WineBoard
Looking for a career in the Wine Industry - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for a career in the Wine Industry (/thread-20586.html)

- njwine - 07-16-2006

Hello,

I'm looking to make a career change. I have an extensive sales and customer service background that involves elite products with a high end customer base (retail). I also have an extensive advertising and promotions background running an in-house ad agency for a retailer of elite products.

I do have an interest in wine and enjoy wine very much.

I'm located in the Northeast (NJ) and would prefer to remain here. What are some avenues to approach breaking into the wine industry?

Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 07-16-2006

Hi njwine, and welcome to the Wine Board. The best way to get into the wine biz even if you live in wine country is at the retail level. Get a job in a wine store. You will have a chance to learn a lot, as well as interfacing with wholesalers and perhaps even producers. Opportunities may come your way.

- njwine - 07-16-2006

[quote]Originally posted by Innkeeper:
[b] The best way to get into the wine biz even if you live in wine country is at the retail level. Get a job in a wine store. You will have a chance to learn a lot, as well as interfacing with wholesalers and perhaps even producers. Opportunities may come your way.[/b][/quote]

Innkeeper: Thank you for your speedy response. While the retail level is one of the obvious avenues to go after a career in the wine biz, I may finding myself going backwards as I have over 20 experience in the work that I described in my first post -- unless, of course, there are some upper levels in the retail wine biz that would help satisfy my current lifestyle (even if I had to take a reduction in salary to get in). I know that 20-30K couldn't pull it off.

Any further ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 07-16-2006

Remember the first reason I gave was to gain knowledge. If was going into the business right now, I would start at the retail level. You may think you know a lot about wine, but you'll be surprised on your first day.

- winoweenie - 07-16-2006

Hi NJ and add my welcome to the board. I'm not privvy to the pay in the NE or NJ but the best wholesale jobs saleries here in Az start at the level you say you can't live with. The old saw about this is " How do you make a small fortune in the wine biz? " Answer..." Start with a LARGE fortune ". Most of the big bucks made in the winery business were made from the old-timers who owned or inherited land in Napa that was originally fruit farms and converted in the late 60s' or early seventies. The rest of the big bucks has been made by take-overs by major corps. I doubt you have the knowledge required to be a national sales-manager or salesman for a major player and the smaller botique wineries don't need help. You mite inquire around the Finger Lakes region in upper New York. Good luck on your quest. WW