WineBoard
Did ebberbody go on sabbatical - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Did ebberbody go on sabbatical (/thread-19929.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- winoweenie - 05-06-2004

to commisserate wif' me? Not one post on drinkin' enny booze yesserday to help balm my frazzeled nerves. C'mon youse guys post on a wine so I can salivate a little and live somewhat vicariously during this 2 week otdeal. SHEESH!!!!WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 05-06-2004

Sympahties, WW. I had an Allegrini Palazzo della Torre with chicken-topped pizza Tues PM, and a Tommasi PG with grilled salmon and artichokes last night. Monday night, we had Le Camassot VdP du Vaucluse but can't recall the meal.... just that I had opened the wine on Saturday and Vacu-Vin'd it to let it open slowly. Crazy, but have found that one improves markedly over 48 hours - doesn't even taste like the same cheapo French juice.

- wondersofwine - 05-06-2004

I'll post today but you won't be drooling over my wines--a Hogue Riesling and a Biltmore Estate Sauvignon Blanc--two sissy whites. (Actually I will open the Biltmore wine tonight so will post tomorrow on it.)

- Innkeeper - 05-06-2004

Well, we had a plan to do our Cinco de Mayo dinner at home yesterday with a TJ Dusi Zin, but got stuck in a hospital in Bangor most of the day while a friend underwent the knife. All is well so far. So, after finding a line around the block at Margarita's in Oreno, went back to Pepino's in Bangor, where after a fifteen minute wait we got seated. It was excellent. Food washed down with a suprisingly good homemade Sangria, made with an unknown Garnacha.

We try our thing tonight, maybe.

- dananne - 05-06-2004

I, too, have noticed a dip in the TN postings, though I haven't done much to help in that regard. I have to confess that with the wife on a new diet, I've been going solo for the past week or so. Therefore, I've been drinking mostly everyday stuff. Had an '01 Abadia Retuerta Rivola from Spain that was pretty nondescript and a bit below the previous two efforts. Popped an '01 Villa Mt. Eden Coastal Pinot that was also a bit lagging from the '00 I had last year. Finally, I had an '01 Folie a Deux Petit Folie Menage a Trois blend (used to be weighed towards Cab, now is mostly Zin). This is going to sound like a broken record, but it wasn't up to the '99 and '00, which had a delightful eucalyptus thing going.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, where I hope to try something more exciting (and satisfying).

- Drew - 05-06-2004

Wassa matter you ole fart...can't drink with the big boys anymoorses???? I'm sucking on a 1968 perfectly stored Heitz Martha's Cab. Jealous?

DRew

- winoweenie - 05-06-2004

Thanks guys. And for you Drew, I HATE YOU!!!(even tho i no it's your vivid imagination).WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 05-06-2004

Uh oh! Is that what I have to look forward to in my advancing age? As we speak, I'm sipping on a 2000 Acorn Sangiovese prior to pulling some pizza out of the oven.

- hotwine - 05-06-2004

Had an '02 Cline Red Truck tonight. Pretty much a fruit bomb without terroir IMHO.... maybe change with air time.

I've lately been consuming familiar wines for the most part, so haven't felt the need to post TN's unless something's changed in my perception of the juice.

- Drew - 05-07-2004

Gil, I had a Red Truck the night before also and, like you, found it to be a non descript, unexciting fruit bomb and rather un-Cline like.

Drew

- californiagirl - 05-07-2004

I tried the red truck about a month ago. Made a tasting note to not buy this one again. Actually dumped out the bottle, (sorry WW). Found it very weak and very un-Cline. Can someone describe this to me? It had what I call the "cheap wine" finish. Extremely tart... like sour apples. What's that?

- winoweenie - 05-07-2004

BAAAAADDDD Juice CG!WW. Even this post reminds me of some terrible bottles I've discarded also. Less than a week to go. WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-07-2004

Here's what the WineSpitter had to say:

"CLINE Red Truck California 2002 (88 points, $10)
Ripe and intense, with a refreshing burst of pomegranate, mineral, cherry and pine tones, with firm tannins and a lively structure. Debut vintage of this new blend. Mourvèdre, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Alicante Bouschet and Pinot Noir. Drink now through 2007. 14,840 cases made. Best Values. From California."

Thay must have an entirely different bottling than the one I had (and most everyone else here, it seems). It tastes, to me, more like the assemblage some wineries are now making from the juice they bleed off off from the crush to make the remaining wine more concentrated - sort of a vin gris, but a bit too disjointed.

- hotwine - 05-07-2004

Sure sounds like we're all on the same page. The Speculator folks must have gotten a special bottling. I gave it an 84 in the database and felt even that was generous. Also noted that my remaining five bottles will probably be taking up space in the cellar for 'way too long.

Had a part-time housekeeper a couple of years ago that I could give cooked wines and otherwise bad juice. Where is she when I need her?

- newsguy - 05-07-2004

WW,

i'm in a difficult situation right now regarding posting tasting notes. i have dozens of them from the past couple months, but our paper's about to start its expanded wine coverage and i need to find out exactly how much i'll be contributing to that. i can't in good conscience post TNs here before they are printed in the paper. and this is killing me, cause i've had some incredibly value wines lately!

- Thomas - 05-07-2004

Just finished a hard day of ripping out flooring and bush-hogging some truly tall (and wet) grass. SAnd then, my wife demanded that I clean up my office/music room--just for you guys. If I had known that would be required I would have uninvited the whole lot of you.

Now, I am sipping a Campari and seltzer with lime. Later--lamb chops with a fine Rhone but haven't decided which one--maybe two of them.

Hey, ww, I am putting together a five-hour jazz CD line-up for the drive Thursday. You really needn't bring any of your own, unless you must!

- winoweenie - 05-07-2004

As a guest in your vehicle I'll graciously accept your selections. I'ffn' enny be KennyG the, I'm hitch-hikin' to the Inn. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 05-08-2004

Kenny G in my car--or in my life! You have managed to hurt my tender feelings...

Is Yanni ok???

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-08-2004).]

- chittychattykathy - 05-09-2004

Sure, go ahead and mock the artists that live in Washington State...

- chittychattykathy - 05-09-2004

BWT- I too need to use my reviews for $ before I put them on here-- and lately with all my movin' around I've just been enjoying the wines instead of breaking them down or taking notes. I promise, back to work in a few weeks and I will post some notes on some very new/small wineries here in WA.