WineBoard
Have a ball youse guys and I'll raise - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Have a ball youse guys and I'll raise (/thread-20492.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Jackie - 08-15-2005

I would love to arrange next year's WineBoard weekend here in Northern California. There is no end to the possibilities. Of course, Sonoma, Napa, Silverado Trail but also Mendocino, Livermore, Santa Cruz Mountains, etc. etc.

I have a good friend who runs a tour company -- private tours, small groups & over 40 groups -- (see Regismartin.com) as well as many other winery contacts who would be happy to have a group like us come visiting. With Jet Blue and Southwest flying to Oakland, the air fares can be quite reasonable.

Jackie

- Innkeeper - 08-16-2005

Great idea Jackie. Methinks Livermore alone would more than fill up a weekend. Then others could head north or south as they choose. How come you didn't mention Monterey?

- Kcwhippet - 08-16-2005

Livermore's a nice visit. That's where I moved from to MA, and we've visited a few times in the years since. It's a very small valley (only about 35 square miles) and it's home to more than 25 wineries, about 15 new ones since I left. Not quite the same name recognition as Napa/Sonoma but some nice wines there.

- wondersofwine - 08-16-2005

KC and I had chatted a bit about Virginia. I would be able to drive to Charlottesville. If air fare to Oakland is reasonable, how about accommodations? I was actually contemplating a trip to Monterey, San Francisco and Sonoma sometime in 2006 so maybe I can save up my money and do it as an offline but would hope we could compromise on accommodation expense to keep it under $120 per night. Also is there any chance of doing it in June? Just possibilities to consider. (Mendocino is a cool town to visit--I was there once for their Wine and Food festival and stayed in a nice bed and breakfast a few miles outside the town).
Also, Pinot on the River is a Russian River Festival (held in late October this year). That would be fun to take in although the dates might be difficult for the teachers among us. It's centered in Guerneville and although the three-day pass is expensive, the Sunday tasting is only around $50.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-16-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 08-16-2005

Jet Blue was having a sale earlier this year (should still be on..based on availability) for travel from Boston to Oakland for $79 one way. Otherwise, due to competition, other airlines rarely ever charge as much as they did before. Almost everything for me into the Oakland area is now less than $800...many less than $500.

- glenora - 08-16-2005

Weighing in on the next off line--

Why not try areas that are not high on the radar list--most eveyone has, or will make trips to CA,WA,OR. Granted there are always new wineries/experiences in those areas--but again we all, at some point, will be visiting them. (again/or in the future).

On the other hand how many plan to make a trip to VA, NC, TX, OH etc.--all up and coming wine areas.

It would seem to me that this group of "open-minded"(exception WW and his reds [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img])wine people would welcome the opportunity to experience some of the lesser known US wine regions.

As I said earlier--just weighing in--and once again--"what happened to Bucko during the last foray"?

- chittychattykathy - 08-16-2005

I like Glen's idea of going someplace unique...

My vote would be for Texas (5th largest wine producing state)-- but not in the summer, late spring maybe? Or someplace back east, midwest...

Otherwise, Northern Cali is fine, always a good time and my sis lives there. It sounds like we all know wine peeps there as well.

Kat

- wondersofwine - 08-16-2005

Bucko apparently checked into the motel on Thursday night but checked out early Friday morning before contacting any of us. Don't know if the problem was that people were arriving at different times (I didn't get to Prosser until almost 10:00 PM Thursday) and Dananne arrived Friday afternoon. I think KC's trio arrived Thursday evening also and went out for some provisions (Prosser closes down early--except for what was the name of that tavern?-- and they ended up asking at the Police Station !! where they could buy groceries). Maybe Bucko felt deserted. Or maybe he was unhappy with the accommodations (the room was fine with me except no elevator to the second floor). We still don't know why we didn't hear from you, Bucko. How about it?

- californiagirl - 08-16-2005

I'd love it to be here in No Cal!!! Much easier for me to get away. What about the El Dorado/Placerville area? It's one not frequented by usual tourists, and a beautiful area at that!!

- Kcwhippet - 08-16-2005

Interesting that Bucko has been posting on Robin's site, even during the time he was supposed to have been with us. Where are you, dude? Talk to us.

- Jackie - 08-18-2005

The Jet Blue and Southwest Air fares to Oakland are very reasonable, relatively speaking. And I should think we can find a deal on accommodations and keep it under $120/night.

For one thing, I think we'll have more participants if we get together in Northern California, where people might like to go anyway. It may enable more people to join us and then go on to an extended vacation with family or other friends. We'd have a better chance of getting a good group rate if we can get more people together.

I will also look into the cost of getting a van and driver -- or a couple of vans and drivers -- so no one need worry about transportation around the SF Bay Area. I'm sure we can also arrange winemaker dinners, etc. Should be a total blast. With a year to plan it, we can come up with a great itinerary.

Jackie

- hotwine - 08-18-2005

I'm certainly willing to try again. Sounds like a great idea, Jackie.

- californiagirl - 08-18-2005

Jackie- that sounds like a great idea. Maybe we can keep it to one area a day so we can go to as many wineries as possible. Just a quick note on the van idea- love it! My only minor problem would be that I get car sick if I'm not sitting in one of the front seats. Sorry ya'll!!