WineBoard
Glenora Retreat (?) News - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Glenora Retreat (?) News (/thread-20930.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- glenora - 05-13-2004

Foodie called a while ago--3 PM east coast time--to report WW's plane was going to be 3 hours late arriving in NYC. Needless to say Foodie was pulling what was left of his hair out as he and WW plan to drive from NYC to Glenora this evening which is about a 4 1/2 jaunt

- glenora - 05-14-2004

WW and the Foodster arrived at Glenora at 11 PM

- Thomas - 05-14-2004

...and the foodster got home at 11:40.

The three-hour flight delay was increased by the fact that the airlines put ww's luggage onto a later flight. So with an hour more to kill, we went to a nearby Portuguese restaurant and ate dinner. Then, I informed ww that I was going to kill him and Continental Airlines, but after we got out of the rush hour traffic...

- Kcwhippet - 05-14-2004

We're running a bit late, too, folks. We'll be leaving at about 10:30 EDT. That should get us into Glenora somewhere around 3:30 or 4:00. See y'all then.

- chittychattykathy - 05-15-2004

So, what I am reading so far is that you should all be there by Sunday??? That's GREAT!
[img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]
Miss you all here,
CCK

- glenora - 05-15-2004

They are here--

Wondersofwine, WW, Innkeeper and wife, Georgie and sister, KC and wife are at the Inn and Foodie is in Hammondsport.

Last evening was spent "getting to know everyone" which was made much easier by the fact that NYSEG (our very reliable electric provider) decided to turn off the lights (thunderstorm/rain/wind --so it wine, candles, wine, pizza (from the next town), and more wine. At the end of the evening we even a couple of the guests at the Inn(from Europe) joining us.

Regarding the pictures--the group has decided "what goes on in camp, stays in camp" That was moved by WW and seconded by KC.

Today we are off the Herman Wiemer, Anthony Road, Fox Run, perhaps Knapp or Lamoreaux Landing and then Wagner.

Tonight Chef Art and Steve (Glenora winemaker) will be entertaing us.

Gene

- glenora - 05-15-2004

Forgot

KC brought pictures of California girl and his grandchildren--he was strutting around like a peacock--he should as they are an attractive family

- californiagirl - 05-15-2004

DAD!!!!

Well... from the sound of your voicemail... it looks like ya'll are having a good time. Just drive safe. (Words from a cop's wife)

No bid deal on the pics... how about a recap at the end? (Don't leave out the food.)

- tandkvd - 05-16-2004

WHAT NO PICTURES!

Ya bunch of wine Scruges. Enjoying all that good food and wine and no pics. for us to even salavate over, while we slave at work.

I hope all is going well with every one up there. (How many do you have in the corner Georgie [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] )

And do have a safe trip home tomorrow.

- chittychattykathy - 05-16-2004

Just not posting pix was a good choice in the end-- very wise that WW. (Would not want photos of myself eating/drinking/flirting posted on the net.) This said, sharing a few with your "special" friends is highly recommended...
A few pix should be able to find their way to me via email from a few of the "campers" sometime this week.
Please and Thank You!
CCK
[img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

BTW- I would also like to see pix of the wineries, please.

- glenora - 05-17-2004

The party is over (IT WAS GREAT)

All are heading back home today, with the exception of wondersofwine who is off to NYC for 2-3 days before heading south.

I am sure the pictures will begin to appear in a day or so

There was lots of discussion about the next "retreat". I will let the others fill everyone in on that.

- Bucko - 05-17-2004

We need to do the "next retreat" on the left coast.

- Thomas - 05-17-2004

What do you mean by "we?" I don't recall seeing you on the right coast this weekend...

- chittychattykathy - 05-17-2004

What?! Are we rappers now?
"Left Coast"
"Right Coast"
LOL

- Innkeeper - 05-17-2004

We just arrived at daughter's house in Raymond, NH after leaving Foodie's (where we spent the night) about ten hours earlier. We had to go back to Senaca Lake where mother had to take a picture of a waterfall we had seen on Saturday when we were without camara. Then we drove up the east side to I-90, losing a good hour in the process. Then, of course, we had to make many stops. Sigh!

The weekend was great. More wine was flowing then we could drink, literally. Almost all of it was great. If one highlight could be picked, it would be "making" our own "champage" at Glenora on Sunday morning. The bubbly had been removed from the riddling racks, place in a vessel that froze the dead yeast in the necks. We then each finished a bottle by first degorging the yeast, then filled the space with sugar water (sorry forgot the term) to the Brut level. Then we corked and caged, and capsuled them, and picked up all material to label them when we get home. It was very interesting.

On Friday night by candlelight we had pizza and WW's '94s (six different ones!), and some juice some of we others brought. After joining WW for his champagne breakfast on Saturday morning Gene led us round the lake to vist Weimer, Fox Run (where we had lunch washed down with their lemburber and cabernet franc), Knapp (one of Gene's other properties, and very nice), and Wagner; hic. That night we had a fabulous dinner in the Glenora Winery that might be described as an Italian Mongolian BBQ. We selected meat, fish, veggies, and other condiments, and the chef finished them in OO and wine over individual burners. Then we had a choice of three pastas and three sauces. More great wine was provided by WW, KC, and Foodie. After the "champage" event Sunday we went first to Dr Franks, which was terrific. Then it was off to Foodies where he and Anne plied us with smoked salmon and chicken and all the fixings. There was a table full of increible wine provided by all in the dining room, that we couldn't finish. Some of best pinot we ever had from both sides of the ocean were featured, with Port with dessert. There were many, many other wines, including Gene's reisling, that were too numerous to mention.

A wonderful time was has by all, thanks to Gene's careful planning, attention to detail, and staying with us all the time, when he had plenty of other things to do. Pictures will be following. TN's by KC and WOW will also follow.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-17-2004).]

- dananne - 05-17-2004

Sounds absolutely amazing!

- Georgie - 05-17-2004

There are hardly superlative enough superlatives to describe the fabulous time we had this weekend. Sister and I arrived home around 3pm after dropping ww off at Newark airport. He was very well-behaved in the car since we put him in the back seat out with the horn out of arm's reach! I think I drank and I KNOW I tasted more wine this weekend than ever in my life. Many thanks to Gene who was the tour guide exceptionale, spending his entire weekend entertaining us! What a generous, gracious man you are, Gene. Your wonderful, helpful, friendly staff are surely a reflection of you! Great thanks to foodie and Anne (and Henry) who hosted a beautiful afternoon on their deck in its idyllic setting. What fun! After looking forwrd to this gathering for such a long time, I can only say that it was even better than I'd hoped it would be. Thank you one and all for such a great time! [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 05-17-2004

Thank you for the kind words.

I concur: Gene outdid himself.

- newsguy - 05-17-2004

keep those reports coming folks. i knew it would be an incredible weekend and it sounds like it was all that and then some. let's do this again soon (i know, i didn't "do" it this time), and let's head to NoCal in consideration of our left coast brethren.

- hotwine - 05-17-2004

And I missed it! BAWL, sob, sniffle!