WineBoard
Possible virus??? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Possible virus??? (/thread-20625.html)

- Drew - 01-04-2002

Opened an attachment from a friend yesterday entitled screen.com. The attachment apparently injected a program that mixes up the icons on your desktop when you place the mouse pointer on an icon, very juvenile and irritating but no more than that. I ran a Norton virus scan with 0 results. I can't figure this out and am asking....
1. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
2. How do I get rid of it.
3. I won't be sending emails to anyone until I clear up this problem so if you get an email from me...DON'T OPEN IT!!!

Drew

- Bucko - 01-04-2002

I like the McAfee on-line virus protection plan. It updates daily and catches every bug out there. FWIW....

- winoweenie - 01-05-2002

2nd on the McAfee. As computer illiterate as I am, only the best help works. WW

- mrdutton - 01-05-2002

I won't recommend McAfee to anyone because of bad experiences with it NOT finding a virus that was on my father's computer (even after getting the latest update from them).

Norton Antivirus found the virus on his computer, cleaned it out, restored the previously infected files with no problems at all after the clean-up.

This was a recent experience - last month.

About 5 years ago our Novell network at work was infected with a Microsoft Word virus. McAfee did not detect that one either. IBM Antivirus did detect it and cleaned the virus out of our network.

Three years ago, IBM and Norton got together. IBM Antivirus transitioned from Big Blue to Norton and became the latest iteration of Norton Antivirus.

I trust Norton to keep me clean. I don't trust McAfee.

- Innkeeper - 01-05-2002

Same here, switched from McAfee to Norton over a year ago, and am very hoppy.

- Bucko - 01-05-2002

Been drinking too much beer, IK?

I've had just the opposite experience with McAfee vs. Norton.........

- Innkeeper - 01-05-2002

Only problem I've have with Norton is that it won't let me go to our picture site. Then, again, if I disable it, Win95 won't let me go either; calling it an "illegal act."

- mrdutton - 01-05-2002

Drew,

Check out taskmanager and see what is running. Close down each one of the programs in your taskmanager (using end task) except for explorer and systray. End one task at a time..........

Keep doing that until the problem goes away, making note of the name of the program you shutdown.

Once you got the name of the trouble maker, find it on your hard drive with file finder and erase it............

However, chances are good that the program has retained the name of screen.com. Look for that on your drive. Good luck!

If Norton says it is not a virus, then it probably is not; just most likely it is a nusance program.

Some friend....... (GRIN!!)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 01-05-2002).]

- Drew - 01-06-2002

Replying from my work computer cause I'm shut down at home. Went to live update and updated all the virus definitions I've missed in the last several months, learned a lesson here. After updating the Norton caught the virus but couldn't repair so I quarantined it and when I did the screen problem stopped but now I can't access any application program and I get a prompt that sez "Windows can't find SirC32.exe which is needed to access programs of the Application type." This is a worm virus of sorts. Tomorrow I'll attempt tech support to correct the problem or take the hard drive to a local pro. I wish I could get my hands on people who create these viruses...I'd #$%^@! and then %$^%#@&^%! and finally I'd !%^%$#$&($#!!

Drew