WineBoard
A Story about Yquem from one of my pushers - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: A Story about Yquem from one of my pushers (/thread-20838.html)

- TheEngineer - 07-21-2010

A local pusher that I've known for some time told me a story that was funny and at the same time confirmed what I've heard about the legendary longevity and indestructibility of Yquem (like the one that where a person kept it about the stove for 20 years, it was below shoulder, black in colour and was incredible to taste,.....). (note to local pusher, if you are reading this, I hope I did not misrepresent the store. I tried to faithfully represent this but timeline was a bit fuzzy).

He had visit this friend on night a few years ago. This friend had opened up a magnum of 89 Yquem at his wedding night which had occurred about 9 months before his visit. They had put the empty bottle near a fireplace and just forgot about it. My pusher noticed on picking it up that there was just about a thimble full of wine left in the bottle. They ran to get a small glass and they poured it out. It was apparently glorious! Even after 9 months beside the fireplace (use unknown), in an opened bottle. This thing is a incredible. I laughed pretty hard at that story.

- Kcwhippet - 07-21-2010

There was a local wine and spirits shop that closed a few years ago due to mismanagement by the owner's kids after he passed away. The wine manager was a good friend of mine and we were commiserating over the shop's demise in his office one day and he told me to sit tight for a minute. He came back with a 375 ml bottle with a very dark wine filled down to the shoulder. He opened it up and we proceeded to finish the whole bottle of 1929 Yquem. He said they'd never miss it, in fact they probably didn't even know they had it. Truly awesome stuff! It's amazing how long those bottles can last.

- hotwine - 07-21-2010

1929?! That's incredible!

Did you see the recent news report of 18th century Champagne being pulled from an old shipwreck in the Baltic? Swedish divers brought up a bottle of what they think is Veueve Clicquot from the mid-1780s, bound for the Russian Czar in St Petersburg; they tried the one bottle and pronounced it fantastic. If authenticated, each bottle could be worth about $68 grand.

What do you figure a '29 Yquem would be worth?

- TheEngineer - 07-22-2010

For the 1929, a wine shop in NJ has that listed for $7500 but in the UK it can be had for $3K. At auction probably closer to $1500-2000. I saw a recently re-corked 1934 in PERFECT shape that I wanted but did not stay at the auction for go for $700.

HW, you noticed that the article did not let yo know how many bottles where down there. It there are 12 then yes but if there are hundreds of cases,...then you and I may be able to pool our resources to get one and then have an offline [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] BTW, its been a long time since the last offline.... Anyone wanna come to London????

- winoweenie - 07-22-2010

You can send my air tickies to Phoenix enny time !!!!!WW [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 07-22-2010

London's a great town.... it's where we were married in '75.

Be sure to visit La Buchee' on Old Brompton Road.

- Drew - 07-23-2010

Eileen and I were there 10 years ago for several weeks and love, love, loved it!

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 07-23-2010

Worked there for about 7 months back in 1990. Acually worked up in Harlow, but not that far from London. Nice time, but I enjoyed the year I lived and worked in Paris just a bit better.

- hotwine - 07-23-2010

A year in Paris?! Poor, poor baby.

- TheEngineer - 07-23-2010

I wish I could go to Paris....it's just a short train ride and I've never done it...btw, back home and headed to NYNY this weekend for a bit of R&R. Gonna look for a few wine opps during the weekend.