WineBoard
TYPES OF WINE - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: TYPES OF WINE (/thread-20811.html)

- tastie - 01-04-2001

I JUST DISCOVERED THE TASTE OF WINE THIS SUMMER. I ENJOY WINE ESPECIALLY WHEN OUT TO DINNER. I FEEL SILLY WHEN LOOKING AT THE WINE LISTS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE TYPES OF WINES. I NEED SOME HELP ON UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENCES OF WINES. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

- mrdutton - 01-04-2001

Hello fellow Delawarean - I was born and raised in Newark. From whence do you hail?

Go to the local book store and peruse the various tomes you find there about wines. One that comes to mind (no insult intended) is Wine for Dummies. Many people have suggested this book for wine beginners, even though the title puts me off a bit.

The book I started with was Larousse Encyclopedia of Wine. Barnes and Nobel has this in stock.

Find a good wine shop nearby and make yourself known to the staff. Ask questions, listen to their advice. Try different wines and establish your own tastes.

The above are but a few suggestions. You'll find a lot of very good information on this site. Look around and read as many of the postings as you can.

And above all, come back and ask as many questions as you wish. We will be glad to answer them, of that I am certain.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-04-2001).]

- barnesy - 01-04-2001

The book suggestion (wine for dummies) is exactly what i would suggest.

When i first started out, I had two wine shops to choose from. I went to each, asked one of the employees to help me select something based on what I had drank previously. I took one bottle from each store. I went home, tried them both. I did the same thing again (asking the same employee). Well, the one shop picked one wine that I sorta liked and one that didn't like at all. The other shop picked two for me that I really liked. The second shop now has all of my business. I go to that one employee, and he has yet to disappoint me. When he doesn't know about the wine I am curious about, he asks one of the other employees. Turns out, he had been a distributor for Louis Jadot and Georges Duboeuf. Both of which make some of my favorite wines. The best thing is to find a good shop and a good employee to help you learn about different wines. Once you get a list of wines you have tried and like, you can then pick similar ones off of wine lists.

Oh, also ask your wine employee for some food suggestions to go with the wine you are buying.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 01-05-2001

Hi Tastie and welcome to the board. Your name is the perfect foil for assesing wines. Taste, notate, file. Taste, notate, file. As you taste wines that are pleasing to your palate, file that sucker away in the ole` memory bank, then taste some more. You`ll be amazed how quickly you get a handle on your likes and dislikes. winoweenie

- tastie - 01-09-2001

I live in Sussex County, Rehoboth area, and love it! Many fine dining establishments to taste various wines. Thanks you so much for the suggested book (wine for dummies). No insult taken for I feel like a dummy when ordering and buying wine. I will head to a bookstore this weekend with the various titles given. Finding a good store is important. Do you really believe that the store helpers really know what they are talking about when giving advice? And how about the servers at restaurants? I tell them what I want in a wine and hope I get something I like without spending big bucks for a bottle I don't enjoy. Thanks for all the advice! I will continue to taste and learn!

- mrdutton - 01-09-2001

There is a very good wine and spirits shop nearby on Delaware 1. But darned if I can remember the name.

However, a couple of our staunchest members purchase wine there all the time. Drew and IK are the purchasers. If Drew reads this, maybe he'll give you the name, address and telephone number. IK is on travel right now, so he won't be able to respond.

Meanwhile, I'll do a search and see if I can locate the place. If I do, I'll post it here for you.

Rehoboth used to be my second home along with Fenwick Island, Dewey Beach, Indian River Inlet and OC.

There are some very fine, gourmet restaurants in the area. Dinner Bell Inn has been around for a long, long time. Then there is a very fine place on Rehoboth Ave, but I can't remember the name. I also like THE HOBBIT in OC, amongst others.

I did the search and found the name, address and telephone number:

Atlantic Wines & Liquors
4471 Highway 1
Rehoboth, DE

Phone (302) 645-5229

Happy hunting!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-09-2001).]

- rebelbo - 01-10-2001

Tastie Ihave worked in the hotel and restaurant business for 20 years. You are the reason I work in the business. A good server or wine steward is primed to help you experience the many pleasures of the marriage between food&wine. Make them aware of your lack of knowledge and if they don't assist you in a way that enhances your dining experience, without draining your life's fortune, then fine another eatery!
I have sold wine to guests at a price point just above cost to have them try something different. Not all establishments can do this,but there is some room to fudge. The goal is to have you leave the restaurant wanting to return and if that includes educating you on various food and wine topics; well lets do it.

- winoweenie - 01-10-2001

MrD, I leave for a few and you forget that the second thing to go is the memory.WW

- mrdutton - 01-10-2001

I can't remember what the first thing to go is.......!!!!!