WineBoard
Coming up on ten years - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Jerry's Kids (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Coming up on ten years (/thread-21255.html)

- Kcwhippet - 01-25-2010

I was just thinking about how much this board has grown and some of the changes that have occurred over the years. Then it struck me that in just a short time (April 12) it will be ten years since Jerry left us. It really doesn't seem like that much time has passed, but boy it sure has. I wonder what he would think about how the wine industry has gone during that time. WW, you probably knew him better than any of the rest of us. Do you think he would be pleased by what's happened?

- winoweenie - 01-25-2010

Can assure you he would have loved the advancement in the skills of the winemakers. He would also have absolutely ADORED the fact he would have so many pompous, snobbish, know-it-alls that he could attact in his own inimitable way. The obstetreperous, cantakerous, one-and-only Curmudgeon would literally be in 14th heaven with the amount of semi-knowledable crap out on the boards today, RIP my dear friend. WW

- VouvrayHead - 01-25-2010

I stumbled across this website rather randomly, but have read about Jerry subsequently. Seemed like a really impressive guy.

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2010

I might not have ever been here (which to some may be a good thing) if Jerry hadn't personally invited me to participate. I had never heard of a wine forum at that time.

- hotwine - 01-26-2010

I enjoyed the Curmudgeon's posts, but it was only a few months after I joined that he left us. Seems like he'd be pleased with where we've gone since. But has been a very fast decade!

- Thomas - 01-26-2010

Not one Internet forum moderator that I can think of today embraces the marriage of feisty debate and respect for the other's views that Jerry had. He made arguments based on logic (even if his logic was questionable at times) but he never stooped to name-calling, rumor mongering, and so on.

I suppose that's because he was not spouting opinions to hear himself talk, and also because he had knowledge. The fact that he was a real journalist helped, too. His voice in the Wine Trader was singular.

Jerry got me interested in yapping on the Internet. Before he invited me here, I had no intention to do so.

- winoweenie - 01-29-2010

By-the-By WOW just read your post on another board about a novices' post on Bordeaux. This dude Covert is EXACTLY the type that Curmy would have on his knees in 36 seconds. What a pompous, snotty, unfeeling answer, as if his is the only type of review that should be allowed. Almost broke my pledge to never post on the board again but figure youse can derned well take care of this light-weight jerk by youself. XX&OOs'. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-29-2010).]

- Innkeeper - 01-29-2010

Actually I thought we was kind of restrained for a Nu Yawker.

- wondersofwine - 01-29-2010

Well, WW, you and Covert have a couple things in common--love of Bordeaux and attractive wives.

(That is--one wife per individual not multiple like the polygamists.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-29-2010).]

- wondersofwine - 01-29-2010

Drew Hall entered the fray also, siding with me.

- Drew - 01-29-2010

I don't know that it was a fray but the guy was a jerk. It's no wonder that new folks get driven away by such aggressive responses. What was interesting is that he claims his "passion" is describing wine tasting notes to "women's body parts".... his quote below. The guy's definitely doing more than wine.....

"But I get criticized, and deserve the criticism much more, probably, for going to the other extreme at times, waxing ecstatically and even comparing wine expression to women's body parts, or music, and such. So it is just Yin and Yang, I guess, - Apollo and Dionysus; it takes two to tango."

Drew