WineBoard
Thank the Lord we got " W " - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Thank the Lord we got " W " (/thread-20991.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- winoweenie - 09-20-2001

Hotsie, MrD and IK, Thank goodness we have a man with the strength of Geo.in office. God works in many strange ways. The people who were decrying the count in Florida as fraud should count there lucky stars that if it was, we are the major benefactors of it. I personally shudder to think what would have been the outcome if the alternative candidate had won. God Bless Our Wonderful Nation. A great speech and a lesson in what anyone who jacks with this great land can expect. What Strength WW

- Innkeeper - 09-20-2001

Amen.

- Drew - 09-20-2001

Third that!!!!!

Drew

- Bucko - 09-20-2001

I am very proud of the way that W rose to the occasion. Many men don't shine until fully tested. W looked good, he gave a powerful speech, and instilled confidence.

- hotwine - 09-21-2001

Yup, he done us proud!

- wondersofwine - 09-21-2001

Since this is a trying and testing time for all Americans, and the burden on the Pres is very heavy, I heard one comedian say maybe George W. is asking "Are you sure I won in Florida?" I'm registered as a Democrat but certainly wish the President the best at this time. Partisanship gives way to patriotism big time!

- Bucko - 09-21-2001

Yep, W has had a lot thrown at him between the economy and the terrorist act. Lots of weight on those shoulders....

- cpurvis - 09-21-2001

More weight than we can imagine, but he knows what he doesn't know, & he's surrounded himself w/ those who do know. Wise leadership. cp

- Bucko - 09-21-2001

I like the Tom Ridge post. Tom is a real bootstraps guy who should do a good job.

- Tom 1960 - 09-21-2001

Gotta agree with you guys he did give one heck of a speech. Hopefully we can keep this coalition together.

- winoweenie - 09-21-2001

A Great leader is a Great Dispenser of Power. WW

- hotwine - 09-21-2001

W established his "crisis-management credentials" with us in this area during the great flood of October 1998. We received torrential rainfall, which overflowed rivers and streams throughout South Texas and the Hill Country, and washed away whole communities. W visited a ravaged section of New Braunfels along the Guadelupe River while I was working with other volunteers to try to salvage the belongings of a friend and co-worker at the time; the fellow's house was flooded to within three feet of the roof crest, so we weren't able to salvage much. But W flew in from the governor's mansion in Austin and walked through the muck to shake our hands and offer the support of the entire state government in the recovery efforts. And he followed through after his visit, mustering direct assistance by every state agency you could think of. I was impressed then with his presence, and demeanor, and command of the situation. And I remember thinking at the time that he showed the huevos that we might need in another role some day.

He's doing just fne.

- joeyz6 - 09-21-2001

I second wondersofwine's comments...

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2001

Don't know how many of you watched the telethon last night, but we stayed up and watched the whole thing. Paul Simon singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" really got to me.

- hotwine - 09-22-2001

Confess to having chosen a ball game instead, Cubs vs 'Stros. Wish I weren't so skeptical of Lollywood's motives behind their products, especially their extravaganzas, which all seem to be about "I, I, I, me, me, me, money, money, money, you just gotta send me yours!" We're sending ours to the Salvation Army 'cause we know they're squeeky clean.

- Bucko - 09-22-2001

Same here IK...... I hope that we can endure for the road ahead. It will be the American public that wins or loses this conflict.

- mrdutton - 09-22-2001

I listen to NPR a lot during the day.

On the day after the President's speech to the joint houses of Congress, a lot of callers, who said they were Democrats, commented that even though they were displeased with the election results, they were now giving thier full support to George W. A lot of the same callers also said that they were proud to have George W as their President.

- winoweenie - 09-22-2001

Don't know what happened to my original post on this but here goes again. IK, I too watched every minute of the telethon. My observations and opinions are as follows; I was dissapointed the performers weren't identified. I knew maybe 2 of the how-ever many. Celine Dions' singing of " God Bless America" has to be ranked rite up there with a young Kate Smith, and I was embarrassed for one of my favorite performers of all time, Willie Nelson, showing his eroding talent to the world. Like the last year that Frank performed....a mere shadow of his former self. WW

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2001

Recognized most of the speakers, and a handful of the performers. The young lady (Polly or Holly Somethingorother) who sat at the piano and sang John Lennon's "Imagine" was awesome; even though I don't agree with the "one world" theme of the song.

- Botafogo - 09-22-2001

VERNE, Ms. Dion is A) a Canadian and B) her schmaltz is unbearable. As to the Red Headed Stranger, I was truly moved by not his singing but his guitar playing wherin he sort of fused Django Reinhardt and Chet atkins on the beautiful melody of America the Beautiful. Willie was CLASSICALY American: doing his best with what he has and bearing it all even if his voice is gone...

But what really blew my mind was the sight of Halle Berry and Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise and Goldie Hawn and Clint Eastwood answering the phones. I imagine it actually slowed things down considerably when a fan got a chance to talk to one of them. I hope it wasn't just for show.....

Roberto