WineBoard
Dodged a bullet - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Dodged a bullet (/thread-20500.html)

- Drew - 08-15-2004

Charley came and went with only a spit of rain, not even enough to water your garden with thank God. We were a little nervous after Isabel. Haven't received a call from my neighbor in OC yet so that's a good sign. Ik and Foodie, hope you all fare well with his left overs.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 08-15-2004

We haven't seen any significant yet, and they are forcasting scattered light showers for us. Will be trying to smoke some baby back ribs this afternoon. We did get an all day soaker with wind from the last one on Friday.

- Kcwhippet - 08-15-2004

We went sailing yesterday. Plans were to sail from Stratford, CT over to Port Jefferson, NY. We only got about halfway, and turned around - not enough wind to get over and back in one day.

- Thomas - 08-15-2004

Drew, for the first time this summer (summer, that is a joke) we will likely NOT get the rain. Finger Lakes is too inland for this particular hurricane.

Don't know, however, what my wife and mom-in-law are experiencing on their drive today from Mass to NJ.

- quijote - 08-15-2004

Greetings y'all from Florida! I just flew in this morning for a week's stay with my parents in Flagler County, just north of Daytona. From the airport in Daytona we drove through town to Sam's Club (for wine, of course), and then we headed through city streets over to Highway A1A along the coast and headed up north to Flagler County.

Hurricane Charley passed through Daytona on its way out of Florida, and though the damage isn't as bad as it could be, it's still pretty bad. Lots of powerlines down, roofs torn off of buildings, palm trees up-ended, twigs and branches scattered, storefront signs hurled into buildings, windows broken, etc., etc. The tourist area has been very hard hit--lots of motels with severe damage, souvenir shops with flooded and wind-blown interiors, and so on. Lots and lots and lots of tree debris everywhere. Fortunately, my folks were on the "gentle" side of the storm, so the worst they've seen in their neighborhood is debris all over the golf course. But closer into Daytona things are looking pretty rough, and it'll take a while to get back into a semi-normal routine.

At Sam's I picked up a Greg Norman Estates 2002 Cab/Merlot ($11), and it's quite fruity but not overoaked. Also picked up a bottle of Brancott 2003 Sauvignon Blanc and some Laura Chenel goat cheese for later in the week. I'm just glad the worst is over this time around, and I hope all those affected here can recoup and get back on track very soon.

- winoweenie - 08-16-2004

It's heartining to hear none of the members of our lil' group was harmed by this storm. Guess we can add to the benefits of wine-drinking " Hurricane Avoidence ". [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] WW

- Kcwhippet - 08-16-2004

We haven't heard from newsguy down in Clearwater yet. Charlie came in about 100 miles south of him, so I'm thinking they didn't get hit too bad up there.

- wondersofwine - 08-16-2004

I'm not sure how many inches of rain we got yesterday in Fayetteville but it was lots! The ceiling in one bathroom was leaking slightly. Will have to get that tended too.

- newsguy - 08-23-2004

sorry, folks. was on vacation for two weeks. thought i posted this here last monday, but apparently it didn't take. i appreciate everyone's concern. here's what i wrote:

i was up in D.C. area visiting family/friends and went back to FLA early, able to get on the last flight out ahead of the storm late thursday night. my wife, who typically is in school up in gainesville (north central florida) has been with me in clearwater this summer doing externships. we live right on tampa bay and were in a mandatory evacuation zone. however, her externship the past 2 week has been at pinellas county animal services (she's in between 3rd and 4th year of veterinary medical school) and felt like she had to help prepare there for the storm and was planning to ride out the storm in our apartment with our animals. i got in at 1 a.m. friday, did what i could to get the apartment hurricane ready, was packed everyone up and headed to gainesville at 6 a.m. traffic was surprisingly light as people apparently evacuated on thursday, when the roads/interstate were a parking lot. when i left clearwater, i really didn't expect to have much of an apartment to come back to. we were directly in the projected path of a cat 4 storm. it was expected that even in gainesville we might get it at up to cat 2 strength. but as u all know by now, the storm unexplicably took a hard right a few hours before it was gonna hit tampa bay area, and slammed into the port charlotte area with 145 mph+ winds. those of us in tampa bay were very lucky. those 2 hours to the south were devastated. keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

keith

- winoweenie - 08-23-2004

Good news there Keith. Hope you and the Doc are both doing well. WW

- newsguy - 08-24-2004

yes, WW, we are -- and thanks for asking. liz headed back up to gainesville again sunday afternoon. one last semester of classes, takes the national and state boards late this fall, the spring semester is more clinical rotations, and then on may 27, 2005 she really *will* be a doctor. boy, has this been a long haul, and still nearly a year to go, but the finish line actually is in sight.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 08-24-2004).]