WineBoard
Away until July 6th - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Away until July 6th (/thread-20226.html)

- wondersofwine - 06-27-2006

I'm just starting to get organized to move from a three-bedroom apartment into a two-bedroom condo (sometime in August). Need to go through closets and pantry and weed out things to sell or give away or throw (I need CLEAN SWEEP!) So it won't be a fun vacation but I may play hooky from work one day and enjoy an outing to a wine bar and/or restaurant in Raleigh or Chapel Hill or an excursion to Pinehurst.
Went with my boss to "Fame" at the local theater (Cape Fear Regional Theater)Sunday. Really enjoyed the choreography and some of the voices. Next year they will be producing "Porgy and Bess" but at Seabrook Auditorium at Fayetteville State University rather than at Cape Fear Regional Theater. Looking forwarding to that one. They ought to get Fantasia (a North Carolinian of "American Idol" fame) to sing "Summertime." She blew me away on the tv show with that number.

- winoweenie - 06-27-2006

Hate to say it WOW but I REALLY done' want to be a mouse in your closet. Don't work too hard...Drink some good juice and post often. XX&OOOs'. WW

- brappy - 06-27-2006

Well, if that new place has you down-sizing the cellar........ [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 06-27-2006

You'll love condo living. It gives you a totally different perspective on how much you need to own...and everytime you pick up something to buy, you really do think about where you are going to put it ..or what you have toremove to put this in there.
Good luck and have fun!

- wondersofwine - 07-06-2006

Actually, I won't be downsizing the cellar but will be purchasing a proper unit to store the wines--probably a Eurocave Comfort 260 model. That will help get rid of the boxes taking over my hallways and guest bedroom.

- hotwine - 07-06-2006

You'll enjoy the EuroCave 260. We have the 260 1-Temp with "extreme" option and all sliding redwood shelves.... those extras added to the cost, but we've been very pleased with the unit. Since ours is in the garage, we didn't want the smoked glass front. (You wouldn't need the "extreme" option if you site it in the house.) But you need to know that adding sliding shelves can reduce the capacity substantially.... ours tops out at only 165 Bordeaux-sized bottles. Also, you'll need at least a couple of spare plug-in filters, which need to be changed at least every six months.

- wondersofwine - 07-07-2006

Hey, thanks HW for the advice, especially about the filters. Sliding shelves would be nice--will have to give that some thought before I order the unit.

- hotwine - 07-07-2006

A few more thoughts on the 260 - Cramming as many sliding redwood shelves as possible into the 260, you get 14. But the top shelf is limited to six bottles by the cooling unit (might only be the "extreme" model), and a shelf below certerline is fixed vs sliding.... that provides lateral stability to the side walls. In addition, there's a wire basket on the bottom. Both the basket and the very top shelf are best suited to Champagne bottles, since they have the requisite height for such bottles but not the depth to accommodate more than six bottles.

A sliding shelf accommodates only a single case. So you can get 12 fully useable shelves at 12 btls per, plus six at the top and another six at the bottom. (The fixed centerline shelf is useless, except perhaps for splits.) That's only 156, plus a few splits stashed here and there.

The "260" designation really only pertains to the unit that has simple stationary wire shelves, on which it may be possible to stack up to two cases per shelf. I like the sliding shelves, but you definitely lose capacity in that configuration.

Also - beware of cracked/split/broken redwood shelves. I had to return four, and the replacements arrived directly from France in a cardboard box without any packing material whatsoever... they were literally rattling around in the carton.

Assume you're using Wine Enthusiast as the vendor. They've been pretty good for customer service in my experence.