remind us of all the unfinished business he'd be ranting about to us if he had a shot at one last email from up in heaven. Rather than a 2000 NWIWC apron, I think I'd opt for wearing a classic "Have you had your glass of
red wine today?" buttons. He once sent me about two dozen, and I was careful not to give the last one away.

There's really no way to sum up Curmy's impact on all of the Kids, let
alone on the wine industry. I can add a few notes, however. First of all, I remember first meeting Jerry about 10 years ago, after his first wrestling bout with serious illness. It was at the Sonoma County Wine Auction (back when they had just one), at a picnic at Chateau St. Jean. He was sitting, quite pale in fact, apparently too weak to be up and around much. He told
me he had lost all of his ability to taste due to the treatments. But by G-d there was a tenacious sparkle in his eye. He had won that round. And perhaps the energy he applied to wine and work carried extra oomph thanks to his beating the devil that time.

As years went on, I always admired Jerry's indefatigability. He was persistence personified. He tired of making the same truth-driven arguments over and over and over and over again. Because he knew that it wasn't
enough to be right. You also have to fight to convince everyone else to get on board.

I am not alone in considering Jerry to be one of the most important forces behind the wine and health movement. I am glad he lived long enough to see real success on that front, despite the continued ATF shenanigans that he
so regularly skewered in The Wine Trader. My biggest regret is that he didn't live to see the day when the Supreme Court knocks down all the direct-shipping restrictions that he had railed against to widely and intelligently over the past few years. So when that day does come, we'll all have to make our collective toast to TWC really really loud.

Tish

- Botafogo - 05-20-2005

For a tribute that Curmy would really enjoy, maybe we could all post our favorite naughty cheerleader photos??? Or were you not on Jerry's SPECIAL e-mail list....

PS: I think we should all make up buttons with pictures of WSWA Spokeshole Jaunita Duggans and the subtitle "Public Enemy #1" to wear in Jerry's honor.

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 05-20-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 05-20-2005

Hear, hear!

- Botafogo - 05-20-2005

"Didn't live to see the day"????

Who do you think that little devil sitting on Justice Scalia's shoulder smacking him upside the head till he said "Uncle!" was?

- winoweenie - 05-20-2005

On several of his trips here to the valley to help his son Sean kick-off his restaurant we'd meet him at Seans jernt with some bottles to sample. At the time our major thrust from my cellar was 82 Bordeauxs and 85 Califs. Not exactly a perfect match with Seans Southern Italian fare, however, never a drop went undrunked nor a giggle left hushed. He convinced me the big picture on wine distribution was as impotant as what was in the bottle. The fioght's not over yet but Curmys' work is showing some sign of completion. Hopefully all of the boards members will contact their congressmen and voice your approval of this first small victory. If you're not a memeber of " Free The Grapes " please log online and sign-up. WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-20-2005

WW, I'm a member of FTG and I've been writing letters to state legislators since Curmy urged me to about 10 uears ago. Hasn't really helped a lot here in MA, but we're still trying. In ten years of sending letters, emails and faxes to about 30 or more legislators few times a year, I've received exactly one response - and that was from a state rep who had three days left in his term.

- winoweenie - 05-21-2005

Attaboy KC!!! If we all keep hammering we'll eventually crack the 3-tiered system and unconstitutional banning of inter-state commerce. WW