WineBoard
help! what do u want to see in a newspaper's wine coverage? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: help! what do u want to see in a newspaper's wine coverage? (/thread-20075.html)

- newsguy - 03-03-2004

well, at my urging, it appears the newspaper i work for is going expand its wine coverage to a half-page every week in our food section. our food critic, who also has written a book on wine, will typically write the lead story/column each week, and will do a tasting note on his wine of the week. we will also include a listing of upcoming tastings and wine related events. and we're also looking for one more feature.

this is where i come in. hearing what we're already planning, what do you think this space should include? the editor in charge mentioned wine news. i think a little bit of wine "news" only takes you so far, especially when you're talking about the type of wide readership you have with a paper of our size. we're hoping this wine coverage will pull in readers far beyond us serious wine geeks.

i have some ideas for this space, but i'd like to get all of yours as well.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 03-03-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 03-03-2004

Depends on the nature of the "news." Don't think the clientele of a typical local newspaper would be interested in what conglomorate bought what winery, but would be interested in consumer oriented stories. Some examples would be: "Spain still a source of wonderful wine values", or "Great wine from Argentina available right here in Tampa Bay."

- newsguy - 03-03-2004

i agree with you, IK. those types of topics, however, seem more like ideas for feature stories or columns that would serve as the lead to the package. the space i'm soliciting ideas for would come after that, and before the wine listings. i definitely agree that we should be pointing out values as much as possible, and having a local angle as often as we can.

- Thomas - 03-03-2004

newsguy, I write a couple of wine columns. My slant has always been to write about the practical uses of wine--wine with food, wine pricing, et al.

And then, for the real hook, I write my opinions and impressions on the wine news items that someone else has covered. This end of the column always produces interest because there is so often a counter, contrary or alternative opinion to prevailing news and wisdom. But you have to have that contrarian sensibility to pull it off--of which I have an ample supply...

- tandkvd - 03-03-2004

The Charlotte Desturber has a Wine and Spirits colum on Wednesday's. Some times it is prety good. Todays artical is "Tuscan patriarch still perfecting family's Chianti". It is about Piero Antinori and his family's 600 year history in the wine buisness. A good story, but at the end they give "Highly Recomended Wines":
2001 Tignanello, Toscana Indicatione Geografica Tipica $85
2000 Tignanello $85
1997 Tignanello (not in stores)
1990 Tignanello (not in stores)
1983 Tignanello (not in stores)

I would like to see recomendations of wines that most people are going to try. And in general more informitive wine colums that would be of intrest to the average wine consumer.

- Thomas - 03-03-2004

yep tand--that's what I mean by "the practical."

- tandkvd - 03-03-2004

I missed your responce you must have gotten it in while I was writing.
Sounds like you have a good approch. What paper do you write for? I would like to see your colum.

- quijote - 03-03-2004

I like the ideas mentioned, and "wine with food" articles can really go a long way.

Other ideas might include:

-Wine profile at specific seasons--Kosher wines for Passover, Champagne and other bubblies for New Year, sweet wines at Valentines Day.

-Winemakers in Florida and the southern U.S.

-Country or region profiles: what's going on in California, Australia, Spain, etc.

-The recent popularization of fine wine (the anti-"wine snob" trend)

-How people describe wine

-Funny bottle shapes

-Screwcap vs. Cork

-To sniff or not to sniff

-How restaurants arrange their wine menus

If you have an upstart streak, you might recommend

-Florida's status as a "felony state"

-The legacy of Prohibition in the U.S. or south

-Wine and religion

- hotwine - 03-03-2004

I think it would be possible to focus a "wine news" feature on local developments. For example, many readers of the column would probably appreciate being informed of scheduled tastings at local retailers; appearance in the column would constitute valuable free publicity to the retailers and help stimulate traffic and sales. And I think your readers would also appreciate being advised of "new" wines becoming available from local distributors to local retailers. A bit of research on your part could unearth reviews from the national and international press on the "new" wines that could be quoted in the column and again, serve to increase retail traffic and sales. You could also invite readers to call/write/email questions, such as "What retailer in our area carries XYZ Cab?" And my favorite, "Why don't the local distributor Mafiosi offer (pick-a-wine)?"

- Thomas - 03-04-2004

tand, if I could get your mailing address I will ask the editor to send you a copy of the monthly for which I write. It's produced in Olean, NY--The Muse.

I also write for the Elmira Star Gazette but that column has been changed lately to"local" news instead of specific wine--although since the locl news covers the Finger Lakes wine inustry, I will often cover it.

- winoweenie - 03-04-2004

Hi Newsie.Coming events are certainly a definate and if your area doesn't have a charity wine auction, organize that puppy. Gets money into worthy causes and lots of interest in the community. We're in our 3rd year in Phoenix and it has become a solid event. I like the idea of new releases. Southern will give you theirs I'm sure and you, like us, have lots of small periphial distributors who'd love the publicity. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-04-2004

Good going, Newsguy! Other suggestions for features: how to arrange an informal wine tasting for friends at home, review local restaurants for the quality of their wine lists and pricing policies (do they charge 1.5 times retail price or triple), food and wine pairings such as wines for Asian fusion cuisine, wines appropriate for seasfood and sushi, wines with ham or lamb at Easter, etc.
Find some wine fanciers in the area and interview them about how they became interested in wines, what wines they select for everyday drinking or special occasions, their collecting habits (if they do collect and store). Maybe profile a state-of-the-art wine cellar in the area with photos. Tie in wine with travel articles--on your trip to Tuscany or the Loire Valley or Canada... and suggest visiting wineries as well as gardens, Chateaux, Niagara Falls or whatever. Historical feature on Thomas Jefferson as vintner and wine collector.
Article on deciphering German labels, French labels, Italian labels, etc.