WineBoard
Several questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Several questions (/thread-20583.html)

- Enrique A. Quiñones-Pardo - 09-25-2003

Last night in a tasting from a winery from Penedés, Spain, the moderator made several representations that I wish you could clarify. I understand that many times the marketing and insularism contribute to some statements. Here they are.

1/ Reservas are aged four years, two in barresl and two in the bottle. I understand that is three years, two in barrels and the rest in the bottle, as minimum DOC standards.

2/ Sparkling wines are sweetened {dosage} with Port. I say that is with sugar syrup and wine.

3/ Cabernet Sauvignon was originally planted in Spain. What about France.

4/ He said that wines do not need humidity and I understand that humidity, along with the ideal temperature and darkness, among other factors, are needed for the wine to grow and be properly preserved.

5/ The best Merlot in Europe comes from Spain. Hello, what about Pomerol, like Chateau Petrus.

Thank you for your kind consideration of these topics. Really appreciate your insights.

Sincerely,

Enrique

- winoweenie - 09-25-2003

[QUOTE]Originally posted by winoweenie:
[B]Hi Enrique and welcome to the board. Can answer a few of the questions; 1) IMHO it is the winereys' that determine how long their "RESERVES" are aged. 2) Never have I heard about Port being added to a sparkling wine as a dosage like Port. 4) Humidity is important AFTER wine has been bottled to keep the cork moist. It probably plays the same role to keep the barrels joints expanded during the stint in barrel. 6) That dude would have a hard time convincing me that even GOOD Merlots are produced in Spain. Oregon and Washington would probably be able to spot the best merlot from Spain the 7,8, 9, and the break and kick patootie.
Its' a laugher comparing them to the great wines of the Pomerol as you pointed with a rigid finger. Not sure on the other two points but he's way under 50% so far. WW

- thewoodman - 09-26-2003

I'm convinced that many wine reps are either 1) stupid, 2) pathological liars or 3) both. I heard the following several months ago at an Italian tasting from a distributor.

1) Makers of super Tuscans were the first winemakers to get the idea to blend Cabernet Sauvignon with other varietals...
2) Winemakers in California add lactic acid to their white wines to make them smoother, but Italian whites get that way from just hard work...?

- Thomas - 09-26-2003

Woodman, I can't agree more. In the case of distributor companies, SALES training takes priority over WINE training, and even the sales training is woefully wanting.

Just yesterday a so-called wine salesman admitted to me that he does not drink any alcohol--he can't stand the taste! But a few minutes before that he was expounding on the smoothness and elegance of a particular product that had about as much elegance as Isabel...And one day last week, the owner of a new distributorship mentioned to me that he started drinking a glass of red wine about three months ago because he read about its health benefits. When I asked him what he drank before then--Coca Cola came the answer.

A further point, I have come across an awful lot of "wine" people from the West Coast who believe that California saved the entire universal wine industry--you can't get more egocentric than that. And I have come across many "wine" sales people on the East Coast who don't know the difference between Chardonnay and Chablis.