WineBoard
Thank the Lord we got " W " - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Thank the Lord we got " W " (/thread-20991.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Botafogo - 09-22-2001

PS: They should have had Aretha Franklin or Patti Labelle (or BOTH) sing God Bless America...

- Bucko - 09-22-2001

I don't think it was for show. Afterall, do you want Dirty Harry and Jack Nicholson singing a duet? They are doing what they can to help in the only way that their talents or star power allows.

- Botafogo - 09-22-2001

Bucko, what I meant was were they actually answering phones or was that dias of stars just a come-on? I do think that even in this time of patriotism and grief, the average joe calling a toll free number and getting Cindy Crawford or Halle Berry let alone Jack is going to want to gush for a while, could be inefficient....

Roberto

- Tom 1960 - 09-22-2001

It was Neil Young who sang "Imagine". Awesome!

[This message has been edited by Tom 1960 (edited 09-22-2001).]

- joeyz6 - 09-22-2001

Hotwine, I think that they were trying to avoid just that "me me me" attitude that you were worried about. That's why they didn't put the names of the performers and speakers on the screen. But I agree with winoweenie that it got a little frustrating not knowing who was performing.

- winoweenie - 09-22-2001

Robo- Buddy, The phones were answered by the many super-stars who said hi-there and after a lil' schmoozin' turned you over to the many volunteers in each market to take your pledge. Here in Phoenix we had 650 manning the phones. I know Celine is Canadien but that still doesn't detract fron the fact her rendition was absolutely flawless. After Geo fogot to acknowledge how our our loyal friends to the north had stepped up to the plate, Celines' apperance was even more important. I was amazed that with all the super stars in attendance, that Michael Jackson played back-up guitar all evening. I fully expected him to grab a mike at any moment. Again, Willie playing the same 4 chords for 8 stanzas isn't what this super-talented performer should have been asked to do. Reminded me of seeing the last performance of Frank in Vegas when he couldn't hit middle C with a shotgun. There is a time to hang it up and let us old cockers have our memories and records. 'Twere quite a group. Doubt iff'n we'll see them assembled again anytime soon. WW

- mrdutton - 09-22-2001

Kinda reminds me of the last time I saw Dylan perform.........

Yuch....................

But what an EFFORT!!!!

- Bucko - 09-22-2001

I just saw Joe Cocker in concert with Tina Turner. They both still have it.....

- Innkeeper - 09-23-2001

You're right Tom, it was Neil. Got my wires crossed. The young lady I referred to sang it on CBS Saturday Morning. Both awesome.

- wondersofwine - 09-23-2001

I too liked Paul Simon on "Bridge over Troubled Waters"--so appropriate. I did think Celine should have done some other song and let an American do "God Bless America." Would have liked to see Arlo Guthrie doing "This Land is Your Land."

- hotwine - 09-24-2001

Good news:
Just heard that Friday night's telethon raised $140 mil.

Bad news:
It will be administered by the United Way.

Folks, this is the same umbrella organization whose board of directors tolerated malfeasance by its executive director, Mr. Aramone, that included a luxury apartment and first class travel for his mistress, all on donated funds. Until he was convicted in federal court of fraud and tax evasion.

Does that give you a warm fuzzy about their ability to supervise their employees? And their willingness to be good stewards of your gifts?

Not mine.

- Tom 1960 - 09-24-2001

Hotwine,while I havent yet made a donation I'd still like to do my part. As an alternative I'm thinking of The Red Cross,perhaps a better idea? Any thoughts,opinions from the rank and file?

- Botafogo - 09-24-2001

Boston comedian Denis Leary (who has many family members in both police and fire service and started this fund years ago, not last week) has a fund with 100% of the money going to those in need.

Despite being a caustic bastard in his work (he had a hit record with a song called "I'm an Asshole"), Dennis is thoroughly commited to community work, raising money for both this fund and cancer hospice work in conjuntion with Cam Neely (a pro hockey guy also from Boston).

here is the link:

http://www.learyfirefighters.com/09132001.htm

I have no connection, I just get a righteous vibe from him (on which note I also thoroughly admire Rap empresario / producer / artist Dr. Dre for stepping up to the plate and writing a check for $1 million dollars).

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 09-24-2001).]

- hotwine - 09-24-2001

My first choice is the Salvation Army, and second is the Red Cross.

- Bucko - 09-24-2001

We donated to our local firefighters who were collecting for the NY contingent. It is nice to see the outpouring of concern across the US.

- winoweenie - 09-25-2001

Our local paper, The Arizona Republic, is collecting for the Sal Army and matches your donation with 50% from their foundation. That way a 100 donation turns into 150. WW

- mrdutton - 09-25-2001

Hotwine - your perspective is right on the mark.

The Salvation Army does more on any given day to help people than the American Red Cross could ever hope to do.

First off, Salvaton Army does true charity work and then afterwords tries to make up the difference by asking for support.

Red Cross sets up coffee stands and such and charges people as the stuff is dispenced and then they also have the gaul to ask for contributions.

Sounds anecdotal, but from my own personal experiences this is the truth.

I REFUSE to give to American Red Cross. I ALWAYS give to Salvation Army.

- Bucko - 09-25-2001

Well, that is nice to know. No more Red Cross for me. I thought the Salvation Army charged as well -- there are a lot of stores around with clothes and such in them. We drop off a lot of clothes to them.

- Innkeeper - 09-25-2001

Guys & gals, I have a lifetime experience with these agencies. I was filling and tossing sandbags in Waterbury, CT, up from Long Island, back in the 50's after Hurricane Diane came through. The Salvation Army had volunteers passing out blankets, and the Red Cross was selling coffee for $.50 a cup (in the 50's!).

In the late 70's, got involved with the United Way, and served on allocation committees with them through '87. Both agencies where there the whole time. Here is the difference. The Red Cross distrubutes their funds evenly, depending on need. The Salvation Army, being a religion, gives all their funds to their parishioners. This includes all the Christmas turkeys. Let me hasten to add that their parishioners are among the poorest people in our communities. However, all the money goes to them, and not to anyone else. They do ask these people to help out in emergencies such as I mentioned above.

When I say, all their funds, I mean all their funds above their administrative costs, which run 20% in both their cases. The United Way, despite their prior difficulties mentioned above, run 12%. There are agenies, like those plugged by the President, that are contributing all their funds raised to tragedy relief. That is where your money should go.

- hotwine - 09-25-2001

IK is right on. The problem I have with all of the big charities is that they use unpaid volunteers to solicit the donors, and large well-paid staffs to organize the campaigns and manage the funds. The people we see are the volunteers, so we tend to think of the organizations as being made up of volunteers. But that's not the case. They're businesses with compensated workforces, profit and loss statements, business plans, etc. I'm not saying they don't produce some beneficial results, but all is certainly not as it seems with those outfits.