WineBoard
Sleeper wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Sleeper wines (/thread-20506.html)

- Drew - 11-21-2000

This is an intimate board, and being so, how about some recommendations of "Sleeper" wines....you know, those wines that we all consider very good, of somewhat abundance, fairly priced, that would be great xmax gifts for our wine loving friends.

Drew

- RAD - 11-21-2000

Great idea!

One wine along those lines that I've really enjoyed is the 1997 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico. 1997 was a great Italian vintage, Volpaia is in the heart of Chianti Classico, 12500 cases made, and I've picked up a bunch for $12.49/bottle here in NYC.

RAD

- chittychattykathy - 11-22-2000

Heritage Road 1998 Reserve Shiraz, a single vineyard Aussie for around $15. Full-bodied, great cherry, pepper, & licorice aromas, with well balanced tannins. + An attractive presentation, which is nice when you're giving gifts.

- Bucko - 11-22-2000

1998 Hess Select, Cabernet Sauvignon, California, $13. Soft on the palate, with silky tannins, this light-bodied wine is loaded with red raspberry, cherry and vanilla oak flavors. Very good value.

1999 Meridian, Chardonnay, Santa Barbara, $11. Light gold with toasty oak and tropical fruit aromas. Full-bodied, with sweet pineapple and mango flavors, smoky oak nuances and a long finish. Good value for the style.

1999 Silvan Ridge, Pinot Gris, Oregon, $13, 1,750 cases. The wine leads off with lovely aromas of citrus and melon. Lush pear, peach and honeydew melon flavors entice the palate, finishing long and crisp. Good value.

1999 Kenwood, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, $11.50, 65,000 cases. Very consistent in their quality and style, this good value wine has combined citrus, tropical fruit and freshly cut grass aromas and flavors in a tasty package.

1999 Echelon, Viognier, California, $12, 5,146 cases. Made in a light, easy style, that is crisp on the palate and quite floral. Peach fruit is the main player here, with a hint of orange zest, and no oak burden to bear. Good value.

1999 Veramonte, Merlot, Maipo, Chile, $10, 45,000 cases. Black cherry and olive aromas are echoed on the palate along with black pepper and earthy notes, balanced oak, and a long, lush aftertaste. Good value.

1998 Veramonte, Carmenere, Primus, Casablanca Valley, Chile, $20. A blend of 85% Carmenere and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon. Green olive, mint, and muted black fruit aromas lead to an exotic array of flavors. Blackberry, bacon, spice, and a healthy dose of green peppercorn flavors combine to make a nicely balanced, intriguing wine. Good value. Imported by Franciscan Estates.

1998 Edmeades, Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, $16, 2,822 cases. The nose displays earthy, blackberry notes with just a hint of spice. Plum and blueberry flavors are closely followed by savory cedar, wrapping up with a long, complex finish. Very good value.

Bucko

- Drew - 11-22-2000

Since I started this, let me throw two at you.
1998 Barossa Valley Estate Shiraz, 5000 cases produced. Very dark, tight style with good fruit and balanced oak and a colorful label. $10

1997 Sonoma Creek Cabernet Sauvignon, 12,500 cases produced. Dark, rich, oaky Cab with a long finish...will impress for $12.

Drew

- winoweenie - 11-22-2000

Great Idear` there Drew-Bubba. One of my fav is the Merryvale Prof......OOOOOps! Hit wronmg key. Seriously, the 97 Guenoc North Coast at 13 bucks is a literal steal. Another super value from the 97 calif vintage is the Freestone Napa at a measly 18 clams.And last but not, is the 97 Wellington "Mohrhardt Ridge" at 15-18 potatoes. These three wines are the top 3 IMHO P/Q of the 97`s I`ve encountered. Whist I be at the keybaord, " TO EACH AND ALL A VERY HAPPY GOBBLE AND GULP'.WINOWEENIE

- Innkeeper - 11-22-2000

Will try to post something after getting through this T-giving thing. Mother says I've got to vacuum the whole place------for the kids! Anyhow, hope you all have a wonderful holiday and that all your connections be met.