WineBoard
Heard about Mondavi? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Heard about Mondavi? (/thread-20974.html)

Pages: 1 2

- dananne - 11-15-2004

Agree about the lack of a wine culture in America, but also agree with the impact of the lack of access for small quality producers. It's hard to break into the stranglehold of the KJs, the cheap Aussies, etc. when you can't get your wines out there because of the distribution process. Lets face it: something like 90% of all wines purchased in America are bought within 24 hours of being consumed, and most are purchased in grocery stores, state ABC-type stores, or general supply liquer stores. I mostly see the mass-marketed crap at those places, which is why I don't do much shopping there. I'll spend the extra time trying to find things, but for most Americans, they lack the time or patience to exercise that choice. They buy what's in front of them on the shelves. Put more options on those shelves, and it'd help the education process. Just my humble .02.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-15-2004

Kcwhippet, Paul does nothing to educate me. He is an arrogent ass. I do research because I love wine and finding that great value. I spend hours a day online reading and subscribe to many wine publications. Something that is missing in most wine drinkers. They want it quick and easy. Hence KJ and Yellow Tail.

- Kcwhippet - 11-15-2004

Paul's always been arrogant, but he used to have a bunch of wine events. His annual Champagne and sparkling wine tastings at the Publick House in Sturbridge were big events. Maybe he was directed to do such events by the management of Yankee Spirits. Too bad. You really need to educate the American wine drinker because they don't really have a clue, unfortunately. That's why we have tastings on Fridays and Saturdays at our shop. We figure the more the folks coming into the shop know about what's out there, the better chance we have of selling more than all that KJ Chard and Yellow Tail Shiraz that're on the racks. We even had a single malt Scotch tasting a few weeks ago. Michael Urquhart, Director of Gordon & MacPhail was in the shop with eight single malts. I made sure I was on the schedule that day.

- lizardbrains - 11-16-2004

I agree about the Budwiser/Coors comment. I think people just want to know what brand/type they like (ie: my parents - Beringer White Zin), and just stick with that. Ugh! But, hey, at least they're drinking something!

And regarding the notion about most wine being consumed within 24 hours of purchase... I think people either do that, or they store it for eternity and never drink it. I don't understand people who buy wine (ie: KJ, Beringer, etc. - stuff that is ready to drink when you buy it) and let it sit on a shelf in their kitchen (fully exposed to the light and heat) for years and years... as if it's going to taste better then? I want to tell them to shove it in the bottom drawer of their pantry at least!

And also... to add a little more to the mix... What is up with all of the wine cellars/refridgerators that are up for sale? (The ones from Costco, etc.) Do you think people really use those for wine? B/c most people I know either consume it within the 24 hours (as previously said), or store it for years and years with no plans to ever drink it b/c they're waiting for just the perfect occasion. *I* would use a wine cellar/refridgerator (if I had the room in my house, which I don't), b/c I appreciate wine and know when to consume what I purchase and I would like to store it properly. But I don't imagine that the average consumer in America really does. (JMHO)

Anyways... there are my random comments (unsolicited, but there they are!). :-)

-Elizabeth
P.S. I thought I should check in with you guys and see how it's going! Too bad about Mondavi. I detest Arbor Mist - my MIL actually believes it's a real wine! (gasp! gag gag!)

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 11-16-2004).]

- winoweenie - 11-17-2004

Hi LB and welcome back! The small wine coolers are indeed used by quite a few people. Keeps wine in a friendly environment and when the bug gets to them they go to the big boys that store from 200 to 500 bottles. Do your friends a favor and tell them storinmg wine over the stove in the kitchen is like killing it. WW