WineBoard
Our Thanksgiving wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Our Thanksgiving wines (/thread-20438.html)

- Kcwhippet - 11-24-2007

Here's the list of wines we opened for our nine guests to go with the turkey and a dozen or so sides. As usual, some drank only red and some only white.
Reds:
2002 Sea Smoke Southing
2002 Radio- Coteau Marsh Vineyard
2004 Siduri Shaw Mountain
2005 Loring Cargasacchi

White:
2002 Schloss Schonbrunn Erbacher Marcobrunn Kabinett
2004 Tin Roof Sauvignon Blanc
2005 Mietz Hopkins Ranch Sauvignon Blanc

- dananne - 11-24-2007

Anne says we're having Thanksgving at your house next year.

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2007

Your selection for guests proves that you are very generous and/or fully know that you can't take it with you!

- Kcwhippet - 11-24-2007

Dan,

You and Anne are more than welcome, if you don't mind the 25 degree weather.

IK,

I put out what I'd like to drink, and they takes their channces. So far, no one's complained. Besides, I do know I can't take it with me, so drinking it's the only option. I'm sure not going to leave it for my kids to be drinking all that good stuff after I'm gone.

- TheEngineer - 11-24-2007

It was good to see you again KC,

Here is our list. Was suppose to have been different but then people started poking around the bins (nothing wrong with that) and we ended up with

Whites

2005 V. Sattui Marsangnier
2006 Tobin James Sauvignon Blanc
2005 Domaine de la Solitude Cote De Rhone Blanc
2003 La Spinetta Moscato D'Asti
NV. Ste Michelle Sparkling wine

Reds
2002 Ladera Lone Canyon Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2005 Chevillon Bourgogne
1996 Faustino Rioja Reserve

No notes as it was more of a talking evening but some were nice, others wee okay. Nice night.

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2007

What Mike? No, TJ Zins!!!

- TheEngineer - 11-24-2007

Soon....for meeeeeeeeeeHEHEHEHE..........(Evil Laughing booming) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I actually had a fatboy standing up! ...err...that was not specifically referencing my body shape though my spouse thinks that it is very appropriate!

- dananne - 11-24-2007

Anne has given it some thought, and she's hoping Thanksgiving dinner will be served indoors [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

As for our Thanksgiving wines, at various times we had open the following:

2005 Saintsbury Carneros Chardonnay
2005 Harvest Moon RRV Pinot Noir
2003 Hip Chicks Do Wine Wetherell Vineyards Umpqua Valley Syrah (Oregon)
2002 Russian Hill Windsor Oaks Summit RRV Syrah
2004 Dobbes Family Estate Rogue Valley Late Harvest Viognier

I'll post a detailed note on the Harvest Moon Pinot, which was wonderfully interesting and deserves some consideration. As for the rest, no real notes. All were fine and did their jobs well enough, but we weren't really paying too much attention.

- wondersofwine - 11-27-2007

I took four wines to our church Thanksgiving dinner following the noon service. I held back the Gobelsburg Riesling (Austria) to see if the other white wine was finished and it wasn't quite, so I took the Austrian wine home. We had Domaine Schlumberger (sp?) Gewuztraminer Fleur from Alsace--quite spicy and a big hit with the white wine drinkers. I put out the Banfi Rosa Regale (semisweet sparkling rose') with the Droste pastille chocolates (half milk chocolate/half bittersweet chocolate) and the diners got the idea and tried the sparkler with the chocolates. I had a little of the Gewurz but mainly drank from the Domaine Serene Yamhill Cuvee Pinot Noir (Oregon.) I enjoyed it but think it would have been better in crystal wine glasses rather than the paper cups. I didn't want to risk my good wine glasses having had two broken at church events in the past (one my fault when I let the glasses clink together on the way into the church and one by a young lad who used my good crystal for his orange juice.)
The meal was terrific--about 40-50 people present. Three turkeys, a ham, sweet potato dishes (I took one topped with a dried apricot/crushed pineapple syrup), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, a salad with cranberries, nuts, celery and other fruits, corn pudding, cake, pumpkin and sweet potato pies, etc. There were enough leftovers that I took home some turkey and ham and portions of two side dishes along with the leftover sweet potato dish.