WineBoard
Moving Day!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Moving Day!!! (/thread-20054.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Drew - 06-19-2002

Well it's here....MOVING DAY!!! Tomorrow 6/20, finally the end to all of this hell. I'll be offline for a while so drink a toast to me and be good.

Drew

- Bucko - 06-19-2002

Good luck on the move -- we are homeless ourselves.

- hotwine - 06-19-2002

Here's hopin' all you homeless folks get settled in yo' new digs real soon, now, ya heah?

- winedope1 - 06-20-2002

happy day- or it will be soon ! Best luck to all- if you need a Labrador "carry and fetch dog " to help, let me know. : )

- Innkeeper - 06-20-2002

Hopefully will never have to go through that drill again. Best of luck to both of you. May your marriages and wine cellars hold together.

- zenda2 - 06-20-2002

Good luck, Drew and Bucko. Better you than me.

- winoweenie - 06-21-2002

When the Blue-Blazes be the Open House? WW

- Drew - 06-23-2002

We're in and it only took 10 1/2 hours to move!!! The moving company underestemated the move and the truck couldn't get up our drive so the 3 moving guys, "Amigo's", had to hoof the furniture and all up 300' of drive to the house. Unhappy folks but really nice guys and they did a great job. 8am to 10:30 pm, I can't tell you the last time I felt bone tired. This is a wonderfull house and Eileen and I are very happy, and overwhelmed, and looking to the future. BTW, open house is any time anyone wants to visit including a bed and wine. Thanks to all for the kind words and well wishes. Bucko, are you in yet or should I send my guys to you?

Drew

- hotwine - 06-23-2002

Congrats, Drew, and best wishes in your new digs!

- Bucko - 06-23-2002

Glad you are in the house, Drew! Moving is definitely traumatic, especially after being in a home for 14 years like us -- lots of "stuff" accumulates.

We are living in a hotel until our home is ready, about 3 more weeks. Hey, as I tell people who ask me how I'm managing, I lived in friggin' chicken houses during Desert Storm. This is a piece of cake.

- winoweenie - 06-24-2002

Can't believe that I miss all the fun things. 300' and uphill....Be still my heart!
Glad your in and as soon as I recover from my excursion to the deep south, I'll drink a toeast to you and yours. BPR. WW

- hotwine - 06-24-2002

Everything is relative, that's for sure. Memories of service life give a person an appreciation for lots of things that others take for granted.....like a roof over your head, nookie, a hot shower, nookie, a warm dry bed, nookie, three squares a day, and then there's ... nookie....

You could critique the hotel restaurant's winelist, Bucko, and the waitstaff, and just make yourself thoroughly obnoxious while you're there.

- Drew - 06-24-2002

Does your wife know about Nookie?! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- hotwine - 06-24-2002

Nope. That was in the days "B.D." ("before Debra"). She was in her early to mid-teens then.
Hey Drew, when you get a little snow & ice on that 300 ft hillside driveway, you'll have an excuse to stay home from work! ("Whoops, can't get out. See ya when it thaws!") I had that "problem" when we lived along a country road that had low-water crossings of a creek to both the north and south of the house; when we got heavy rain, the creek would rise and flood those crossings, and I'd call in with "Creek's on the rise, can't get out! See ya when the water goes down." (heh, heh)

- Bucko - 06-24-2002

No wine list! They do have a so so spirits list.

Desert Shield/Storm was dry. We used to get a lot of packages with peroxide bottles -- mysteriously filled with Scotch.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 06-24-2002

Funny how the supply system works. Possession of hooch was prohibited by general order in my outfit ("misbehavior before the enemy", a felony), but I laid hands on a federal supply catalog once, and lo and behold, it listed "medicinal brandy" by federal stock number; was intended for issue to Navy vessels for use in reviving folks fished out of the drink. I submitted a punched card with name, unit, and FSN, and gave it to the supply sergeant, and sat back and waited. About six weeks later, he sent me a note that I had a supply order for pick-up. Loaded it into the jeep, and opened it in the privacy of my tent, and there were 144 tiny bottles of Hennessey Five-Star, the size bottle used on airlines. I gave 'em away by the handful, to get rid of the evidence. But that stuff was sure nice.

- hotwine - 06-24-2002

Bucko, somebody was sure taking good care of you! My care packages only included cookies, Kool-Ade (to cut the taste of treated paddy water) and Tabasco (for dressin' up C-rats). Wish I had gotten some of that "peroxide."

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2002

Guess you don't want to hear about those rusty Blue Ribbon cans at Danang again that had to opened with a church key. That was '71-'72. When did aluminum pop tops come out; 1960 or so?

- hotwine - 06-24-2002

For us in '67-'68, it was rusty Ballentine's, IK. It must have sat on the docks at Da Nang for months before being shipped up-country. We were charged 10 cents per can for it (Coke was 15 cents), and were still being ripped off (ration was two cans per day, but nobody ever saw that much). Much preferred the Viet stuff, '33' or 'Chat Noir'; those were 100p, iced down in a mama-san's chogey basket under bamboo leaves, as we hoofed it in from the field. Always suspected I might get a surprise when those leaves were pulled back, like a live grenade, but never had a problem that way.

Man...how did I get on that subject? Back to Drew's & Bucko's moving....Bucko must have sold his old house and had to clear out before the 'new' one was ready...

- Bucko - 06-24-2002

Paid our asking price, so hard to turn it down -- a military couple, doc and nurse.