WineBoard
Profile - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Profile (/thread-20427.html)

- Innkeeper - 06-14-2000

Based of previous thoughts, and exasperated by the current brouhaha over on The Novice, recommend expanding the Profile to include a large optional block entitled "Background." Here any member could list such things as real name, address, telephone number, and things they've done in the past or are doing in present that enhanced their knowledge of our favorite subject.

- winecollector - 06-16-2000

On the surface it don't sound like a bad idea. Adding info on our own personal wine history or experience in the business is fine. However, one problem I see though, is if you have someone new that comes on the site and wants to cause trouble. I certainly would not want a person like that knowing my real name, address, and telephone number! Personally, I'd much rather do that privately via e-mail at my own discression, than to post that kind of info for the hole world to see. Too many nut balls out there for me!

And by the way- My real name is Willie Gluckstern, the Riesling God! Any nut balls out there can reach me through Innkeeper!

<Sorry Innkeeper, I just could't help myself! The keyboard just kinda started typing all by itself!>

- winecollector - 06-16-2000

Seriously though, those of you that have corresponded with me or ran into me at wine functions know my real identity. I prefer not to be in the spotlight, or in the public eye. I even prefer to keep my profession anomymous. Several years back (in my younger days), I had some bad experiences where I was taken advantage of, and I now chose to be very cautious about how much I let people know about myself, no offense intended.

- chittychattykathy - 06-16-2000

Winecollector, You've intrigued me with your title of "the Riesling God" .
I am a fan of all things Rieling myself! I am curious if you have enjoyed any of the Rieslings from Jean-Marie Haag, and if so your thoughts on them. Also any "Hot" Riesling finds that you've croosed lately. Please do share!
I agree about giving out too much info, sad situation as I would like to get to know folks from this board better, so many people on here with such a wealth of knowledge!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 06-17-2000

Just a thought. Jerry had everyone of the kids, at their discretion, write a brief synopsis of their-selves, preferences, occupations, and as you all know used our names. I agree that phone #`s and addresses are a personal thing and I only give them to people I`ve met eye-ball to e-b. E-mail adresses can be controlled. If you get plonk E`s from someone you don`t care to correspond or communicate with , let the suckers know. If it dosen`t cease, inform our moderators and have them barred. Did you see we have the venerable Mr. Wallace back with us? Hope-fully, he`ll give all a run-down on Jerry`s celebration that he spear-headed. Winoweenie

- winecollector - 06-17-2000

Chittychattykathy- One of the things you really need to know about me, is not to take me too seriously at times! The Riesling & Willie Gluckstern comment was only made to have some fun with Innkeeper, based on previous posts. I forget where the original posting was, but someone (possibly Dogwalker?) posted a couple of quotes from Willie Gluckstern, author of The Wine Avenger, that I thought were a little to "pompus" for a self proclaimed wine expert to make regarding Riesling, or any other wine for that matter. Though I do drink Riesling at times, I usually only open them up when a particular meal calls for it.

The best one I've tasted is one that I think Hotwine recommended a while back. It's a Schmidt Sohne Ruwer Q.B.A. I've had it a couple of times. I'm still partial to Gruner Veltliner and properly aged Sauvignon Blanc. I posted somewhere a topic about trying different wines with the same dish to see how the wines compliment the meal, and I listed my favorites so far under that posting if you want to check it out. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm really not "The Riesling God!" I'm about as close to being the Riesling God as Winoweenie is!

I will try some of the Jean-Marie Haag Rieslings that you speak about first chance I get. If you really enjoy Rieslings, I recommend you try some wines from a hybrid grape called "seyval blanc." I was suprised to find how similar they can taste. I need to try some more of them myself, as I have not decided yet if I like the seyval blanc better than riesling.

Well, if I really were Willie Gluckstern, I'd say to go buy more of my books and help make me rich! That about sums up my opinion of him. Oh, and don't forget.... when ol' Willie starts importing his own Rieslings, go out and buy as many cases of them as you can afford. With the way he's been promoting Riesling as the best wine out there, it's likely to be very popular, no matter what it tastes like!

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 06-17-2000).]

- Wallace - 06-18-2000

O.K. you asked. The Celebration of Life party for Jerry was a huge success. The setting was on a tree covered hill over looking vineyards of the Alexander Valley on a warm spring day with a perfect breeze.
There were around twenty picnic tables, a huge bbq pit with a spit, tables for food and lots of wine. George Bursick (Ferrari-Carano Winery) and Mike Martini (L. Martini Winery) loaned the party a fantastic PA system and the Valley rocked with the blues.
Evidently those guys have a kick-ass Rock and Roll band that we'll have to get for next years Bobby Darin party. (For those who are not all that well acquainted with the Curmudgeon his birthday fell on the same day as Bobby Darin's and for 20 or more years we celebrated an annual Bobby Darin party at one restaurant or another. Jerry died about two weeks before his sixty first birthday this year but we still have a tradition to keep up starting next April.)

Anyway, a couple hundred people showed up and each and every one brought really good wine to drink plus many, many wineries sent cases of wine, some for auction and some for drinking. There were even people there who were dead set on making sure there were no wines left over. They're probably still up on the hill.

Numerous members of the wine press were in attendance and a couple reporters from the Santa Rosa Press Democrat were there. The PD reporters quoted Dan Berger as saying Jerry deserved the name "Curmudgeon" and probably was the only writer who could capture the "outrageous politics" of the wine industry.

Jerry's passing left a very large void with many friends whom he mentored and a very large and unpaid hospital bill, I mean he couldn't even get insurance when he was healthy, so we attempted to auction magnums, double magnums, old vintages dating all the way back to the fifties (from Dr. Peterson's and Louis Martini's personal cellars and many others) all donated by attendees to help offset some of those costs, but we ran out of time. Hard to tend to business and party as hardy as we were.

I would guess half the wines that showed up for that event are still left to be auctioned. For those of you who know him, Iggywine is in charge of that and will communicate times and wines after he gets settled into his new YOB.

Craig Goldwyn was there taking pictures and soon afterwards sent this note: I took some pictures at the Jerry Mead Celebration of Life, and I have posted them at http://spinography.com/mead/index.htm. You did a nice thing Jim.

Now, another thing. Jerry had a personal wine cellar that his lady will probably make available in the very near future. If any of you would like a list of those wines and would be interested in assisting her financially you need to send a note to me expressing your interest. In a way this presents a small problem in that many lawmakers and wholesalers around the country felt Jerry was the anti-christ and they continue to stifle efforts to trade and ship wines, so if you are interested, and were not one of Jerry's kids I can't help you.

For those interested I have a few fotos I took as well.

- chittychattykathy - 06-18-2000

Kinda figured that you were not a true "Riesling God", which is for the best, I think. Thanks for the info on the Seyval Blanc, I will ask for some this week. The "Brief Synopsis" idea sounds great!

- winoweenie - 06-19-2000

Thanks Jim, Winoweenie.