WineBoard
Had a really good day today... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Had a really good day today... (/thread-20793.html)

- Kcwhippet - 09-12-2007

...NOT!!! Very similar to WW's experience, but with a slight difference. I had a rot canal that was apparently failing, so the dentist guy sent me to an endodontist. She said "Hmmmmm. I'm not proficient enough to do what needs to be done." This from the President of the Massachusetts Association of Endodontists and a professor of endontotry (or whatever) at a prestigious dental school. So, I was moved over to her colleague and he said "Hmmmm. We have an interesting situation here." My options were to have the tooth pulled and an implant put in at incredible cost, or to have an apicoectomy done at considerably less expense and hope for the best. Well, this morning I had the apioectomy done. If you don't know what that is, they cut a flap of skin in front of the offending tooth, drill a hole through the bone, suck out all the crap in there, cut the bottoms of the roots off, pack them, fill the hole and stitch up the skin flap. That took three hours, and after some follow up x-rays he is very encouraged.Part of the instructions are to abstain from alcohol for a week, so I questioned that. He told me just to take it easy - not to go over two bottles of wine a night (he said that with a chuckle not being aware of our wine consumption proclivities). Instructions are also for soft foods or cool soups. So, while waiting for Judy to get home, I've been making a roasted tomato soup for dinner and a loaf of soft Italian bead. The soup's really great - I roast halved Roma tomatoes with shallots, garlic, rosemary, thyme and EVOO (all seasoned with Kosher salt) until they start to break down. Then simmer with my own unsalted chicken stock until it's well reduced. Then I put it all through a food mill, back into the pot heated up with chopped basil, some balsamic vinegar, white pepper and salt to finish. There'll be some Parm to top when I serve, with a Zin and the bread. Been working through some Cline Zin while cooking. Oh yeah, he gave me prescriptions for Motrin AND Vicodin if the pain gets bad. So far so good - it's been eight hours and the local is just now starting to wear off and no real pain to speak of - just some expected tenderness. Of course, after over 400 sutures from various injuries and accidents over the years, this is getting to be old hat. I'll keep the Zin close by. I'll check in later if I'm still coherent.

- winoweenie - 09-12-2007

Sounds like fun and games to moi'. I was amazed at how litte pain I experienced after the fact. Hope all goes well and if it gets unbearable, open anuffer bottle. WW

- Innkeeper - 09-12-2007

We feels for you. Still haven't paid off my partial bridge yet!!!

- Bucko - 09-13-2007

Boy, a bottle of Port, a pair of Vice Grips and I can have that rascal out of you in a heartbeat. Come on over.

- dananne - 09-13-2007

Sounds like a rough day. Hope you are feeling better this morning, and hope the soup/Zin combo worked wonders!

- Kcwhippet - 09-13-2007

Feeling a bit better, but the anaesthetic and the Zin have worn off. The area is a bit swollen and sore, though not unbearably so right now (800 Motrin helps). With the soup, we opened a 2003 Ridge Independence School Zin. Soup was wonderful, Zin was fabulous (last bottle - I should have bought more).

- winoweenie - 09-13-2007

Doubt you'll be going to work so will call you in an hour or so. Stiff upper lip, be sturdy, forge ahead, and all that stuff. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 09-13-2007

Owowow. Hurts thinking about it. I'm chicken, would have opted for the Vice-Grips.

- Kcwhippet - 09-13-2007

WW, I'm at work, but don't know how much longer I'll be here. Pains ramping up a bit even though I took a Motrin.

- TheEngineer - 09-13-2007

KC, if you call that a good day....what the @#$@ is a bad day????

btw, I love that word proclivities....and I certainly would not know how to use it after going through what you just did...

- wondersofwine - 09-13-2007

Sorry about your dental woes, KC. Can't believe it was beyond the capability of the professor!

I had the misfortune to have my first root canal (of two total) coincide with my first hurricane. The root canal was the worse experience of the two.

- brappy - 09-13-2007

Just drink some aussie stuff. Won't take away the pain, but if you drink enough, you won't care that you have it......

Get better!!!!!!!!!!

mark

- Glass_A_Day - 09-14-2007

Ditto on the 2003 Ridge Independence School. Sorry about the tooth. Hey, it's like I tell my wife when she is going through some nonsense, when it's over it will be like it never happened. Come to think of it, it worked that way with the zin too... [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]