WineBoard
2002 Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay, "Clos du Roy" and nagging thoughts - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay, "Clos du Roy" and nagging thoughts (/thread-21175.html)

- TheEngineer - 03-23-2008

This was a nice moderately priced burgundy back in 2002. At $30 this is a decent buy by today's comparison but I remember muttering back then...gawd...$30 for a Marsannay....However, I recently saw one (I think I mentioned it here) of a specific clos from them in Marsannay for like $92......a bottle....of Marsannay........ not a case........and not Morey Saint Denis..........#!#%#$%#!!!! More on this topic later.

Anyways, back to the bottle in hand. Maturing and probably in need of consumption in the next few years, this burgundy did a good impression of a nice 10 year old bottle. Color is turning a little, light, red-garnet with a bit of bricking. Nose is of berries, cedar, earthly. On the mouth, nicely light and elegant, smooth, and savoury. A high acidity for sure but still good persistence. Nothing too complex but a great sipping wine for the meal or the end of an evening.

Back on the topic of things that are too expensive. What brought this topic to the forefront is always a combination of things. As I was recounting my $30 burgundy, I also remembered that that was the night I picked up a few Sylvan Cathiard Vosne-Romanee for $150 and remembering "ouchy, ouchy....Wine should not be this expensive". Has anyone seen the price of the '05 Sylvan Cathiard Vosne-Romanee?? ....maybe time to flip mine.....

Flipping was the second trigger and has been nagging me ever since last week when I tried to put a few absentee bids at a local auction on a few lots and I lost all of them .... BY A $%#&* MILE!!!! I did not lose by a few dollars, I lost by multiples. This is crazy. Someone bid $600 for 4 bottles of 2000 Pontet Canet and then had to pay 20% on top of that for the buyer's premium. $720 for four bottles of Pontet Canet that you can buy in CA for $400 at retail??? I had put in a bid of $225 and I thought that I would win handily. I have a case of the stuff I pickup up initially for $45 a bottle, maybe they would be interested in just emailing me. I wouldn't even charge the buyer's premium. This would net me $1260 for the case, almost enough to buy an LCD tv! I wish that I had bought 3 cases, then I could afford the Sony 52" XBR5 LCD TV......

And this is how it is for me now. I judge all bottles by what else I can buy with it if I did not open it and just sold it instead......I hate that......... The honest truth is that I never thought that I would be afraid to open any of my bottles. Wine is food and wine is to be shared right? I've always been pretty good at both the drinking and the sharing part, or at least I think so. But nowadays, I flip through so many wine auction magazines and realize that there are more than a few bottles that might be better if they sat in cash than as bottles in my cellar.

I live vicariously through everyone here and a few of my good friends that email me every night their current consumptions. I so look forward every night to logging in and seeing someone open up '82 bordeaux and 90 Hermitages. I feel like someone is make a great use of the bottle and I am happy. Then when I reach to open one for myself, like the other night with a minor vintge Mouton....all I remember is that at a recent auction, it attracted bids of $250 per bottle........ errr...maybe I don't need to be so nice to myself. Maybe the $13 Joel Gott 815 California Cabernet is just what I need. This only gets worse with better vintages.

The other night, I held onto a bottle of 2000 Pichon Lalande recently that I wanted to try at 7 years into its life. I had the cord screw in my hand and the knife end on it opened. I looked alternatively at the label and at the capsule, wondering what it would be like. However, I just could not pull the plug on. I mean I was just drinking by myself with no one to share the experience with. Besides, this bottle is trading at $2800 OWC per dozen. It was at this point that I put the bottle down and headed to the current drinking section of my cellar. I rumaged through a bunch of bottles and reach for the $30 burgundy (the aforementioned Pataille Marsannay) and went back upstairs smiling, content for the evening and sure of the safety of my dwindling supply of what are now trophy wines....the ones that I can't open anymore.

Gawd, someone kick me...... hard..... [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-22-2008).]

- Kcwhippet - 03-23-2008

Mike, Anytime you want to bring any of that stuff over to my place, Dave and I would be more than happy to cook you a well paired meal - for a taste or two or three. We're ready for you.

- TheEngineer - 03-23-2008

KC,

I'll be there soon. Once I get through with this next crest of travel....