WineBoard
I know we tried this afore--and failed - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: I know we tried this afore--and failed (/thread-20359.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Kcwhippet - 07-08-2003

If you're counting, Foodie, make mine:

1) Napa/Sonoma

- hotwine - 07-08-2003

Change my vote to
1. Napa/Sonoma
2. Seattle
3. Denver

- Bucko - 07-08-2003

My vote change is:

1) Napa/Sonoma
2) Helotes
3) Denver

- Tyrrell - 07-08-2003

I suspect I'll get precious little support for centrally located Minneapolis will I? (Especially in the ugly time of the year that early May typically is in my neck of the woods.)

- Thomas - 07-08-2003

Listen, you are going to get my ornery side up if you play change-the-vote games. It is difficult enough already to compile the list, since some people have not given more than one choice.

Maybe Roberto has the right idea: let's move this to a forum dedicated to the vote; then, everyone MUST list 3 choices--a first, second and third; then, I will compile the results.

Of the choices, CA/Napa/Sonoma; Denver, St Louis, KC, Seattle--and if someone has one real city to add--not a joke entry--please add it.

- Bucko - 07-08-2003

Helotes is a real city....... home of the Hotwine Hotdog.

- hotwine - 07-08-2003

You're the first I've ever seen call it a "city". More like a township of 5,000 souls who are trying like mad to stay out of San Antonio's greedy grasp. Leading businesses are Floor's Country Store (dance hall and saloon), Helotes General Store (barbecue), Helotes Feed Store and El Chaparral Mexican restaurant. Most residents either commute to S.A. or are retired.... not much of a job market here. But we do know how to party, and I can trailer my larger barbecue pit anywhere within 100 miles or so. Even so, the wine venue is sorely lacking.... nearest winery is in Fredericksburg, about 1.5 hours north, and the nearest one worth visiting is near Llano, at least another hour further north. Napa/Sonoma is a whoooooooole lot better choice.

- Thomas - 07-08-2003

I thought Helote was the material that fuels blimps...

Sorry, Helotes!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-08-2003).]

- hotwine - 07-08-2003

We do have a few of those around here, rollin' around on two legs. Fortunately, I'm not one of 'em.

FWIW, Helotes is taken from the Spanish word for corn (jelote, I think it is). The Spaniards found this little valley full of the stuff in the 18th century, grown by the local Apache.

- Botafogo - 07-08-2003

I wasn't kidding about Vancouver, it really is CHEAP full of great food and gorgeous!

- Jackie - 07-08-2003

After a lot of clicking, I finally found out that May 14th is actually Bobby Darin's ... and Jerry's birthday.

May 14th, 2004 is a Friday. I suppose we could celebrate Friday or Saturday.

At Jerry's memorial celebration in Napa in 2000 -- overlooking a vineyard -- a hundred or so of us celebrated his life with an auction (Jerry's wine cellar) and lots of rock 'n rock classics. It was so much fun. Many of our members were there. Dan Berger spoke and many others too.

Someone (who I can't recall) made a video of the event. I would love to get a copy and put it online for anyone interested in seeing it...

Jackie

- Jackie - 07-08-2003

Moderators & Members -- how do you want to handle this? We can continue to discuss this here under "Talk to Your Moderators".

Or we COULD move our discussion to the "Wine Events & Festivals" Forum. I could change the intro sub-text to mention our event on the main page.

Or we could open a completely new forum just for this event and call it something like "WINEBOARD SPECIAL EVENT" or whatever you think is a good name. We can also write a little sub-text to explain the purpose of the forum. It can be deleted after the event. If we make a new forum, where should it fit on the main list of forums?????

The more visible, the more people likely to participate. Of course, that also makes it a bit more challenging to organize. (I have a good person I can put on the job on this end.)

Jackie

- Thomas - 07-08-2003

Well, Jackie, based on the way it is going, I welcome a good person on the job of organizing this relatively rag-tag group.

I certainly like the date--it fits well with the concept, and I do think it might be best to put up a special forum for the event.

We should list the cities we have talked about and then ask people to vote for them: 1st,2nd and 3rd choice. Then, we compile and establish the place by consensus, a city with the most votes (counting its 1, 2 and 3 position) should be the selected place.

How we go about organizing the hotel and the rest of the venue, well, that is a job in itself!

- glenora - 07-09-2003

At the risk of being sent to the Adv and Promo board--

I would be pleased to offer the facilities at Glenora and the Inn at Glenora for a meeting of the group. We (Glenora) could arrange wine tours, tastings, winemakers dinners, etc. AND an additional benefit is that we are located in Foodie's old stomping grounds--Finger Lakes Wine Country--everyone could get the real scoop on his winemaking adventures!!

- Thomas - 07-09-2003

I thought the record of my work was removed from the files...

- ShortWiner - 07-09-2003

That's a wonderful offer--I change my vote!

- Georgie - 07-09-2003

I selfishly love that location...What a wonderful offer and opportunity for us!

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 07-09-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 07-09-2003

How could I have forgotten! The Finger Lakes is actually a neat place to visit (as long as it's not the dead of winter and Keuka Lake isn't frozen over). On the plus side, there are some really good wines there and it's a place most, if not all, of the left coasters have never been. Besides all that, Gene (Glenora) is a really great guy. We visited there a few months ago and bought a bunch of his wines for the cellar. I'd go for that!

- Glass_A_Day - 07-09-2003

Look at my location and guess why I say "great idea". [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- tandkvd - 07-09-2003

Finaly a location I could talk my wife into. I vote for Finger Lakes.