WineBoard
gulf coast...incognito... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: gulf coast...incognito... (/thread-20177.html)

- travelin - 10-17-2001

cpurvis here, vacationing on the Gulf Coast w/ a long, boring story about inaccessible email & WineBoard password. Thus the newbie masquerade...will spare the details...here's my question:

Any of you have favorite restaurants in the Destin / Ft. Walton Beach area?

Thanks in advance. Will post on anything of consequence after returning to the e-homestead.

cp

- winoweenie - 10-18-2001

Looks to me like a devious plot to double up on the posts and catch IK. WW

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2001

If you happen to be exploring the countryside one day, highly recommend Richardson's Pit Bar-B-Que in Iron City, GA. It is on Rt 84 in between Dothan, AL and Bainbridge, GA.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-18-2001).]

- Drew - 10-18-2001

This is a very nice restaurant overlooking the Santa Rosa Harbor in Destin with a great menu and wine list...expensive.

Marina Cafe
404 Highway 98 East
Destin, FL 32541
850-837-7960

Also next door and very nice with a good wine list is the:
Flamingo Cafe
414 Highway 98 East
Destin, FL 32541
850-837-0961 Moderate to expensive

If you like the best fried oysters anywhere on earth go to this locals restaurant where the best wine is Corbet Canyon...(don't go for the wine) It's on Rt. 20 outside of Fort Walton Beach.

Nicometo Seafood & Steak Restaurant
1027 John Sims Parkway East
Niceville, FL 32578
850-678-5072

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 10-18-2001).]

- hotwine - 10-18-2001

CP, Drew had also commented favorably back in Feb this year about the Flamingo Cafe in Destin, that overlooks Destin Harbor: "Beautiful restaurant, with a nice, and reasonably priced, wine list." He had the '96 Gallo Frei Ranch Zin there for $31.

(Jackie, the search function now works great!)

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2001

Didn't we have a lot of site activity earlier this year or last with a lady who was setting up a wine bar in that neck of the woods?

- travelin - 10-18-2001

Thanks for the recs. Made notes to file on Iron City bbq & other options. But soon as I read Drew's "best fried oysters anywhere" comment I knew where to go.

Nicometo Seafood & Steak Restaurant was a great local joint...oysters lived up to the billing, fried shrimp was great & hush puppies were excellent. Avoided the wine as instructed: Inglenook is the house pour & Corbet was indeed on the list. Stuck with iced tea. Key lime pie dessert was good too.

cp

- Drew - 10-19-2001

CP, glad you enjoyed the oysters. Nicometo's is a place that really borders on a "hole in the wall"! and those oysters...I don't know how they do it. Perfectly fried on the outside and steamy just poached consistancy on the inside, large and succulent...I'm drooling right now. I've spent considerable time in that area and have noticed that it's just not a wine town. Sams Club down the road from Nicometo's has a decent changing selection if you're a member, CP. You should drive across the midbay bridge and visit Destin, Sandestin etc. and that length of sandbar. Very beautiful.

Drew

- travelin - 10-20-2001

Drew, we made it across to the sugar sand strip a couple days ago...Destin & on to Seaside...gorgeous beaches & a great day, but w/ 4 small children in tow, not a wine day. My brother is stationed here, so hopefully we'll make it back before he moves. At least he now knows where to look for wine!

cp