WineBoard
the vote tally - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: the vote tally (/thread-20560.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Thomas - 07-23-2003

Looks like we have about 16 committed. I think we should inidvidually make reservations direct with Glenora.

To your point KC, 16 people voted, and the majority agreed with the date, and now 16 people are signed up for that date. I don't see how moving it around and voting again is going to make it better--likely will only make it more impossible to pin down a date.

Also, May 28--sounds dangerously close to Memorial Day to me.

- Innkeeper - 07-23-2003

It is a weekend. Perhaps some of folks who have to work could take a vacation day. It would be possible to take a red eye out of the Left Coast on Thrusday night and still get there with the one vacation day, returning on Sunday.

- Jackie - 07-23-2003

Please add me to the list. I'd prefer a room that would accommodate me and a significant other, in case I find one between now and then ;-) !!!!!!!

Jackie

P.S. I am concerned that Bucko can't make the Bobby Darin's birthday date. As our chief moderator, I would REALLY miss him. Is there any way to accommodate Bucko????

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 07-23-2003).]

- Thomas - 07-23-2003

Gene, post Glenora's 800 number so that everyone can call in a direct reservation. This group simply won't take directions from me...

If this actually happens, I might (BIG MIGHT) try to host something on the grounds of my place which is the next lake over from Glenora. Whaddayu think, IK, you can help me do it with a cookout--I'll throw in a lot of wine.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-23-2003).]

- winedope1 - 07-23-2003

i Would also love to attend! I'll make every effort to fit in with whatever works for the majority. I'm waiting to meet everyone! WD

[This message has been edited by winedope1 (edited 07-24-2003).]

- winedope1 - 07-24-2003

called Glenora to make a reservation today. Boy is the staff nice and also efficient! I'm really looking forward to the weekend!

- Innkeeper - 07-24-2003

Even though we are ten months out folks, I hate to tell you but it is time to fish or cut bait. The reason is that Glenora gets many reservations up to a year in advance, and it is going to be a college weekend. Let’s try to fill the place up with Wine Boarders. It is great that we have so many “count me ins”, now we have to change that to “I’m (we’re) booked” such as WD posted today. Bev and I are too.

For those who can stay through Sunday (the 16th) night, there are some great advantages. You can spend two full days in wine country (it is easy to spend a week); secondly, there is a good chance that there will be a cookout/picnic at Foodie’s with moi as resident chef; and third, you get to spend another night and drink more wine with most of the gang.

If you get sticker shock when you first look at Glenora’s rates on the website, keep in mind that they are packages including breakfast and dinner each day. Our rates will be just for room. If Glenora fills up or if you would just like stay someplace else, recommend the Vinehurst Inn in Hammondsport (607-569-2300). It is comfortable, clean, and economical. We stayed there last year with our grandkids. You can still have dinner with us at Glenora, and you will have to see about your breakfast. I’m sure that both Foodie and Gene can recommend other places as necessary.

For those of you traveling by car south and east going home or coming from those points, highly recommend a stop at the Corning Glass Museum which is around 20 miles southeast of Hammondsport. I didn’t think either I or the grandkids would like it much, so we stopped for mother’s sake. We all loved it. Very, very interesting.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-25-2003).]

- glenora - 07-24-2003

As Foodie requested--Our toll free number is 800-243-5513. This number works for both the winery and inn.

Our staff is excited about this group coming to Glenora--espcially when they hear names like foodie, hotwine, glass_a_day, innkeeper, bucko, shortwiner, etc

Hotwine--Missy, our front desk manager, said you inquired about a courtesy van from NYC--a mere 250-275 mile jaunt--perhaps you can travel from the Big Apple with Foodie, or fly into Rochester or Syracuse--both about 75 miles (1 1/2 hours) or Elmira/Corning 35 miles (45 minutes)

If others have questions please let them roll

Gene

- quijote - 07-24-2003

I just called and booked for at least one (me!) and maybe two for May 14 and 15; I'm sure neither of us will be able to stay on the night of the 16th.

The price for a basic room really is very reasonable; not particularly expensive at all. There are special rooms with more features for those who would like to pay a little more. It seems like a marvellous place to stay.

Anyway, as things stand, I'm definitely in now, but my partner won't know for sure until early spring (when extracurricular duty assignments at school are confirmed).

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 07-24-2003).]

- Georgie - 07-24-2003

I just hung up with Glenora and I'm booked! Megan, the staff member, was unaware of any Modified American package for our group such as IK mentioned. I'm a little confused about that. But I've got a place to sleep...that's the main thing!

- hotwine - 07-24-2003

We're booked, and confirmation is in hand. Thanks for the suggestions, Gene. Thinking we may just fly into Syracuse, rent a car there and hit the road. Worked for Syracuse Research Corp. for a few years, but never visited their home office. Did get in to White Plains on a visit to Loral years ago, though. Beautiful country.

- glenora - 07-25-2003

At the risk of being flogged for promotional activites--these are the rates that will be in effect for the group at the time of the visit(deduct 10% for the wineboard group)--a better description is on our website-

Vintner's Guestrooms

The Vintner Guestrooms include two queen-sized beds, a private balcony or deck, Stickley furniture, an oversize bathroom, refrigerator, coffee maker, television and a complimentary bottle of Glenora wine--
$99/night

Vintners Select Guestrooms
The Vintners Select Guestrooms a king sized bed, Jacuzzi tub, cozy fireplace, a private balcony or deck, Stickley furniture, an oversize bathroom, refrigerator, coffee maker, television and a complimentary bottle of Glenora wine. $175/night

As Innkeeper mentioned in his post there are packages that include breakfast and dinner--I suggest that our group not go that route as most likely we are going to want to be flexible in those areas.

I hope this helps everyone!

Gene

- Thomas - 07-25-2003

Can't believe this is shaping up, after the few times we tried and failed.

As IK mentioned, I am considering the possibility of a picnic on my property. Since the group will have a short period of time, and a lot to do, I thought we could end the weekend--Sunday--with the picnic, figuring that most will be going home Monday AM.

As the time draws nearer, and we have an itinerary, I'll see what the possibilities are.

For those flying to NY, Rochester or Syracuse are the places to land--each will get you to Glenora by car in a little over an hour. Part of the beauty and appeal of the Finger Lakes wine region is its distance from crowded urban centers.

- joeyz6 - 07-25-2003

I am planning on booking a room soon. I am going to try to find someone to come with; however, if I can't, I was wondering if anyone might be looking for someone to share a room? The basic room with two queen size beds, divided in half and subtracting Gene's generous 10% discount, would be pretty affordable.
Email me at joeziomek@hotmail.com if you're interested.
-Joe

- winoweenie - 07-25-2003

Just made CBs' and mes' rebservatshuns. Hope there's transport from here to theres. See you guys next year. WW

- Kcwhippet - 08-02-2003

Forgot to mention before, but we're booked, too. However, we were told the $99 Gene quoted was last year's price. No big deal, though, it's still a good rate for a room.

- winoweenie - 08-02-2003

Is this years rate lower due to the sagging economy? WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img] [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- joeyz6 - 09-16-2003

Unfortunately, I recently found out that I'm not allowed to request any days off from Trio in the month of May, I suppose because there is so much business from college graduations. Bummer!

- Innkeeper - 09-16-2003

Bummer indeed!!!

- Thomas - 09-16-2003

Joeyz, quit on April 30 and re-apply on May 30...