WineBoard
Wondering how Foodie, Shortwiner, etc. fared in great blackout? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Wondering how Foodie, Shortwiner, etc. fared in great blackout? (/thread-20935.html)

- wondersofwine - 08-15-2003

Of course, they may be staying home today or may not have electricity to power their computers to provide an answer. Wishing them and others effected by the blackout a quick recovery.

- hotwine - 08-15-2003

That episode is beyond belief. I'm thinking about thousands of people not getting home, no way to check on families, pets, food and WINES spoiling, dairy herds not being milked.... unreal! And 50 million people affected, or about 20% of the U.S. population. Incredible.

- Innkeeper - 08-15-2003

Don't forget our fellow North Americans. Toronto and Ottawa and points north and inbetween were also out.

- winoweenie - 08-15-2003

I tried calling Hotsie-poo 3 times today with no answer. What a bummer!!!WW

- hotwine - 08-15-2003

Moi, WW? Been right here all day.

- winoweenie - 08-16-2003

Sorry, meant Foodie-Poo. He must have shut down for the day. WW

- Thomas - 08-16-2003

Alive and well here. My wife and I have an apartment in the city on the 7th floor, elevatored building. Of course, the dog needed to go out a few times a day, and we needed to breath air a few times a day, so we climbed the stairs a few times a day--in the dark, with flashlights. Our neighborhood got power restored 2 PM on Friday. One interesting thing is that in city apartments, water still flows during a black out, and we needed a lot of water.

Thursday I cooked a gourmet dinner under candle light: a melange of chopped potatoes, eggs (fluffy scrambled with Tabasco and a touch of water), sweet red peppers, shallots, garlic and parsley. Not bad with a Sauv Blanc from Friuli, on the warm side, as the refrig. was slowing down.

is-wine was out of power until 9 PM Friday--must be in the wrong neighborhood. Luckily, when we shut down the place, it was cool enough so that with doors and windows closed the temp stayed ok for the wines, which was a major concern of course. We lost 1.5 days of business, which in our case is a lot in a week, especially Thurs and Fri, which are good days.

But, we made it through. I am at my place in the Finger Lakes; lost power for only six hours; no problems that I can locate.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-16-2003).]

- Thomas - 08-16-2003

The potato and egg recipe. Serves 2 in a blackout.

1 Tbl olive oil
1 pat butter (unsalted)
1 oz. Madeira or Sherry (sweet)
6 eggs
2 large potatoes (or a bunch of small ones)
2 shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Tabasco (2 OR 3 HEALTHY dashes) and a dash of water
Parsley chopped for garnish

Boil the potatoes until almost cooked, then slice them into small pieces. Let cool.

Break the eggs into a small bowl, add a dash of water and the Tabasco. Stir, with a fork (count forty stirs), and then stir no more.

In olive oil, saute shallots for 2 minutes, add garlic and saute one more minute; then, deglaze with wine, stir and add the potatoes. Cook for a minute, and then add the eggs and stir over saute temperature.

Continue stirring until the eggs are semi-cooked. Turn off flame and serve half on one plate, half on the other--granish with chopped parsley.

- tandkvd - 08-16-2003

Glad to hear that all is well Foodie.
Yesterday, my wife and I were watching the news about the power outage while we drank our coffee at 5:30 in the morning. Our power flickered several times and went compleatly out for about ten seconds. Our first thought was Ohh NO! Wound up that a car ran into a power pole. And our office manager was with out power all day from that insadent.
We have went through two major power outages,(hurican Hugo and the ice storms last year) that is not a pleasurable experiance.
I now have a generator in the garage ready to go.

Oh yeah, I have also saved the recipe. But I will not wait for a power outage to try it out.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 08-16-2003).]

- hotwine - 08-16-2003

Glad to hear all is well, Foodster.

- quijote - 08-16-2003

Foodie, I was just wondering how you and your wine shop fared. I'm glad to hear all is well.

- Thomas - 08-17-2003

quijot, I answered your question on the Novice Forum, re, wine shop temperatures.

More importantly, no one noticed I messed up on the potato and egg recipe. What happened to the pat of butter? It goes in just before the eggs.