WineBoard
Thoughts on Sherry? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on Sherry? (/thread-20081.html)

- Auburnwine - 01-09-2003

From the drum I have often beaten, you may have noticed that I am a fool for Aussie ports and muscats. They are often brilliant, rich and complex -- and under-priced.

I know nothing about Sherry. Where should I start?

- ShortWiner - 01-09-2003

If you like Port, you're going to like the darker, richer kinds of Sherry--the Olorosos and Amontillados, and maybe the heavy and sweet cream Sherries. My choice for everyday drinking is Antonio Barbadillo Dry Oloroso. Cheap ($8) and delicious. The Lustau Oloroso is similar and a little better (~$17). These are pretty widely available brands, I believe, though Oloroso is generally harder to find than lighter styles like Fino and Manzanilla. And in the US you'll find more sweet varieties than dry. Many of those sweet ones are dumbed down versions of Sherry. It should be complex and irresistable!

I do suggest that you read up on 'em a little. I think they're fascinating.

- zenda2 - 01-09-2003

Let me recommend Wisdom & Warter Extra Amontillado Sherry, a great bargain if you can find it on your shelf.
Note - Amontillado should not be sweet like port. As one taster said "It shows a great depth of warm, dry flavour, and a hint of sweetness." If you're looking for flavour, give this one a try. I really prefer the deep, nutty taste of Amontillado to the drier Fino or the sweeter Oloroso.

Color reminds me of Irish whiskey, dark amber. Nose also reminds me of Irish (they use old sherry barrels to age my favorite irish) it tells of almonds, spice, orange peel, sunshine. Made in the traditional Solera method.

- ShortWiner - 01-10-2003

Zenda, Oloroso doesn't have to be sweet! Your Amontillado sounds right up my alley. Suggest you give the Barbadillo or Lustau dry Olorosos a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- zenda2 - 01-10-2003

"Oloroso doesn't have to be sweet!"

That's true, the one's I've had were sweeter and that threw me, but of course you're right. I like the various Lustau bottles I've had, but I just can't beat the Wisdom and Warter Amontillado for the $$$.

- Auburnwine - 01-11-2003

Thank you for your suggestions. I shall look forward to researching this matter fully. Should be fun!

- Glass_A_Day - 01-11-2003

I've been curious as well. I usually have port with desert, but never got into sherry for some reason. Maybe it's time to start....

- Innkeeper - 01-11-2003

Sweet Sherry and other white dessert wines are fine for dessert so long as chocolate is not involved. Then you must go red as with Port, Banyuls, or any from the growing selection of Late Harvest Reds coming from many California wineries. The later you don't usually see on the open market, but you find them in the wineries themselves or in club shipments. Tobin James usually includes one in each of their twice a year shipments, and we have enjoyed all they've sent.

- Thomas - 01-11-2003

Hidalgo is one of my favorite sherry producers--good quality at great prices.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-11-2003).]

- stevebody - 01-13-2003

One of the most interesting things in the entire wine world, I think, is the Lustau Almencista program. This is a ssytem Lustau set up to find tiny, independent producers of sherry - sometimes just one guy working in his basement - and to bottle these under their label. They will occasionally blend several lots of these to get a certain flavor/sugar profile but they also bottle some from a single producer. The result is some highly individual, different wines that show more rusticity than the larger houses, or even Lustau's own cellars, like to distribute. I presume that this is sherry the way people in Seville know it: exciting, unprissy, and explosive. Their Don PX bottling is syrupy, light and a veritable sweet shop of flavors. The others are just as good. I love the Hidalgos for their polish and charm but those Lustaus...something really loving abouyt the whole idea. And, they're either dirt cheap or very reasonable!