WineBoard
Snuck back on this morn. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Snuck back on this morn. (/thread-20142.html)

- winoweenie - 12-24-2000

Our house guests decided to stay with her sister last nite sos` I gots to the computer this morning. All`s gone well. Had 22 here at the house Thurs nite for Turkey and a ham from MrD`s area and all the other stuff. Forgot how well I taught my Kids to apprecciate wine. Totaled 20 bottles, mostly my old zins and rhones. Haven`t entered the damage yet but looks considerable.My last 2 79 Vieux Telegraphs,3 bottles of 78 Ch Beaucastel,plus sundry other things I can`t see.A great time was had by all. I`ll again take this Opportunity to wish one and all the SWINGINEST OF HOLIDAYS11 winoweenie

- Bucko - 12-24-2000

Wow, with that big of a crowd, I could have snuck in, sucked down your old Rhones and been off like a thief in the night..... (making note to myself for 2001)

Bucko

- Drew - 12-24-2000

Happy Holidays to you also, WW, you only got yourself to blame for teachin the chillins about wine.......but you wouldn't have it any other way, would ya?

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-24-2000

That was quite a crowd WW. We only had our 15. Destroyed a 12 lb goose killed on Thursday, stuffed with mashed potato stuffing. Also had wild rice and mushroom stuffing, braised red cabbage, green beans almondine, tropical fruit salad, apple pie, and Christmas cookie. We pour the fat out of the goose, and baste it with red wine or Port duning the last hour. Results in a terrific gravy base. Washed it all down the Bera Asti from Roberto's. The gang remarked that it was better than the "usual" stuff, and it was.

- Thomas - 12-24-2000

After two intense weeks of six twelve-hour days each week I want only to be alone. So, my wife and I are spending the holiday in seclusion on Keuka Lake. We have lots of wine, lots of snow and lots of blankets. We Italo-Americans celebrate Christmas Eve with a large portion of fishes--for me, it is a great big chowder with every sea creature I could locate plus a lot of hot pepper. The wine? Whaddayudink?

- Bucko - 12-24-2000

A big, buttery 100% MLF, smoky oak Chardonnay??? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bucko

- winoweenie - 12-25-2000

Silly Buckster! A SW? Never. . . This screams for a 10-year-old Ridge Geyserville. WW Rest up Foodie, you have your first Newm-Yars Eve in Store comin` up. Merry and Happy.

- Scoop - 12-25-2000

Happy Merry all, and enjoy the peace and arctic conditions on Keuka, Foodie!

As for the spicy fish chowder, Foodie, did you bring the Seelaks NZ Sauv Blanc with you (check out my post under Sauv Blanc -- it's a winner)?

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 12-25-2000

Scoop, I did bring a Selaks with me but I gave it to my neighbor as a gift. My chowder calls for red wine--Primitivo, Zinfandel and that lot, and that is what i had; one of each!

Oh yes, it is arctic on Keuka--2 degrees F. this afternoon.

- Botafogo - 12-25-2000

Assuming you managed to get some mussels and oysters and maybe (smoked?) salmon into that pot, why not try a truly great Pinot Noir based Rose Champagne thus killing two birds with one stone: it's (almost!) red wine and it's cold.

Happy Holidays to all (from work, I live to serve, we close at 5), Roberto

- Scoop - 12-25-2000

On the same line, what about that Hardy's sparkling Shiraz you're stocking, Foodie. Maybe you'll have some leftover chowder with which to experiment!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Innkeeper - 12-26-2000

Well, with the kids and gradkids gone home for their own Christmases, Mother and I settled down to a quiet Christmas of New England roast chicken and bubbly. What's a New England roast chicken? Very easy. Put a sprig of rosemary in the chicken's cavity along with one each chopped onion and apple that have been tossed together. Skewer it up, and roast at 350 degrees. Pour a fresh 1/4 cup of cider over it every 15 minutes for the first 45 minutes. Then baste with pan juices every 15 minutes. After the last basting (your best guess) sprinkle a teaspoon of mortered dry rosemary on top. Remove when internal temp reaches 165 degrees to a warm platter. Scrape pan drippings into small sauce pan and reduce to a blackish red syrup to pour over sliced chicken. Washed it down with Roederer Estate, Anderson Valley, Brut Rose'.

- chittychattykathy - 12-27-2000

Yum!

- winoweenie - 12-27-2000

Quit it IK Dernnit! I salivated all over my keyboard AND mouse. WW