WineBoard
We may have gone overboard yesterday..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: We may have gone overboard yesterday..... (/thread-20734.html)

- Kcwhippet - 02-11-2008

....but what fun. We had Dave, a fellow manager at the wine shop, over yesterday for a day of food and wine - lots of food and lots of wine. I baked up some bread before he came over to go with the food, and as it turned out to help absorb some of the wine. I had also marinated some whole water chestnuts for one of the appetizers. Dave brought a 1995 Remoissenet Montrachet du Domaine Thenard which we drank while we were doing the prep work on the apps and dinner. Winoweenie called while we were at this stage and admitted that maybe this would be one SW he might be tempted with. Anyway, we (Dave and I) made the apps - bacon wrapped water chestnuts (marinated in soy sauce, honey, veal stock, rice wine and garlic) and quickly boiled fresh Red Maine shrimp (the boil had salt, bay leaves, Meyer lemons, black peppercorns, yellow mustard seeds, cloves, dill seed, red pepper flakes and some Sauvignon Blanc). While we ate these, we had a 2006 Starling Castle Rheinhessen Riesling - very, very nice, We were joined then by our niece and her boyfriend, so we opened a bottle of Glenora 2001 Brut to celebrate his election to his city council seat. As Dave and I continued prepping, we finished off the Tin Roof SB that was in the shrimp boil. When that was empty we did a Merlot (I won't tell you the winery for fear of derisive jeers, but it was quite nice - not much nose to speak of, but a a nice fruity drink). We marinated some flat iron steaks in some of the Merlot, olive oil, garlic, parsley, rosemary and dry mustard. Whileit was marinating, Dave made the Chimichurri sauce that was to go with the steak while I did the twice baked potatoes that had their first bake after the water chestnuts came out of the oven. Then I made up a mixture of butter, garlic (used quite bit throughout the day yesterday), parley, basil, salt and fresh ground pepper which went on half a loaf of the bread to make herbed garlic bread. Put the potatoes and bread in the oven and opened a bottle of Novy 2006 Viognier while we waited. Boiled up some fresh baby carrots and put the steaks on the grillfor a few minutes per side (we like it at the point where you still have to beat it down with a stick to keep it from jumping off the plate). Finished off the carrots with some melted butter, meyer lemon juice and salt - plated them and sprinkled dill on top. Dave took off the steaks and bias cut them, then plated them with the Chimichurri sauce on the side. Finally, onto the table with the steak, the twice baked potatoes, the carrots and the herbed garlic bread. We were also going to do a Caesar salad (from scratch, of course) but decided there was enough food already. At WW's suggestion, we opened a 1999 Insignia to go with the meal. After dinner, we decided to play some cards and put out a tray of Stilton and walnuts to go with the Delaforce 10 year and Barros 20 year ports. We finished off with some 2005 Nachtgold Eiswein a distributor had dropped off at the shop. It was a lot of fun doing this with Dave since we both worked as professional cooks in previous lives. I'm not quite sure, but I think we killed a total of thirteen bottles in a heroic stab at hedonism.

- hotwine - 02-11-2008

Yee-haa! Sounds fantastic!

- dananne - 02-11-2008

Sounds like a helluva time! Sigh, Anne had to drink alone this weekend as I've been fighting off the stupid bug that seems to have felled every third person down here. Looking forward to getting back on the horse, as it were.

- Kcwhippet - 02-12-2008

This was the kind of day that would have been fun to have had a few more folks from the board. The food was wonderful, and easy to prep and cook. The kitchen is 14 x 28, so there's plenty of room for 4 or more people to help with the prep, and that can be a lot of fun. If too much wine just happens to be consumed, we have room for 8 people to have a bed, and room for another 4 on pull outs. I talked to CCK a few days ago and she'll be in the area about June with her sweetie. Maybe we can get some of the locals together for another day of food and wine.

- wondersofwine - 02-12-2008

Thanks for posting about both the food and the wines.

- TheEngineer - 02-12-2008

Wow...that sounds like an awesome time. 13 bottles for 4-5 people is a a helluva lot of wine!!

I'm like Dan, med up and can't think straight. Not sure waht has hit me but it is hitting hard....

- Drew - 02-12-2008

Good, Googily, Moogily!! Unbelievable! Sounds like a great time. How's your head?

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 02-13-2008

The head's fine - - - - today. I was a bit slow yesterday, but luckily I had it off. Dave closed yesterday so he didn't have to go in until 1 pm and he said he was in a bit of a fog most of the day.

- winoweenie - 02-13-2008

Sorry I'm so slow in putting up a note on the festivities but being the tech pro I be i decided to hook up a new phone to go with the new office-jet all-in-one thingie I bought to replace 14 obsolete whatcha-callems but somehow one lil' connection slipped out so I've been without fax, e-mail and internet for 4 days. Happened jes after I talked to KC and after I'd finished a bottle of sumpin'. Dern I'm so proud of youse Judy leading them dudes thru the malestrom of sobriety. I know that you did your part. Sounds like me kinda party. The appetizers sound killer. Package some up, freeze them suckers and Fed-Ex'm to moi'. Will try to recount some tasting notes soon. WW