WineBoard
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas everyone! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas everyone! (/thread-20668.html)

- TheEngineer - 12-25-2008

Back home with Family today and getting ready to carve a bird for 15 people....only 1 of which drinks..@#$!#!@ namely me.....

nonetheless, great to have family around during this time of year. So happy holiay to you and yours!!

- hotwine - 12-26-2008

Back at you. Had a great time here, and knocked off 6 btls among 12 people... about right.

- Thomas - 12-26-2008

12 people/six bottles. I call that slacking...

Why is that upside down Yield sign on my post and how do we change those things???

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-26-2008).]

- Innkeeper - 12-26-2008

Hi all, we just got back from our daughter's up in Haverhill, NH. On Christmas Eve we had all but she and family here (a total of eleven with four wine drinkers. We had baked ham, a variation on the Mediterranean veggies, and potato break it was washed down with two bottles of Salmon Run Pinot Noir.

Yesterday, we and one other family went up to Haverhill. Bev brought along a large tenderloin that she precooked the night before. She also brought a stuffing she made from onions, fennel bulb, and herbs and spices. These were sauteed and then put in the food processor. Up there she cooked the tenderloin a little more and then covered it with the stuffing and wrapped it with puff pastry for a variation on Beef Wellington, and baked it again. It was to die for. I made a killer Bearnaise sauce to go with it. Daughter serve a variety of veggies. Five of us killed two bottles of Knapp Merlot with it.

It is good to be home and able to rest up a little.

- Georgie - 12-26-2008

Hi All! A belated Merry Christmas to all my friends on the board. My fiance has a big family that likes to get together in his tiny house on Christmas Eve. About 25 people ranging in age from 11 weeks to 73! What a happy chaotic time of unwrapping, eating and merry-making! I bought myself a bottle of Prosecco of which I had one small glass. (It was CHRISTMAS after all...)Then candelight service at 11 p.m. Christmas Day was just the four of us at my sister's house. It was a delightfully peaceful contrast to the night before. Today, my favorite day of the year, because there's nothing that really needs to be done, I slept until 11 and relaxed. No school until January 5th! Whoopee!

- winoweenie - 12-27-2008

No big get-together this year at the weeners. I told all my children and grand-children that in lieu of the party and presents CB and I had decided to take the money and donate it to the Red Cross, Galveston Chapter and we'd appreciate it that they take whatever they were considering spending on presents for us and do the same. Amazingly all cooperated and so CB and I are having the grand-kids over for some food and wine Monday as our GD that lives in New York City is in town and we need to see that darlin' child. All-in-all a lovely holiday. WW

- Drew - 12-27-2008

Was supposed to have Christmas Eve at our home this year but son and daughter in law asked to host at their home. Since I had purchased the feast I took, and prepared at their house. 5 lb beef tenderloin with mushroom stuffing rolled like a jelly roll and roasted to medium rare. Mixed berry trifle made with homemade pound cake, whipped cream/rigotta cheese mousse. Very nice except 2 of 3 grand kids were sick. Good news in my brother in law landed a new job having been out of work since last December due to mortgage industry collapse. 6 wine drinkers with a bunch of terrific wines that I'll post on. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 12-27-2008

We had a quiet Christmas. Worked till 7 pm Wednesday, then went with Judy to my sister's place to see her and family - Dad was there with his own CB. Thuesday Judy and I just spent the day together enjoying each other's company. My son (Steve) and his fiance (Serena) are in Anguilla and St. Maarten for Christmas, and are going to Park City, UT for New Years. So, the first time we can all get together is Jan. 10, so Judy and I, Steve and Serena, daughter Kristin, SIL Steve (two Steves gets confusing), grandson Nicholas, friend Don (some of you have met him), our pseudo niece Meghan, and lastly Dad and his CB Suzi are all getting together here for my famous prime rib roast with all the fixins - and plenty of wine. Steve and Serena have become quite the travelers. In 2008, they've been to London, Kenya, Cozumel/Cancun, Italy, several places around the country skiing, Toronto for Thanksgiving and the places I mentioned above. It's all old hat with Serena - her mother lives in Nairobi, brother is in Toronto, one sister is in Malaysia, and the other is in Sydney (med school).

- Bucko - 12-27-2008

Old man winter ruined all of our get together plans. We had a record two feet of snow dumped on us. It paralyzed the area since we are not prepared for such weather. I don't even know anyone who owns a snow shovel, much less a snow thrower. The cities are overwhelmed just trying to keep main arterials open.

It took us 20 minutes to drive a half-mile to a neighbors house in my four-wheel drive pickup last night. I had turtles passing me, flipping me off. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'm sure glad we have Al Gore's global warming going on, otherwise we would be totally buried. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 12-29-2008

Winter weather in the Midwest scuttled my plans to visit my sister in Iowa. I was worried about possibly being stranded at O'Hare Airport Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so canceled my flight and stayed in North Carolina. Friends from church invited me over Christmas Day for beef fondue, late afternoon. We had a Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc (pretty good) as an aperitif and the Chateau de Basty Regnie (Beajolais Cru) that I brought with the beef fondue. I also left them a Spanish dessert wine (blend of Moscato and Gewurztraminer) to open when their adult children arrive after Christmas. I attended a Christmas Eve service that started at 10:30 PM and let out after midnight. I now have to mail packages to my nephew's family since I had planned to deliver the gifts in person in Iowa.

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2008

Bucko,

Isn't it amazing how so much of what Al Gore garnered all those kudos for seems to be just so much BS? I've read recently that more than 600 scientists around the world have debunked all of what Gore has been spouting. The head of his research team was recently let go because he realized that most of what he's been told to put forth is a lie. Also amazing is that the guy Obama has named as his chief science advisor is the chief proponent of Gore's global warming hype. What a load has been foisted on us!!!

- winoweenie - 12-30-2008

WELL.........What started out to be a small get-together for my gorgeous G-D in from Noo Yorkie turned into controlled bedlam with the appearance of my eldest daughter drom Boulder Co who decided at the last minuet to board a big bird and come see the sun. Also m one of my grand-sons that is in college, has a job as manager of a Pizza Hut, and teaches a bible study group showed up with this stunner on his arm. No-one in the family had any idea he had time for girls much less a Miss America candidate! Luckily I had a 7 lb. prime tenderloin, 7 dips, 2 whole wheat baguettes, 4 bags of different Tostias and a wheel of Cougar Gold and some bottles opened. Started with some basic Avalon cab and knew no way in the whole-wide-lucky-charm would this last. Don't exactly have the list yet but will post this P.M. after I take the copunt. Was supposed to wrap up at 4pm but the last adios was at 7:30. Needless to say the weener hit the sheets immediately and as is obvious by the time on this post I almost got a solid 12 of beddy-bye. Later! WW