WineBoard
I need a simple answer for 2 simple questions PLEASE!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I need a simple answer for 2 simple questions PLEASE!! (/thread-19855.html)

- MrGarrison - 08-01-2000

OK - I read some of the questions and answers regarding what to do when you open a bottle, but do not finish it. What about this though: If I open a bottle and have a glass or two and may not get back to the bottle for a couple nights, maybe even a week, what should I do? Refrig? Leave out? Will it still retain its taste that long?

#2: I have found myself buying mostly merlot's. Every white I have tasted (only a few) has tasted like burnt popcorn (best I could think of). Too much oak taste I guess? What then would be a good white, or red wine, that isn't dry like most merlots, but is still sweet? THANKS ALL!

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2000

Welcome to the Wine Board.
Ques #1: Put it in a smaller wine bottle type bottle that it barely fits in, and stick a cork it. Store in the fridge.
Ques #2: Scroll down on this thread to the post entitled: "A Few Suggestions Please."

- MrGarrison - 08-01-2000

Hey thanks IK. I have been doing some reading here on the board and have gotten some good ideas...here is one more for you (if you have the time). My wife (soon to be) doesn't seem to like the taste of a good Merlot, too dry I think. What should I buy for her to try?

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2000

To determine if it's the Merlot or the dryness, get a Sutter Home Merlot. If she doesn't like it, it's the Merlot. Would then try a Beaujolais or a Cru Beaujolais such as Moulin-A-Vent. An Italian Barbara would be another avenue to explore. A Barbara d'Alba or d'Asti in the lower price ranges would be a good choice (the higher the price of these wines the "bigger" [more overwhelming for a novice] they get). The Beaujolais and Barbaras are loaded with upfront fruit which gives to some people, the illusion of sweetness (sorry guys, there we go again).

- Garbo - 08-15-2000

1. While pouring into a smaller container is best, it's not always possible. We've found the rubber vac-u-seal things to work really well for a couple of days, though the wine does change a bit it remains drinkable.

2. Other reds: Pinot Noir (I like Foxen Santa Maria Vineyard) or try a meritage like Bonny Doon's Big House Red. Very drinkable and cheap enough for pizza night. Other whites that don't taste like burnt popcorn: How about a viognier (peachy but rich -- Foxen also has a good one) or a malvasia (Bonny Doon Ca Del Solo Malvasia Bianca).

- George11 - 08-30-2000

1. The smaller bottle for storage works really well. I also read where you can put glass marbles in the bottle to increase the volume/get rid of the excess air in which then you can re-cork and store in the fridge for a couple of days.

2. My wife and I both enjoy good whites. Try chardonnays from New Zealand or even Chenin Blancs, I think you will enjoy them.