WineBoard
Bye for a While - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Bye for a While (/thread-20788.html)

- Innkeeper - 05-22-2006

We will gone till Friday. Taking Bev to Utica via Shrewsbury. While there we will be down to the Finger Lakes on Wednesday including lunch with Gene at Knapp, back to Shrewsbury Thursday, and home on Friday.

- winoweenie - 05-22-2006

Drive carefully on them back roads IK. Have fun and we'll be waiting with bated breath fer youses' return. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 05-22-2006

Have fun, IK. (If that's possible, given the high gas prices. Just remember, folks in the UK and Europe have been payin' $6-$8/gal for DECADES, thanks to socialized EVERYthing.)

- Innkeeper - 05-27-2006

We returned home yesterday. It was a very nice trip. We left Monday and swung by Shrewsbury to pick up a three pack KC was sending to Gene. Spent the night in Clifton Park, NY with Bev’s cousin, and had a great Italian meal she fixed that we washed down with a bottle of Valle Martello Monte. On Tuesday Bev had a very good appointment with her doctor in Utica, and does not have to go back for a year. That night we went to Grinaldi’s and had a wonderful Italian meal washed down with their house Monte.

On Wednesday we drove down to the Finger Lakes hitting the east side of Seneca first. We first stopped at Atwater for the first time, and it was very nice. We bought two Rieslings. Next we went to Standing Stone and found them closed on Wednesdays! So we went next door to Wagner and bought two Rieslings and a Vidal Ice Wine that we might well have picked up at Standing Store if they had been open.

Next we met Gene for lunch at Knapp. Had a very nice discussion with him on a wide variety of subjects, and enjoyed Knapp’s crab cakes with their Finger Lakes Chardonnay. We picked up two bottles of the delicious oak free Chard. Gene took us out to watch the Canadian vine planting machine that was working its way north from Virginia to the Niagara Peninsula. It uses a laser to plant perfectly straight rows at an exact depth with exact spacing in about five minutes per row. We exchanged the wine from KC for a case from Gene to KC and let Gene get back to work.

We crossed over to the west side of Seneca, planning to taste our way down, and return up the east side. However we were detoured by a very serious accident, which fortunately had no fatalities. When we got back to the wine trail we were below Fox Run, and they would not let us go back up north. So we went to Anthony Road and Glenora and bought two bottles of Riesling at both stops. The folks at Glenora called Fox Run and found that the road had reopened so back we went. The tasting room manager there named Dan Mitchell was about a hundred cuts above your typical tasting room manager. He is very knowledgeable and personable. We found that they had sold out of Lemberger, and that the new vintage would be out in a couple of months. We bought two bottles of Cabernet Franc.

We returned to Utica, and had an Italian dinner at Lapino’s Trackside. We were wined out so Bev had ice tea and I had a couple of bottles of Saranac Black and Tan. The next day we returned to Shrewsbury and spend a wonderful evening with KC and Jude. We went to the byob diner he is always talking about. We started with stuffed mussels, fish chowder, and salad and washed it all down with a 2002 Siduri Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. For entrées, Jude had veal, and the rest of us had bbq’d baby back ribs. KC popped a Napa Valley Syrah (forgot the name) that was lush and peppery and fantastic too. We split two Banana Fosters’ for dessert. Back at the house we sipped an Oregonian Late Harvest Pinot Gris. After a fabulous breakfast yesterday morning, we returned home to be met by a thoroughly pissed off cat.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-27-2006).]

- brappy - 05-27-2006

Sounds like a fun trip IK.... My wife and I are trying to get up there sometime in September. Or sometime after harvest anyway... Thanks for the details..

mark

- Thomas - 05-27-2006

Too bad you couldn't have stayed another day IK. Yetserday I presented a class at Fox Run and we had a dinner afterwards.

The 2002 Cabernet Franc is stellar.

And you are correct, Dan Mitchell is a good tasting room manager.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-27-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 05-27-2006

We knew about your presentation and were very disappointed to miss it, but we were staying in Utica, and had to get back as KC had a boating committment for the weekend starting on Friday.

- Kcwhippet - 05-30-2006

IK,

You should have gone to Foodie's thing. We can get together anytime, though we did have a great time having you and Bev here. The Napa Syrah was a 2003 Novy, and the Oregon LH Pinot Gris was from Willakenzie, BTW. Glad to hear the 02 Fox Run CF is that good - IK and Bev left one for our later enjoyment.

- Thomas - 06-01-2006

KC, After the class at Fox Run we had dinner. Of the four wines served, the 02 CF was definitely the star. Wonderful wine.

And then the following day I opened their 03(?) Lemberger. Another outstanding effort 80% L 20% CF.

- wondersofwine - 06-01-2006

Speaking of pissed cats, my sister abandoned hers for three weeks during Mom's illness and death and her husband was gone for two weeks. A neighbor boy fed the cat, but when my brother-in-law returned home the cat was divided between angry meows and growls for the desertion and three close up visits during the night to be sure the man of the house was still there. My sister hasn't been home yet. (Also Gary got home Sunday but didn't call the neighbor cat feeder right away. Hunter came in Sunday night to check on the cat and both he and Gary were startled to find somebody else in the house!)