WineBoard
BIRTHDAY!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: BIRTHDAY!! (/thread-20163.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Drew - 05-07-2001

Friday, May 11, is my 50th BIRTHDAY! I have some special wines saved for the day but given available wines, and a sympathetic wine storeowner, WHAT current available wine would you purchase to celebrate?

Drew

- Bucko - 05-07-2001

Welcome to the crowd, ya danged ol' GEEZER. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Available? Hell, anything is AVAILABLE. How much damage are you looking at?

Bucko

- Drew - 05-08-2001

There's no damage alert.....skys the limit.

Drew

- winoweenie - 05-08-2001

O.K you old gas emission, Buy, IMHO, one of the stars of the 97 vintage the Phelps Insignia. A 5-Lapper. WW (Todays' my child brides BD)

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 05-08-2001).]

- hotwine - 05-08-2001

Welcome to geezerhood, Drew! We are a fun-lovin' (cough) bunch of old goats (wheeze). (Now where the hell is my basket of pills?)

- IrishMum - 05-08-2001

50 is still young! (enough) hahaha

Have a wonderful Birthday, and DRINK UP! I hope you find the PERFECT bottle! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

IrishMum

Also, Happy Birthday to the child bride, Mrs. Weenie!

- Bucko - 05-08-2001

Buy yourself a 1948 or 1955 Vintage Port from Fonseca or Taylor and pretend it was your birth year. Light up a nice Partagas, sit out on the deck with the Port, and reflect on life.........

Bucko

- mrdutton - 05-08-2001

Happy Birthday. You are on your way to becoming a Senior Citzen. Has AARP contacted you? They will, trust me!

Drew, I did that a while ago (50). It is not as bad as everyone might want you to think.

The Phelps Insignia sounds like a wonderful suggestion to me.

WW - birthday wishes to your Child Bride!

Today was our pet's 4th Birthday: Buddy the Beagle. We are serving him a special meal for this occasion.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-08-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 05-08-2001

Gee, just got back from kid cousin's 50th down on Long Island. What's the big deal? Hope you have a great one Drew.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-08-2001).]

- Drew - 05-08-2001

Here's two wines I've chosen so far....

1993 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages
1995 Beringer Napa Valley Private Reserve Cab.

Drew

- winoweenie - 05-08-2001

both dy-no-mite bottles. Just got home with CB and she had a wonderful lunch of sauteed Tilapia in wine, garlic, and butter over a bed of jasmine rice, with a couple of glasses of Lewis 97 Chardonnay, whilst ole WW had a marvelous lunch of Sand Dabs, Sauteed in garlic, butter and sauternes with pan-fried sliced potatoes with thick bacon, pimentoes, and onions with fresh green beans and paired with a terrific Lewis 95 Cabernet Reserve. Dined in Scottsdale at Remingtons' one of our favorites in the east valley. Wish you were in the valley Drew-boogs, We could probably have gotten arrested. WW

- Drew - 05-08-2001

Sand Dabs?

Drew

- Bucko - 05-09-2001

They are terrific. I've had them in San Diego and San Francisco fish houses.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 05-09-2001

A westerly coast lil' fishie that, when properly prepared is delish. They're 80% bones and 20-fillets, but what a 20%! WW I'll send my regards early as I'm off again for 8-10. Going to Laughlin, Lake Havasu City ( London Bridge Town ) and down the mighty Colo River to Yuma. Don't let the wolf-pack savage me too badly in my absence. Taking some stuff to keep from dying of thirst in the desert. TA TA! WW

- hotwine - 05-11-2001

Happy birthday to Drew!
Happy birthday to Drew!
Happy birthday to Droooooo - skeeeeeee.....
Happy birthday to Drew!
(cough, wheeze!)

- cpurvis - 05-11-2001

Happy Birthday Drew-sleuth. Don't let age slow your wine-detective instincts [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] cp

- ddf68 - 05-11-2001

Happy Birthday, Drew. I second the '97 Insignia recommendation.

ddf

- Drew - 05-12-2001

WHEEEEEEEEEWHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
What a great day! Started off by playing a round of golf with my son and brother-in-law, beautiful 90-degree day with 30% humidity. The golf was great, as was the beer girl, (ahem!). Next at 1900 hours we descended on the Country Club of Maryland for dinner with Wife, Mom, Dad, Sis, Bro-in-law, Son and Wife and proceeded to pop the following wines and eat in "mass quantities".

1993 Chateau St. Jean "Cinq Cepages"
I've always loved the color of this wine, bright, regal, dark purple/ruby, not quite opaque. Nose of cedar, mocha, black currant. Flavors of mature plum, cedar and chocolate on the long tannic finish. This wine could go at least another 5-10. I like this better than the '95 Cinq.

1995 Beringer Private Reserve Cab
Opaque black purple with ruby nuances and muted nose, (didn't get a chance to decant properly). As we sipped, the nose opened to reveal layers of plum, blackberry, currant, molasses, vanilla and a little cedar. Flavors that hit and run like watching a segmented movie. Wham, plum...Wham, vanilla...Wham, anise...Wham, coffee, and a little "zing" on the tip of the tongue on the start. Great wine, my daughter-in-laws fav but still very tannic. This wine was too young and greater than I will have to estimate the years in front of it.

1996 J.Lohr "Hilltop Vineyard" Cab
Slightly cloudy, dark, purple/ruby which lightens at the rim. Did someone say brown sugar? The scent jumped from the glass with plum, sweet vanilla, blackberries and BROWN SUGAR. Not as intense at the Beringer but seamless and balanced with a long finish...my favorite of the evening paired with a perfect, tender, very flavorful, CHECK THIS OUT HOTWINE, Free Range New York strip Med. rare with crispy buttermilk onions. Finished the evening with a Cifuentes cigar on the deck at home on a star filled, 70-degree Maryland night. Happy, happy, happyyyy.....zzzzzzzzz.

Drew

- hotwine - 05-12-2001

Yeeeoooooowwwwww!!! What a day!! Congratulations, Drew! And you kept your wits about you in coming up with some great TN's, too! The steak, the wines, the golf and the company all sounded delightful. That's a mighty nice day indeed! Attawaytogo!

- Bucko - 05-12-2001

Only thing missing was ME!

Bucko