WineBoard
Shouldabin... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Shouldabin... (/thread-19924.html)

- Thomas - 12-09-2000

in the rants section, but I did want to welcome CCK back and say I couldna seditbedda. Only ww can decipher that, I suppose. Oh yeah, ww, welcome to the 1,000 club; now tell me what it is!

Anyway, going off on 2 sections for one string makes me crazy, so if anyone has juice left for the WS-guru topic, add it here. Me--I cried UNCLE; remember?

- Innkeeper - 12-09-2000

Having waded through the whole two sections of the WS thing, did not see, or maybe missed the fact that in their top 100 there was no Bordeaux! None, zero, aught, cipher. Isn't that amazing? On the other hand there were 17 Rhones, mostly CDPs; more than the rest of France or Tuscany and Piedmont put together.

As far red grape varieties were concerned there was more touriga nacional (whatever that is) - 3, than pinot noir - 2. The number two red grape after cabernet was grenache! That was the impact of the CDP again. Number three was syrah/shiraz. There was more than half as many rieslings (6) as there were chardonnays (11). The total number of whites (21) compared unfavorably to the reds where 33 were cabernet alone. That should make WW happy.

- winoweenie - 12-09-2000

I still `aint takin` back what I said `bout Shanken and Laube. WW Even those blind hogs find an acorn ebber now-n-then.

- mrdutton - 12-09-2000

Of the three local wine shops I frequent the most, the snooty one appears to be the one catering to "them guys wit da speculum in one hand and da bucks in da udder".

Cuz when I walked in there yesterday to browse (this shop is the one where I primarily browse, rather than buy - unless I have a specific case order for him), his shelves all had little tags on them.

Written on the tags in bold letters: # 50 of 100, # 10 of 100, # 35 of 100....... You get the drift, I'm sure. Looked like he had about 20 of the top 100 in stock. He did not have any of the top 9.

As an aside, his Caymus was marked at $175 a bottle for the special reserve and about $85.00 "regular" vintage - didn't memorize the year. (Went back there with a friend so he could buy some cigars - while he was choking on the smoke I checked the vintage on the Caymus. It was 1997.)

Didn't buy anything either. Then I went to my favorite local shop and they were not even touting one bottle of the WS top 100. However, they have a lot of very good to very fine wine on their shelves....... I bought a 1999 Languedoc for $6.99. It drinks quite beautifully; lots of fruit, nice acid level and a decent finish.

WW has a good point (I think it was he): All that wine, so little time.......

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-09-2000).]

- Botafogo - 12-09-2000

We only post WS scores when they are under 75/100 on a wine we (and our customers!) really love like the time they gave a 71 to a really famous Barbera Vivace (which said ON THE LABEL that it was frizzante and should be served chilled) and the notes read "strangely effervescent, amateurish winemaking, tasted twice"!!!!! Or, like when they gave the Italian Sommeliers Association's Wine of the Year (White), a Friulian Sauvignon Blanc, a 73 and COMPLAINED that "this wine needs food to be enjoyable"!!!!

Our customers LOVE it when we do that.

Roberto

- Drew - 12-09-2000

For me there's no gray area with WS. They either hit the nail or miss the target completely. I really love Rhones and WS highlighted a 1998 Vin de Pys d'Oc "Les Bateaux" syrah by Lurton rating it 87 points at $7. Well I searched and searched and finally found a small cache in a bargain bin for $3 a bottle. I thought I'd found the mythical holy grail! Bought all ten and what a dull, uninteresting, boring wine. I gave most away. As a side note...do I still get credit for these posts that were redirected from my orig. thread? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-09-2000

If it comes down to a recount, being a member of the esteemed, revered, and highly intelligent members of the 1000 club, I vote to deduct the 3 posts Drew has made out of line context. Sorry Drewskie ole` bean but rule-be-rule. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 12-10-2000).]

- winecollector - 12-11-2000

Don't accept that answer, Drew! I suggest you hold your breath, stomp your feet, pound your fist on the podium, and ask the Supreme Court to intervien!

- Drew - 12-11-2000

I've already appealed to the highest, most esteemed, grand forum of them all........ The Jerry Springer Show!

Drew

- chittychattykathy - 12-12-2000

Foodie, Thanks! I have been, I am, busy, busy, busy! (Have missed many posts this month.) Sales are great though, better then last year, so far. Taking a well deserved over-night break this weekend in Vancouver BC.
Have my favorite wine shop, and chocolate shop to hit first, then a fragrant swing by Lush for bath bombs, orange-cinnamon soaps and other treats, followed by a great meal at either "C' or the Raintree. (& some late-night dancing. I need it!!!)