WineBoard
Valentine's Day - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Valentine's Day (/thread-20505.html)

- winedope1 - 02-13-2003

hope that all celebrate happily tomorrow with their special someone, special food, and of course, a special bottle or two. Enjoy, all !! WD

- Kcwhippet - 02-14-2003

None for me until late tonight. We're driving my mother-in-law out near Buffalo, NY. Long drive and we won't get in until near 8 pm. Tomorrow's a different day, however. We'll be tasting a raft of Finger Lakes Rieslings with Foodie and Glenora at Glenora Winery. I'm bringing along a Dr. Loosen Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese as a contrast. Now that I think of it, this is something Bucko should have been attending.

- Innkeeper - 02-14-2003

Happy Valentines for you and yours from Bev and I. We plan an early dinner at the Maine Chowder and Steak House inbetween here and Belfast. We have a table overlooking the bay. They are serving a Valentines Special Stroggie for two with appetizer and dessert for $35. All drinks are $1.99. Such is winter on the Coast of Maine. Afterward youngest (and unmarried) daughter is rolling in from New Hampshire. Hopefully she will bring chocolate because the Tobin James Charisma is chilling down.

- hotwine - 02-14-2003

What a deal that restaurant's offering, IK! Nothing comparable around here.... everyone has jacked their prices at least 30%, and many a full 50%. Dunno what we'll do yet....maybe toast a steer.... but Taittinger NV is already chilling.

Cheers to all.

- Glass_A_Day - 02-14-2003

What does a lonely guy do. My fair lady is in London and poor old G_A_D is here in Mass. Good thing this is temporary. Not a fun Valentines day. I think maybe I'll enjoy one of my better bottles tonight for the both of us. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] To all of those of you that are together, Happy Valentines Day and enjoy time spent together.

- Auburnwine - 02-14-2003

A little something to cut and paste for that certain someone (or some thing) in your life.

Variations on the Word Love
- Margaret Atwood

This is a word we use to plug
holes with. It's the right size for those warm
blanks in speech, for those red heart-
shaped vacancies on the page that look nothing
like real hearts. Add lace
and you can sell
it. We insert it also in the one empty
space on the printed form
that comes with no instructions. There are whole
magazines with not much in them
but the word love, you can
rub it all over your body and you
can cook with it too. How do we know
it isn't what goes on at the cool
debaucheries of slugs under damp
pieces of cardboard? As for the weed-
seedlings nosing their tough snouts up
among the lettuces, they shout it.
Love! Love! sing the soldiers, raising
their glittering knives in salute.

Then there's the two
of us. This word
is far too short for us, it has only
four letters, too sparse
to fill those deep bare
vacuums between the stars
that press on us with their deafness.
It's not love we don't wish
to fall into, but that fear.
this word is not enough but it will
have to do. It's a single
vowel in this metallic
silence, a mouth that says
O again and again in wonder
and pain, a breath, a finger
grip on a cliffside. You can
hold on or let go.

- mrdutton - 02-14-2003

Well who could top that...........

Happy Valentine's Day!

- Bucko - 02-14-2003

Well who could top that...........

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Sugar is sweet,
And so are you.

But the roses are wilting,
The violets are dead.
The sugar bowl is empty,
And so is your head.

The Silver-tongued Devil

- Innkeeper - 02-14-2003

Well the dinner was even better than expected. There was no choice of the starter and the dessert. We HAD to have Escargot (3 each) to begin with, and Chocolate Creme Brulee in a white chocolate creme for dessert. Other than that she had a decaf coffee with Irish Creme and me a Bourbon Sour straight up, and then both a glass of zin with the stroggie. The total bill with 20% tip came to $48.68. It was a little dark to see the water, but we could see the lights of Belfast across the harbor.

- Glass_A_Day - 02-14-2003

Glad to hear you had a fine time at a reasonable price. Must have been more fun than my reheated hamburger helper!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 02-14-2003

What a dinner! And escargot, to boot! Love that stuff. Used to buy it at the French commissary at Kaiserslautern, four dozen to the can of petit gris, and cook 'em up with fresh garlic, french bread and Bordeaux for a Sunday afternoon feast, and eat 'em all at one sitting. (burp) Sounds like a wonderful dinner, IK.

- Innkeeper - 02-14-2003

fishit al offf wit a boddle of TJ charishisma . simpli wonnnnful!

- hotwine - 02-14-2003

You speak WW's lingo pretty well.

- winoweenie - 02-15-2003

Yes! , BUT his spellins' 'trocious.WW

- winoweenie - 02-16-2003

Two of my oldest and dearest friends had reservations at one of our favorite bistros called Convivo for Valentines dinner. Purchased last year by Jeffry Beeson, nationally acclained and winner of the James Beard award, his style is a perfect match for this intimate (9 tables & 8 bar seating) and classy jernt. Some of the things on his VDM that were memorable were Butternut Squash soup with Pasilla chiles and sour cream. Other appitizers weresmoked rock shrimpwith pickeled red onions and boursin cheese, on a crunchy roasted portabella mushroom, drizzled with pesto..Lobster and roasted corn tamale with sweet chile sauce, avacado salsa and pico de gallo. The tastiest main courses were Seared sea scallops with lobster cream sauce, forest mushrooms,yellow tomatoes,roasted red bell peppers, and asparagus. Cashew encrusted Hawaiian Ono with plum vinagerette, basmati pilaf, chinese long beans and radish sprouts..Pork tenderloin marinated in dark beer and soy with smoked tomatoe sauce, with rattlesnake beans with bacon and peppery broccoli..Grilled garlic studded Culotte steak with soy molasses glaze, citrus grileed asparages,and roasted garlic mashed potatoes and lastly my favorite of the evening flown-in that AM, New Zealand lamb grilled perfectly Med-rare over a bed of squash,red bell pepper,sweet hatch chilles and I had a serving of the garlic mashers. Creme Brulee with fresh strawberries and blueberries with a glass of port finished it off. As we can't take wine to Jeffs' place we had 4 bottles of Marietta old vines and CB and another lady shared a bottle of SW.We adjourned to our place where, being thirsty, we opened a 63 Fonseca I'd pulled last week. One of the ladies whose total intake was 1 glass drove the couples home and CB didn't even remember she had a broken wing.Lovely food, people, and all were ginning yesterday. WW

- Georgie - 02-16-2003

That's what life should be. Good food, good wine, good friends, good times. I enjoyed reading about your special evening!

- winoweenie - 02-16-2003

Hi Georgie and welcome to opur board. You hit the hammer with my head... It is what it all be about. Stop by often WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winedope1 - 02-17-2003

sounds like most at least had a good V day. spent mine at Cape Cod with a wonderful man and couple of special bottles, after the Jacuzzi and pool time. Nice to hear some happy news !! WW- that menu's makin me hungry!