WineBoard
Cold remedy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Cold remedy (/thread-20031.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2004

I have a head cold starting up so Judy got me something called Zicam to help. It's in a little pump spray bottle and you're supposed to spray 4 times into your mouth every 3 hours until the cold symptoms are gone. They claim it shortens the duration of the cold. Anyway, I sprayed yesterday before dinner, and for the rest of the evening everything tasted like crap! This is the vilest stuff to ever hit my taste buds! It ruined a nice dinner and what Judy said was a nice Franciscan Merlot. What's worse, the taste lasts for at least an hour. Yuck! So, if you have a cold coming on and you're tempted to try this, or any other, zinc remedy, consider yourself forewarned.

- winoweenie - 01-14-2004

Bet Judy had more fun than usual [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]. WW

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2004

I know she had more of the wine than I did.

- njjchiro - 01-14-2004

KC if you take Mom's chicken soup every day your cold will last about a week, with Zycam it will last about 7 days.......humm, chicken soup sounds pretty good!

Hope you feel better soon

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2004

This weather doesn't help, njjchiro, as you know. It was -11 F with a -31 wind chill when I left the house this morning. It's warmed way up to 0. That leaves the door open for WW to tell us it's 65 going up to @80 in Phoenix. Bummer!

- Thomas - 01-14-2004

I just heard from ww--he said it's only 78 out there.

Ah yes, another cold remedy. nj got it right. They all last from 3 to 7 days--chicken soup is the only remedy that tastes good, and makes you feel better for a while.

The one thing I abhor is not being able to breath when trying to sleep--for a remedy for that (one that works) I would give up a limb--maybe!

- hotwine - 01-14-2004

A cold remedy:

Pour 2 oz. white rum into a coffee mug. Add juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey, then fill cup with boiling water. Drink two of these toddies for the body and go to bed; you'll feel a whole lot better when you wake up. Repeat as necessary the next night (I'm usually back to enjoying wine by then).

- winoweenie - 01-14-2004

Boy does this get boring. Another 79* day here in the desert. Don the shorts aand T-Shirt. WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] By the way, What's a Cold? (snicker,grin,hehe)

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2004

Well, it never got above 0 here today. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. This is getting old real quick.

- hotwine - 01-14-2004

Sounds like a good time to get into the business of peddlin' southern real estate.

- winoweenie - 01-15-2004

Came on early jes' to lets' youse know that the dumb-bunny weather snooker here missed the high today by 4* already. It's 76 and climbing.ww

- Kcwhippet - 01-15-2004

A little later in the day, but it's -5 and dropping. Going for the all time record. Last night Mt Washington (New Hampshire) was -40 air temp and -100 wind chill.

- thewoodman - 01-15-2004

KC did you read the directions? I have htis stuff and mine says to spray it in your nose...I din't find that it worked, but at least I didn't have to put it in my mouth.

- Innkeeper - 01-15-2004

What a night! It is 8 degress below zero right now, and is slated to go to 15 degrees below registered tonight for a new record. Around three hours ago, for the first time in the sixteen years we have lived here, we ran out of oil! Fortunately the troops got here in good time, refilled the tank, and bled the burner. Nice and toasty now!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-16-2004).]

- Bucko - 01-16-2004

That kind of weather is not the time to run out of oil. I hope you had a backup system!

- tandkvd - 01-16-2004

Out weather can't make up it's mind. Two weeks ago it was in the mid to uper 70's, one week later we had snow and highs in the teens. This week we started out in the 60's, today were going to see a high in the 40's.

I'm wearing sweats one day and shorts the next.

But I don't see how ya'll handle that cold, non-stop up there IK. Brrrrrrrr!!

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 01-16-2004).]

- winoweenie - 01-16-2004

Got goose-bumps on my goose-bumps. WW

- Georgie - 01-16-2004

We had our first snow day yesterday. What a treat! It's what gets this teacher through the winter. I cooked, baked, cleaned, and knit...a veritable model of domesticity! I'm doing Weight Watchers, so my wine consumption is seriously curtailed these days. I'm having a glass of Port only once or twice a week....it's not easy.

- Kcwhippet - 01-16-2004

It was -16 this morning when I left the house. Wind chill was about -45. It's "warmed" up to -8 with a -36 wind chill. All the schools are closed because they don't want the kids standing out in that cold waiting for the buses.

- hotwine - 01-16-2004

Holy cow, I can't imagine such cold! There'll probably be a population explosion in the NE about mid-October, from folks just tryin' to stay warm this month.

Rain & fog here, temps varying from low 50's to about 60. Good day to barbecue.